Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Post Election Thoughts

In forty years, will I remember who I voted for and and why in the 2008 presidential election? Will I remember how I felt upon hearing the results? Not if I don't write it down.

For this reason, and this reason only, I want to write about how I feel about electing Barack Hussein Obama into a chapter of American history. In other words, I have no stomach for debate.

The campaign was so long. I remember first hearing about Obama almost two years ago while living in Spokane. It irritated me that so many people liked him without knowing anything about him. He seemed all hype. I remember seeing a political cartoon that showed a young 20-something woman wearing a large belt buckle emblazoned with a glittery "OBAMA" and saying, "I don't know what it is, but I want it." The Obama girl song bombarded Youtube. Liking Obama meant you were cool and hip, part of the MTV crowd, and because I am none of those things, I didn't want anything to do with him.

That seems eons ago. Somehow, this one-term senator from Illinois moved from being an Internet sensation to being the overwhelming choice for President of the United States. Did people vote for him because a big-busted girl sang a song about liking him? No.

President-Elect Obama has charisma. He is an innate leader and gifted communicator. I listened to him and wanted to cheer, even though he didn't represent my politics or my views on many moral, economic and diplomatic issues. I guess you could say he has the "it" factor.

But as the campaign wore on, and the throng of adoring fans grew larger, I stepped back to check my own motivations for liking the man. Was I voting for a rock star or a president?

I decided I needed to start looking at this election with my head, and not my heart and in doing so, Obama lost a bit of his sparkle. His comments about "spreading the wealth around" and "economic justice" are so contrary to what I feel the purpose of taxation should be. More and more promises that require more and more money worried me. Was he advocating handing out fish or was he planning on teaching man to fish? The final straw was kicking reporters who worked for papers that didn't endorse his presidency off of his campaign trail to make room for more zealots.

As I went into vote yesterday morning, I knew who and what I was going to vote for. Each amendment, candidate - local, state and national - and referendum had been studied. When I began selecting boxes on the touch screen in front of me, my first selection was for McCain/Palin.

I finished voting, pushed "Next" several times until I came to the "Cast Ballot" button.

I paused.

What did I really want? Was the most important thing to vote for the guy who promises not to raise my taxes? No. Was the most important thing to vote for the guy who promises to scare away all the bad guys? No. Was the most important thing to vote for the guy who will put the least scary judges on the bench? I hope not. No.

At that deciding moment, I wanted the best man in office. I wanted an effective communicator...an effective leader - a person who will be a strong representative for America in this global age. I wanted someone with perspective, poise, energy and, I suppose, a little charm. I wanted to vote for Obama.

So I did.

His election does not cause elation, pride, or a strong desire to link arms at Starbucks and sing along with Bruce Springsteen with fellow liberals. I don't think that because I voted for Obama, I somehow "got it right"-- a sentiment I'm not sure belongs in politics. Instead, I'm hopeful. Hopeful that the man who gave an incredible and memorable speech last night believes the powerful words he spoke. Hopeful that America listened and put its hate for those who think differently to rest. Hopeful that he can and will change some of the ugliness in American politics. Mostly hopeful that it's not a mistake to vote for a man, instead of an elephant or a donkey.

Regardless, I refuse to be a cynic or an adoring fan. At this point, I don't believe it benefits our nation to cheer or heckle our president as if he were merely the quarterback of our favorite football team or our nemesis chess rival (do people heckle at chess tournaments?) For the next four years, I will put my trust in President Obama as long as he continues to earn it.

24 comments:

donna said...

I am still very nerves about having Obama as our President. Yes he is very charming and he gives wonderful speeches. But when i listen to what he is saying, all i can here is Socialist. I will be curious to see what Obama does the next 4 years. I will be praying for our President.

Anonymous said...

Loved your thoughts on this. I'm hopeful, too, and inspired for the first time in a long time. It feels good.

If I ever need some advice on a conundrum, I am coming to you. You have a gift for thoughtful decision-making I think. And I'm not saying that because we voted for the same person. I just like the way you go about things, and that you are able to sensibly combine both thought and feeling into your life.

Shelah said...

I love this post, Lucy!

Anne said...

I'm sorry you feel that way. The man is pro-choice and that is against everything I stand for.

http://www.lifenews.com/nat4070.html

I'm very concerned for the future of our nation. We don't need socialism, we need to reeducate our populace on the principles of the Constitution.

I know you love to read, so here is a list for you. Read Ezra Taft Benson's, The Proper Role of Government & Cleon Skousen's, The 5000 Year Leap.

Lindsay said...

I'm actually really surprised by this. Yes, like Mitt Romney said, he reads a teleprompter very well but I don't see how that makes a great leader.

I am glad that you had your freedom to choose and vote your conscience, different though it was from mine.

Ginger said...

I couldn't vote for a man who never told me what he was going to do for my country and was very vague in all aspects except for the socialism part. All I heard was "change, change, change" and he never said what he will change and now I am really nervous to find out.

Barb said...

It is hard for me to comment on American politics as an outsider. I hope the best man won.

C.J. said...

Bravo, Lucy! I did not vote for President-elect Obama, but since he is now the man with that title I will support him as our President. I have spent a lot of time and energy over the last few days thinking about how to best evaluate his presidency. I feel that if he does a good job, then he ought to be able to continue doing a good job. My problem now is to determine how to evaluate if he does a good job. One of the greatest parts of living in the US of A is that you and I voted differently and yet I can't wait to see you at the next family get-together! Just don't be surprised if you're not invited "out to the farm" for a few weeks (wink, wink)!

Jen Childers said...

Very eloquent post. I'm so glad that the election is over and the campaigning will be over. I'm so grateful to live in this country that allows us to vote and elect our leader. I too put my trust in Obama and hope he finds success in his presidency!

Anonymous said...

I so admire how you think things through and question yourself and your motives, and then share it so fluidly with us all.

Unknown said...

I think hopeful is just right. And you know I am kinda one of the adoring fans, so you just made my night!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

This was interesting Lucy. I liked hearing your brain tallying back and forth on what to do.

Though my tallying took me in a different direction, I think now that the decision has been made I'd be a fool not to help him be as successful as possible. Cutting my nose off to spite my face makes me ugly AND smell-less!

Thanks for well-written posts, Lucy. I appreciate our friendship and discussions.

carlo said...

thoughtful. thought out. as usual.

for me, obama is the man who can bring people together at this crucial time. he is giving hope to the ones who have been hopeless. that is big! no, that is huge.

i believe he brings people together in droves, not because he is like a rock star but because he makes people feel as if they count. as if they matter.

i don't believe any other candidate could do that, at this time. not even my beloved hillary, as much as i hate to admit that.

i had better draft a post for my own blog now.

Erin said...

It's no secret that I'm terrified Obama won the election. His "charisma" is exactly what scares me. But just because he wasn't my choice doesn't mean I'm not going to support him, now that he is my president.

Like you, I'm hopeful. But I think for different reasons. I'm hopeful that some of his campaign points don't come to fruition. I'm a career pessimist and it's really hard to be positive. Especially when my husband works on battered Wall Street and insane taxes in New York make it impossible to make a living. But I just have to put my faith in the Lord and trust that if we follow Him, He will protect us.

I appreciate your thoughtful approach to your vote. And I love your refusal to be a "cynic or an adoring fan". Very admirable!

Lisa said...

Why can I not write as wonderful as you do? I'd like to think it is because I often write my blogs while I am trying to run a medical practice (-; Truthfully though...you have always been great with your words.

amy gretchen said...

I am too hopeful, but I think for different reasons. Now that all the 'talking' is over I'm anxious to see what he will 'do'. Doing and saying are completely different things.

I do admire you for going with what you believe and doing the work to get to that point. I love that our country allows each of us to have an opinion.

Vanessa said...

Lucy,
I am still too chicken to blog about politics for fear that my mother will find out I that would possibly vote for someone who is pro-abortion. Even if, or more likely when Obama dissapoints, isn't is nice to have hope for once in a great while? I am sure we will be all the more critical knowing how much of our HARD earned money is going to feed this machine. I expect results. You have inspired me. Maybe I will reveal my inner liberal in a future post.

Unknown said...

like you, lucy, i spent a lot of time with these candidates in my head. and i am encouraged whenever i speak with other voters who cared enough to look past the glitz and potshots.

hopeful feels good right now.

Melanie said...

I love how open you are with your thoughts. I had a lot of reasons for not voting for Obama. But now that he has won, I feel the need to support him as our new leader. And I agree with you that he is very well-spoken and charming. I'm excited at the prospects of what that might do for us. With the economy in turmoil, it can only help to have a president who can actually inspire some confidence, which our current president is incapable of doing.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and decision.

Naomi said...

Fun to read your thoughts. I am actually optimistic about having Obama as president, although I didn't vote for him. (Truth be told, I wasn't too thrilled with the other candidate, but his ideals are a little closer to mine.)

What was neat for me was seeing my half-Nigerian niece being so excited about an African-American really doing what she has always been told all her life, "You can be anything you work hard to do!" Not just a cliche in her head.

The Prop 8 outcome was more widely anticipated around our house than was the presidency. . .

jenny said...

I actually have different feelings about Obama, which I will spare on my comments. I do respect your opinion and honestly felt like McCain was the lesser of the two evils. To be honest I wasn't excited about either. Now that history is in the making hopefully something good will come of it.

Carolee said...

In making my decision I thought of the phrase "actions speak louder than words". For me Obama had only a little action to go off of and of the little action I saw it went completely contrary to my beliefs.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. Personally I feared more about what was happening in CA with Prop 8. I figured if Obama blows it we can elect someone new in 4 years but Prop. 8 has a more lasting effect.

andrea said...

In one of my favorite children's books, "Lilly and The Purple Plastic Purse" the line "Wow, and all she could say was wow" appears on every page. Wow, that's all I can say is wow. We really need that park bench now, or even better a cozy couch, some good food and our original book group girls.

This whole election has made me take a close look at myself and what I really believe. I love our country and that we have the freedom to vote and speak our mind.

Obama didn't get my vote but he does have my respect as he enters the office of the presidency.

Bridget said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts/opinions. Your words are always very thought provoking. I think too often we do what we think we should do, maybe not always what we are feeling we should do.