I have a new calling. I am no longer the Primary Chorister but instead am the 2nd counselor in the Relief Society Presidency. It's a surprise mainly due to the facts that I have only served as chorister for less than three months and had no idea who the new Relief Society President was.
Somehow, she thought of me, however, and for the next little while, I will do my best to help her, serve the sisters of my ward and try to learn whatever it is I'm supposed to learn from this new endeavor.
It's a funny thing to have a calling. When the bishop came to my home last week and asked me if I would be willing to serve as the enrichment counselor, I laughed. Pretty hard. I'm embarrassed about that now but, truthfully, this isn't something I feel particularly qualified to do. After the bishop left, Jay explained to Seth and Sam the nature of callings and their purposes. In his words, "Sometimes our callings are in something we're really good at and sometimes we are given callings because we need to learn something. Mommy is being given an opportunity to learn something new."
This will be new. I have never served in Relief Society. In fact, if I'm being honest, I feel a little uncomfortable there, always have, but that isn't going to stop me from stretching and figuring out, to the best of my ability, why the Lord wants me in there instead of primary right now. I do believe that, by the way. Sure, I've been a participant and a witness when a name submitted for a calling seems to be merely filling in an empty hole or using someone who's been waiting on the bench for awhile. I have learned that even when that happens, the Lord shows off that omnipotent knowledge of His and everything works out better than you could have planned anyway.
I'm sad, really sad, to be out of primary. I love it there. I love watching my boys and I love the leaders in there and I love the energy and the work and the joy. I hope I will soon have the same kind of feelings about Relief Society.
The rest of my Sunday was far more normal. We went to choir practice, had roast for dinner, a gluten-free chocolate cake for dessert shared with Erin, Dave and their four kids, watched The Amazing Race and then cleaned up after Henry threw up on me after getting his cough medicine (I think I'm in for a rough night).
Sunday, November 02, 2008
Sunday Thoughts
Posted by
Lucy
at
7:06 PM
Labels: Sunday Thoughts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


31 comments:
Wow - congratulations on your new calling. Don't feel too bad - I think I have laughed several times at some of my callings (definately the first time I was called as enrichment leader!!!!!)
It will be a great experience. I don't know why I always get labled as an "enrichment lady" because I am not and I really, really hate that calling. But I really did like being in the RS presidency because one, you learn a lot!!! And mostly because you grow so much love for each and every sister, even the ones you only know as a name on a paper.
You will be great!!!!!
Here's the good news...you don't have to plan a monthly Enrichment like the RS used to do. And at least you laughed. I cried when I got that calling. For days.
I'm sure you'll grow to love it but I must admit, I'm not at all envious. :)
Wow, congrats. That's a quick change. I think the enrichment counselor would be hard. Glad I've never had to do that. I hope you have a great enrichment leader. I'm sad for you to not be in primary. I was really struggling in RS before they released me. Maybe now you'll get to hear some of those great comments about the lessons!
You may not be as entertained as you are in Primary, but you will surely come to love this new adventure! That's a big one--give me education counselor any day over enrichment. I loved your hubbies perspective, though. It's all about stretching ourselves and serving where we are asked.
You will be great!
You'll be great. Like I shared with you before, when I had that calling, it was more of realization of the wonderful organization that RS is. The enrichment stuff is a bit of a headache, but it's fun to meet the sisters and develop a real love and concern for them.
Hope Henry feels better and you get some sleep.
Oh Lucy, you have an ability to see and speak out. You have an ability to sense what others may be feeling. You have a gift of literacy and using that literacy to enrich your life. You have a love for learning that will be inspiring. You have a thirst for friendship that will include so many. In short, you'll be great. It's easy to see why the new president felt inspired to call you.
Lucy,
You'll do great I'm sure. It reminds me of when I was called as the RS President in Minnesota. I will never forget the Bishop telling me that I was receiving this calling because the Lord had something for me to learn. That came full circle when I was released and asked to speak about my service. They specifically asked me to speak about what I had learned.
Bekki
Good luck with your new calling. It does sound a little overwhelming but you have a great attitude:)
The two most important things I learned from that calling: 1) Call a very competant and organized enrichment leader. 2) Delegate, delegate, delegate.
Good luck to you, you'll do great!
you will do a great job:)
I hope you little Henry feels better soon.
I think Jay might be right, but not in the way you may be thinking. Perhaps you will learn one simple thing, how good you can be in a calling like this. I'm excited for you and I think you'll do a great job! I wouldn't worry too much about not being entertained each week, remember it's still D-town.
I think you will rock it. I am not surprised at all. Wish I could be with you to witness it. At least you aren't the enrichment leader. You get to delegate, delegate, delegate. Now that I'm over primary I feel more a part of the RS and I enjoy it more than I ever have.
So since you mentioned the Amazing Race what do you think of this season? It's gone by fast and I'm really not loving anyone. I used to hate Nick and Star but now I feel like they are smart racers. I've always like Dallas and Toni too.
Congratulations on the new calling...
I think it would be great to start off SERVING the sisters, not just sitting with them feeling a bit out of place (I've been out of RS for more than 6 years... so I am going on my own thoughts of perhaps feeling out of place). You'll be great!
I love the kids Halloween pictures, so fun! Your hubby's was hilarious! Samson thinks he knows your husband, but can't think of from where???
No, I know Jay and Samson know each other too but I'm drawing a blank. Didn't Samson live in our ward when I was dating Jay? Or maybe they served in the same mission. I'm trying to remember.
I think you'll be fabulous. Enrichment isn't all about craftiness anymore you know.
I have only been in Relief Society. You will love it!
Natalie, I asked Jay and they were in the same freshman ward. He says they used to play basketball together.
It's been a few days since I've read blogs (who knew that could happen) so it was fun to get updated on you. I think you will do great in your new calling.
I loved your Darcy/Wickham post. When I read your blog, I miss you in person! Good luck, Mrs. Enrichment.
That is great Lucy!
Welcome to the Church Lady Club!! I have to admit I was extremely skeptical when I was called to be in the RS Presidency. But it has been a year now and I have enjoyed it more than any other calling I have had. I love the women I serve with and the women I serve. You will be fantastic!!
Your Halloween post had me laughing...love your perspective on life...but nothing had me laughing more than Jay as the NASCAR dad. He rocks!!
Fun for you! You will do a bang up job! RS is pretty cool. I was in YW and Primary until last year and I really enjoy it now. Good luck! Your ward choir sounded beautiful!! I think they should combine both wards for Christmas because I love musical programs and our ward is very challenged in that area...
After 10 years in the Primary, I am absolutely terrified of Relief Society. I have a hard time communicating on more than a 10 year old level. Whoops. Now that I just wrote that, I will probably get called.
I think any Relief Society would be enriched with a Lucy twist. You will do so well. Loved your line about "the Lord shows off that omnipotent knowledge of His and everything works out better than you could have planned"..too true.
LOL, Jay is very tactful. "Mommy is being given an opportunity to learn something new."
Enrichment Counselor won't be so bad now, with only quarterly meetings, and if your ward is like ours, no Super Saturdays. Still, I'm sure it's daunting. But you'll do a great job, because that's just you!
What a difference that will be from primary, but you will do great. I secretly think this is preparing you for the big league (President). I am still learning the ropes in cubscouts. It's much more time consuming that I thought!
You will do a great job. I love Relief Society and miss having the connection with the other ladies around me.
I think you will be fabulous at your new calling, but I can totally understand you reservations. Primary is a great place to be.
I always believe there is a reason for everything and I'm sure you will find the reason why you were called along the way.
I say again...you will be fabulous!!
You will be wonderful! I spent 6 long years in Enrichment (counselor and then leader) -- was so burned out by the end, but I loved it. One of the things I loved about your calling is that you really get to know the sisters on a deeper level than you do otherwise. It made me love people more, and I could really see a change in myself in how much I had opened up and grown. It was a great experience.
I would totally vote for you for RS 2nd counsellor. What? That's not how it works? Oh, right. Thank goodness your election is over it has warped me.
You'll be great at enrichment! I'm excited for you. I loved being the leader.I thought it was fun.
Post a Comment