Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sunday Thoughts

During their eighteen month mission to Myanmar, my parents taught several English classes, one being held in the small building where the Yangon branch met on a weekly basis. My sisters and I accompanied my parents to their classes while we were visiting and during one class, my dad had each of us sit in smaller groups with about eight of their students and converse in English.

Most of the student's English was very rudimentary and the possible topics were limited to our names, our families, our ages and hobbies. However, I believe one topic that was brought up with each group was what I thought of Myanmar.

I made sure to reply with enthusiasm about their beautiful land (it's really stunning), their art and the kindness of the people. Likewise, the question usually turned and a few wanted to give their opinions about America.

There can't be many things as embarrassing as what America looks like on TV. Most of these people had never met any Americans outside of the humanitarian missionaries from the church, but they did know who Britney Spears was. My only defense was to emphatically tell them, "Most American people are not anything like Britney Spears!"

Today, in Sacrament Meeting, a soft-spoken and kind man serving in the bishopric made a few comments about the unfortunate hostility displayed towards the LDS church this week following the passing of Proposition 8 in California. With sadness in his voice, he wondered what the world was coming to when one police officer overheard another police officer make the comment "I hope they burn it down" referring to the Los Angeles temple as protesters started to climb the temple fence. He sorrowed that the temple grounds in Salt Lake City could become a place of fear instead of peace after an envelope containing white powder was mailed to an office building on Temple square. I agree. These stories make me sad and, I admit....mad.

Does this building offend you?

But as I sat there, I remembered explaining to an impressionable Myanmar teenager about the millions upon millions of good, decent, non-insane clothes wearing Americans that never make it on the TV shows or magazine covers. Our news, our movies, our television shows don't really represent who we are and how we act. I can't help but feel the same rules apply in their case.

Clearly, the gay and lesbian movement has some bad apples - some Britney Spears in their midst. Those bad apples are obviously more exciting than the quiet, peaceful protesters and as a result, they make the news with their hateful signs, deplorable behavior and intolerant remarks. But the whole group is not - cannot be hateful, deplorable, and intolerant. We, as human beings, just aren't.

I am in favor of protecting the definition of traditional marriage and I am not a bigot. Defining marriage as something between a man and a woman is not the definition of hate. Thinking so is no different than George Bush saying, "You're either with us, or against us." Yes. That's right. You agree with George Bush (Gasp!). I believe in the Golden Rule and I believe every man, woman and child is a literal child of God. I firmly believe that men are that they have joy. I've heard this argument to defend those who want same-sex marriages to be legal - that every person has the right to be happy and to be married to the person they love. I agree...in part.

The Declaration of Independence states:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

There's the hiccup. Are our rights given to us by our government, which is most definitely secular, or by our "Creator" - God, who is holy? If given by God, which is what is written, then, ideally, our legal rights should match perfectly with our eternal, spiritual rights. However, more often they do not and are thus held, in my opinion, to a lesser standard. So, if the gay and lesbian movement wants the secular, non-holy government to give them the green light to be legally joined together, then I think they have the right to pursue that possibility. But, they seem to want more than a green light.

I think what they really want, just like myself, is to feel the joy that God promises. They use the phrase "pursuing happiness" and, unfortunately, have been deceived that this kind of happiness - joy - is possible to attain while committing sin. Yes, I believe engaging in homosexuality is a sin. My source for believing that comes from the same source that tells me murder, adultery, stealing, lying and cheating are sins. Justification by using alternative interpretations in my mind equates to what Bill Clinton did when hedging about the definition of "is". There is right and there is wrong because there is opposition in all things. There is wickedness and righteousness - misery and joy. I want my brothers and sisters to be happy on earth, because that's the here and now that we know, but I want their eternal happiness more. I don't believe turning our backs on truth is doing anyone a favor. I certainly don't think accepting sin is an act of love.

THE act of love.

So, I sit here on a Sunday evening...in limbo land, wishing for calm and understanding. The brave, brave souls who worked tirelessly for passage of Prop 8 in California had every right to express their beliefs through the democratic process just as the groups protesting now have the same right to stand in front of courthouses and government buildings peacefully waving signs. It's the goons on either side that don't belong.

Even though the news doesn't fairly represent the debate and there are a few who spoil the efforts of many, the democratic process, protests and all, is one of the best faces of America and one I would be proud to show the people of Myanmar.

12 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I remember your comments about Myanmar's interpretation of America when you visited. It was good to hear those thoughts revisited.

". . . as endowed by their Creator" is a powerful sentence, isn't it? I love that line and all for which it holds us accountable. There is no doubt in my mind The Declaration of Independence is an inspired document.

I really enjoyed your thoughts on this. Calling homosexuality a sin has not been politically correct, and yet it doesn't change the nature of the behavior. I, too, believe man is in constant search for joy and would like to see all mankind find it on this earth and for that I am willing to be unpopularly politically incorrect.

As far as the violent outbursts, I love Brigham Young's quote, "Every time you kick 'Mormonism' you kick it upstairs; you never kick it downstairs. The Lord Almighty so orders it."

These sad outbursts can't help but make me excited for the possibilities and the joy that will find because of it.

Sorry my comments are scattered...your posts have a tendency to make me think in lots of directions--thanks.

Amber said...

Lucy,
I just want to tell you thanks for a wonderful summation of the situation with fairness and understanding. I'm going to linky to my blog if that's okay.

jenny said...

Well said friend.

I too remember your post about Mynamar. Sadly, one of my friends, friends in California owns a well known restaurant in LA that is being effected by Prop 8 outcome. It is family owned that has been around for 70 years. Somehow her name was mentioned in the paper and tied to being a Mormon which has caused several protesters and gay activists to stand outside of their restaurant. It's so sad.

Vanessa said...

I, too, pray for peace and understanding on this issue. I have seriously thought and read and prayed and thought and read about this almost obsessively and wish that I could see things clearly. Convictions seem to come so easily to some...I tend to make things more difficult. Maybe it is me being too sensitive, but the fact that I haven't received the same answer as most people in the church leaves me feeling isolated and unworthy...as if I am sinning....this is extremely painful for me. Sometimes I think we Mormons may get so focused on eternal salvation that we forget who we are trampling on to get there. I wonder if this is the best way to help gays and lesbians feel the pure love of Christ. I believe that "the opposition in all things" and "misery and joy" also applies to each of us individually...I have my own miserable demons to fight....hopefully I will find enventual solace in the opposition that this issue has wrought in my soul. Thanks for your thought. I admire your faith and personal truth.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Lucy, sorry for the double comment, but was wishing I'd added this website link to my comments because I have referred to it often and found it very helpful.

http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/public-issues/same-gender-attraction

Erin said...

I enjoy your thought process and have to agree about the "green light" issue.

The vocal ones of the gay and lesbian community think that Mormons are infringing on separation of church and state. They feel we should remove our religion at the voting booth and vote based upon legality and not commandments.

It's a very sad commentary on our time, and the godlessness that is overwhelming our country. When we forget God, He forgets us.

I think this is the quintessential "in the world but not of the world" moment. We HAVE to keep an eternal perspective, even if others think we shouldn't.

donna said...

I have been reading and watching a lot of news that last few days. To see and to hear what some of the protesters have said ( thing about our church) and have done. It makes me so sad. We can’t sit on the fence anymore. We need to speak out and Protect Marriage.
Ryan and i have family members that live the Gay life-style. We love them, But we don’t support them and we don’t agree with the life style they live. I also believe every man, woman and child is a Child of God. Yes our Heavenly Father wants all of us to be happy. But we must follow out Heavenly Father’s plan. The Gay life style is not that plan of our Heavenly Father has made for us.

I also agree that everyone should have the right to be married. AND we do have the right, if it is between a man and a women.

donna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen Childers said...

I enjoyed reading this...it came after reading the articles the Church put out in their Newsroom link that neighbor jayne mentioned. We were counseled by our Relief Society, who were counseled by our Stake Presidency, who were counseled by the "bretheren" to familiarize ourselves with these areticles, so we could talk with those that may have issues with us as members of the Church. I love how you think and put your thoughts down. Thanks for this wonderful post!

Lisa said...

I love your Sunday thoughts! I have a friend whose mom works at the LA Temple. She said that even though it was terrible, something good actually came out of it because the guards who were there could actually feel a difference by being on the Temple grounds. I guess some of them were talking about what a special place it was and how they didn't even know it was there before.

{krista} said...

I think this whole thing is going to be a true test of our faith. Thanks for writing this.

Denise said...

I'm having my own natural-man struggles with this. I want to lash out, not turn the other cheek. But I'm trying.

I do believe there are a lot of good people out there who don't appreciate how their cause is being portrayed or pursued. Unfortunately, the vocal ones are making everyone look bad, and hurting a lot of people in the process.