Thursday, November 20, 2008

Soup For Our Souls

My husband, Jay, is a private man. The tightrope I am forced to walk along in order to satisfy my need to share and respect the comforting walls he prefers sometimes seems a ridiculous way for me to get from point A to point B.

It is no secret that two years ago, Jay was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I frequently mention the gluten-free-ness of our lives and gratefully admit that we are comfortably adapted to the many alternatives offered in place of wheat, barley, rye and oats.

Merely forgoing gluten wasn't enough of a gastric challenge for Jay's body, however. If the lower GI tract is what suffer as a result of Celiac disease, then his upper GI must have felt left out because it stopped working. Known in the medical world as Achalasia, the smooth muscles in Jay's esophagus that automatically contract (peristalsis) to push food down into his stomach after chewing no longer function. In order for his food to go down, he needs the help of gravity, liquid and a quite a bit of luck. Unfortunately, because his lower esophageal sphincter uncontrollably spasms anyway (I know...the title of my blog suddenly makes sense!) his food often...way, way, way too often....gets stuck.

The stuck food hurts and if it won't go down then it must come back up. I honestly can't remember the last time I've witnessed a meal when Jay hasn't gagged up his food at least once. Usually twice. Very often three or more times. He has to be extremely conscious of what he eats, taking small bites, chewing and chewing and chewing some more and then following it all with a carbonated beverage (water and milk don't seem to do the trick).

The effects of Achalasia go way beyond his trouble swallowing, however. He can't eat as quickly as the rest of us and by quick I mean in under an hour. To eat a normal plateful of food, it takes him about five times as long to eat as me and the boys. He can't talk while he's eating or he gags. Add the two together and we've realized it's best if Jay just eats by himself while I clean up and put the boys to bed. It's not even close to ideal and on nights when a little devil sits too long on my shoulder, I fall into the temptation of wallowing in the unfairness of it all.

Eating in front of other people is also a very difficult and uncomfortable experience for Jay. His desire to not draw any attention to his "condition" isn't very likely when he's forced to leave the table two or three times during a meal to gag. I've watched him sit there and try to act normal when I know he has a lump of food painfully wedged in his esophagus. It's heartbreaking. So mealtime has become quite isolating.

We live during a time when eating is a major social event. Having anyone over or going to a restaurant seems like a rosy picture of the past. The motivation to do either isn't there anymore. It's not like he can talk and eat anyways. If we do have people over, or, somehow, miraculous make it to a restaurant, Jay manages the event by hardly eating. When the waiter asks if we need boxes, I know most of Jay's meal will be coming home where he can spend the next hour or so peacefully trying to get it all down.

He often comes home with his lunch cooler untouched because he can't dictate and eat on the side like he used to do and if a radiologist takes a lunch break, the images needing to be read pile up and he only has to stay at work later. His body and mind are starving and exhausted from a lack of fuel but even in his hungry state, he doesn't look forward to eating. It's so much work for him.

Crazily enough, Jay rarely complains. I'm not sure I could do anything BUT complain if I were the one cursed with this disease (although I'd take his 30 pound weight loss as a result of all this. In fact, why didn't this happen to me???). His patience is mind boggling.

Thankfully, there is hope ahead. Jay will be undergoing surgery on January 15th at University Hospital in Salt Lake City. The surgery is called a Heller Myotomy and there is a surgeon there that Jay feels confident will do the best job. He'll miss about a week of work and then be restricted to a liquid diet for about a month afterward. We have a lot of hope that taking this radical step will get us back to the business of only worrying about gluten. Those days seem so long ago and fancy free.

In the meantime, I have decided to cook soup. Only soup. For about the next three months. It's the easiest thing for him to eat and the most nutritionally packed "soft" food I can think of. This week, I've made chili and cheeseburger soup and have ham and potato soup planned for tonight. But I need help. I need recipes of tried and true belly filling soups. I need these to be family friendly and I need enough of a variety so that I don't go crazy. Please, please help.

Leave a link in your comment or if you have the patience and typing skills, type it out. If they are gluten-free...all the better but I've become pretty savvy at adapting recipes that aren't.

I hope this post won't embarrass him. Actually, I already know it will. To counteract my over-exposure, if you do happen to leave a comment, make sure and mention how cool Jay is because he likes that. And because he is:)

Help me feed this man!

Seriously...do I actually click on "pubish post"? I'm so nervous. I'm doing it!

32 comments:

Sarah said...

If I ever cooked, you know I would help. But I do think Jay is pretty dang cool- so I'll at least leave you with that:)

Lucy said...

What about your fancy tomato basil you took to work? Still, Jay will appreciate not only the "cool" comment but especially the "dang" part of it because that wasn't even prompted by me:)

Amie said...

I am glad you posted the details... it is so hard to watch someone you love suffer. After years of me being frustrated with Jimmy in social situations he finally admitted that he is unsocial (which looks uninterested) at dinner, etc because he can't hear. I wish he had told me earlier on because I hope I would have been more understanding and compassionate... now my heart hurts a little when I can see that he is "tuned out" because he gets tired of trying to hear it all. Sorry to make it about me... the point is I get it to a lesser degree... it would be very hard to know Jay is uncomfortable in all of those situations we take for granted. I hope that the surgery will give him some relief and that your family dinner time will feel like quality time again.

I do have a lot of soup recipes on my recipe blog but I didn't go through them to see about the gluten free... it is linked on my side bar.

(I should go on an all liquid diet! - again all about me - sorry.)

Melissa said...

Lucy--I actually make soup a lot and have a few good recipes. I would be happy to type them up for you, and send them via E-mail, so if you send me your E-mail address, I will try to do it tonight. melissamcconkie at gmail

C.J. said...

Jay's one of the 3 coolest big brothers I know. I don't have any soup recipes (although I really like my mom's minestrone, but I doubt there's any way to make it gluten free). I was wondering, though, if they make some sort of "liquid meal" like Ensure for those with Celiac. While it wouldn't be ideal, at least it would give him a little bit of nourishment at work. If it doesn't yet exist, I think I just found your cash-cow!

Kelly said...

Oh baby! Do I feel all of your pains. The YEARS I perfected my chicken broth recipe roasting the bones and varying the herbs, because I needed a little variety in our chicken broth life...

Soups coming at ya as soon as I finish Pack Meeting tonight. Also, what about smoothies? We finally resorted to two blenders so (in theory) one will always be clean and all meals can be sipped. And in desperate times, Mike will stir GU or Power Gel (or whatever brand of carbo gel you prefer) into water, just for the extra umph.

Jay is cool. Good luck with the surgery, medical science is awesome!

BAK said...

Taco soup (don't know if it's gluten free, but maybe the ingredients can be??)

1 lb hamburger, browned & drained
1 onion, chopped
Garlic, however much you like
Dump the following cans:
large crushed tomatoes
diced tomatoes
corn
2 kinds of beans (black, blue, kidney, whatever)
pkg of taco seasoning
1/4 cup of ranch dressing

dump entire contents of cans in soup. Heat through, or let simmer a few hours.

Serve with corn chips, cheese, sour cream.

Hope it helps! Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and a can of Rotel. forgot!

Anonymous said...

That has to be frustrating to be tortured with something you have to do in order to survive. Jay is one cool man if he can endure that without complaint!

I have a couple of soup recipes up on Amy's breakfast lunch and dinner blog. And I'm sure there's others besides mine there, too.
http://amyscott.squarespace.com

I also have a Cream of Wild Rice soup recipe that is excellent, but it's currently trapped on a computer that won't turn on. I'll see if I can get it from my mom, and I'll email it to you.

Amber said...

Man! Jay is AWESOME! You are also a great wife. I have a baked potato soup on my dinner blog that is fabulous. I love a good chili or chicken noodle (homemade). I'll keep my eye's open. OH! Butternut squash bisque. It's great. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Butternut-Squash-Bisque/Detail.aspx

I'm pretty sure you could do it with any squash (acorn or pumpkin) and it'd be good.

I also buy a roasted red pepper/tomato soup from Costco- but this recipe looks good.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted-Red-Pepper-and-Tomato-Soup/Detail.aspx

Good luck! Let me know what help you'll need while you're here for the surgery.

Staci said...

I don't know if you've ever been to this website, but I figured it might be helpful. They have 23 soup recipes. Hope some will satisfy the tastes buds of your coolly awesome husband.

http://karinasrecipes.blogspot.com/2007/09/gfcf-goodness.html

Anonymous said...

Jay looks pretty smokin' hot in that picture- if nothing else, he has that going for him.

I will scour my books tonight and e-mail you. We love soups around here and I find that I made about 3 a week in the winter because it is just easier. I don't know about gluten substitutes, so I will leave that in your capable hands and hope you can adapt where needed. Here are two that I have typed up already:

http://gummierecipes.blogspot.com/2006/04/santa-fe-chicken-soup.html

http://gummierecipes.blogspot.com/2006/03/cream-broccoli-soup.html

I can see being nervous about posting this, but also that it is quite the labor of love. You want to feed your man, you will do whatever it takes! If you lived in a small village you wouldn't think twice about it because everyone pitches in to care for each other.

I hope the surgery helps him and makes dinner time a family affair again!

Erin said...

This is my all time favorite. It is absolutely delish and figure friendly: http://mankeyblog.blogspot.com/2008/03/its-whats-for-dinner.html

And of course, I'm only doing this because Jay is so cool!

Shelah said...

this one is one of my favorites. I'm guessing you could use rice flour instead of wheat flour as a thickener: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=223497

I LOVE butternut squash soup and here are links to two good recipes:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=554722

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1010486

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I'm thinking....I'm thinking...

in the meantime, kudos to Jay for living with/finding solutions, that is amazing.

Do kids need to love the soup?

andrea said...

http://annamariahorner.blogspot.com/2008/11/i-want-soup-and-im-willing-to-pay-for.html

This blogger recently did a request for soup recipes and got 451 comments. I love soup in the winter and I'm dying for some new recipes and I've been perusing the comments.

That is a great picture of Jay, by the way. The saddest thing about this post is thinking of Jay skipping lunch and being hungry. I'm so glad he has the surgery coming up soon.

Tara said...

Jay, you really are cool.

I'm so glad to hear that the surgery is on the schedule and hope all goes well.

I have lots of soup recipes but you've got so many to look through for now that you're probably going to be so overwhelmed and not know where to start. Let me know if you can think of a certain type of soup you'd like a recipe for and I'd be happy to send it your way!

My White Chicken Chili is one of my favs...

Will the kids eat soup? I love it but the picky eaters at my house (everyone but me) don't care for it. You're lucky if they'll eat it!

Lucy said...

I'm not going to get overwhelmed! I want lots and lots and lots of recipes so I don't feel like I'm in a soup prison. Send them.

Denise said...

I never make soup (except taco soup, which has already been posted, although mine is a little different). So really I'm just posting to say, Jay is cool (because he's married to you, my only point of reference since I've never met him) and you're a good wife. Hang in there! I hope the surgery works wonders.

amy gretchen said...

This would definitely be a hard hard thing to live with. It's nice to know surgery will help, but yes we must help him. While reading this I was thinking he needs to go on some kind of all liquid slim fast diet. Of course soup would be good too...why didn't I think of that. DUH, the title.

I'll have to get back with you on some recipes. I don't want you to feel like you're in prison.

Lisa said...

You will have to give Jay our love and tell him he really is one cool dude! I hate cooking, so I really am no help with my own recipes, but there is a website that is all about crock pot cooking that sometimes has good looking soups. In fact there is a soup on for today. Here is the link: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Libby said...

Wow-good luck Jay! Hey, my friend has a blog called pickypalate (there's a link to it on my blog) that has a ton of yummy recipes, and I know she has a lot of soup recipes. I'm sure you'd have to change them up a bit, but it's worth checking out. By the way-You're cool Jay!

Amy said...

Wow. Jay IS cool to manage all that with few to no complaints. Food is a good thing in my life, and I think I'd do a whole lot of fussing if my body rejected it often. I'll e-mail you some soup recipes.

Oh, and I think Jay has a pretty cool wife, too.

Lisa said...

wow Loose..this is a tough one. I don't cook quite yet, but I will put my thinking cap on.

Carolee said...

I am really sorry to hear about all of this. I really admire a person who can go through challenges and do it without complaint. Your husband reminds me of my husband in this area (and you sound like me, I would totally complain to let everyone know how I felt!!)

Here is a recipe I have for the crock pot. Hope this works for you...

Sausage and Potato Soup
1 lb. ground sausage, cooked
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 cups water
2 cans cream of celery soup
1 cup cheddar cheese

Brown sausage, add celery and onion and saute. Combine all ingredients (except cheese) in the crock pot. Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until potatoes are tender. Add cheese 10-20 minutes before serving.

Kristin said...

Lucy- I'm so glad you posted about all this. I think it helps to get things out in the open. But...I too...have a very private husband who hates when I bring up his diabetes and any struggles he might be having. Sometimes it can be rough to have a husband with chronic health issues huh? Especially when it involves diet and lifestyle.

My heart goes out to Jay. How does he run races on so little fuel? He truly is amazing...and extremely cool...I believe his Halloween costume cemented that!! :)

I will be emailing you some soup recipes this weekend. Hopefully you can adapt them to be gluten-free.

Good luck with the surgery Jay!! You are in our prayers and soup recipes are coming your way.

carlo said...

wow lucy and jay. i had no idea the extent of it. i have to say this post brought tears to my eyes b/c we do live in such a social dining culture. i will think about soup recipes...

Unknown said...

Curried Zucchini Soup

1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp salt
1 med. onion, rough chopped
2 tsp curry powder
2 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
3 small to medium zucchini, rough chopped
1 medium russet potato, peeled and diced
4 c water

Cook onion in oil with salt until translucent. Add curry powder and garlic; stir. Add zucchini, potato and water. Simmer 15 minutes or until zucchini is cooked. Puree in batches in the blender.

Though I don't know your husband, I know his wife and his sister and thereby deduct that he MUST be cool!

Unknown said...

Another one:
Pure Pumpkin Soup

1 "sugar" or "pie" pumpkin

1/4 c butter
1 c diced onion (I used 1 1/2 medium onions)

2 cans chicken broth

1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
salt and pepper

The night before, heat your oven to 350. Set your pumpkin on a cookie sheet. Pierce with a meat fork or a knife 3 or 4 times (pierce the top of the pumpkin). Roast for 1 hour. Turn the oven off and leave the pumpkin there while you sleep.

The next morning, cook the onion in butter until lightly caramelized. Meantime, seed and peel the pumpkin. Make sure to remove all the stringy stuff! Then cut it in chunks about 1.5 inches square (rough estimate). Add to onions along with 1 can of broth. Simmer 20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.

Puree in batches, adding a little broth from your other can to each batch. After pureeing each batch, transfer to crock pot to keep warm. Add spices, salt and pepper and stir well to achieve even consistency.

Extras that will make this yummy

* crumbled bacon
* 1/2 c heavy cream stirred in
* pureed chipotle peppers (just a leetle!) stirred in a swirl on each serving
* sizzled sage
* a nice hard cheese

Unknown said...

Lentil Pottage with Spinach
1 large onion, diced
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
1 c lean ham or turkey ham, diced
2-3 large cloves garlic, minced (I buy garlic with cloves as big as the first joint of my thumb. That's BIG!)
3-4 cups broth or water
1 c brown lentils, washed and picked over
1/2 tsp dried leaves of thyme
1 c frozen spinach
Salt and black pepper to taste
Your favorite mustard to garnish

Saute onions, celery and carrots until they begin to soften. Add ham and cook all together until beginning to caramelize. Add garlic and stir 1 minute. Add broth and/or water and bring to boil. Add lentils. Simmer 20-40 minutes (it's really quite forgiving). Stir in spinach and heat through. Season to taste. Consistency should be that of a thick stew. You could add a can of diced tomatoes or some cooked rice if you like.

Swirl a little mustard on top of each serving. Bread and butter on the side is good.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

My soup contribution to help feed a good man . . .


Tortellini Soup

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 carrot, grated
1 rib celery, diced

Sauté carrots and celery in oil. Add:

1 (10-13 oz) jar tomato/basil marinara sauce
1 (13 oz) can chicken broth

Bring to low boil and allow it to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add:

2 cups tortellini

Cook until tortellini is tender.

Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese before serving.

Somehow, even though I am neither an Italian-food lover nor a marinara sauce lover, I love this soup . . . it is mild with just the right amount of flavor. You don’t even need to salt it.
It’s so easy and easy to adapt, too. I usually add cabbage, zucchini (even little chunks of winter squash is really good in it), broccoli, cauliflower . . . whatever. I served it the other day and one lady liked it better without the tortellini, so it would work for Jay or the family for Jay or the family.

Barb said...

Red lentil soup! Our family fave!

I posted it here:
http://stopmonkeyingaround.blogspot.com/2008/03/red-lentil-soup.html

That is a great photo of Jay, btw.