Thursday, January 03, 2013

The Polar Express

A few years ago, our family met Jen and her family at Disneyland for four days of splendiferous fun.  It was the first time I had been back since I was five years-old and the first time for Seth, Sam and Henry. It was the perfect trip, except for one thing: my kids knew the Disney story to only about 25% of the rides.

Maybe it was higher than that but probably not.  My sister was appalled at their lack of knowledge about most rides, characters and attractions.  They knew all about Toy Story Mania but were either fuzzy on the details about Tarzan, Bambi, Peter Pan, Fox and the Hound, Alice In Wonderland, the Haunted Mansion or were completely clueless.  And none could tell one princess from another.

It didn't really matter.  They loved the rides and the music and had a happy time at the happiest place on earth but I became aware of how different their childhood is from my own.  I loved watching Disney movies growing up, but I am not one of those adults who continues to love watching Disney movies.  Really, the reason is that they watch sports.  That's what they know.

It felt like our week at Disneyland all over again when I decided to have our family participate in some Christmas magic.  Again, they are sorely deprived of most Christmas magic fiction. Henry is a total believer but I believe most of his knowledge about Santa and elves comes from school traditions.  Seth and Sam constantly wink at me when discussing stockings and nice and naughty lists.  Regardless of our magic less home, I got tickets to ride The Polar Express a few days before Christmas.  We finally got snow and it was cold and we have a train in the middle of our downtown.  No excuse, really, for not doing it sooner.

Of course, none of my kids knew the story.  Henry had gone to a birthday party a week earlier whose mom had the movie playing in the background in case some kids didn't want to participate in the games so he had a rough idea of a train and hot chocolate being served.   This time, it was Maureen who was appalled.  She basically is Peter Pan and loves Disney and magic and fun.  The Polar Express is in my library of Christmas books so we read it before our big ride but, basically, the whole night was an introduction to the story.

It was fun.  I think I may have had the most fun of all thanks to Jay having Daniel the entire night.   Henry was thrilled to wear his pajamas.  I had to force Seth and Sam to change out of shorts and wear something pajama-ish.  We waited for the train to arrive in the freezing cold and when the coal powered train arrived in its plume of smoke, I think I squealed.

The ride itself was a little bit boring. Not to me but I know Henry struggled.  The train didn't depart until 8:30 pm so he was already tired and the mug of hot chocolate kept him happy for about five minutes.  The chocolate chip cookie may have given him another 5 more but he wasn't paying attention to the story being played over the speakers in the car.  When we arrived at the North Pole, we waved at Santa and Mrs. Claus from our train car and then sang Christmas carols on the way home.  I sat with Seth so my job was easy.  He speaks Sarcastic as his primary language so the magic wasn't really there but he kept assuring me it was in his best mocking twelve year-old voice.  Jay had Sam and Daniel and from my vantage point, was struggling a little but mostly doing well.  Maureen had Henry and he totally perked up with the singing.  He loves to sing!  But, the magic came alive when Santa walked in the car. Henry was mesmerized.  How much fun is it to have a child who believes in Santa with his whole heart?  OK, if I really think about it, I feel troubled but really, I just enjoy his awe.

When Santa asked Seth what he wanted for Christmas, he looked right at me and said he wanted the KD5 basketball shoes because he "really believed" and I just smiled back.  I'm not sure what the other boys said as I was too far away but I tried to capture their faces with my camera phone.  Night picture taking is so hard for me!

I'm not sure if the entire evening would have been better had their childhoods been immersed with The Polar Express but I think them discovering the story on the train was pretty fun.  I know I loved it.  And, just like those Disneyland stories they never knew they didn't know....now they know about ringing bells too.

 The coal to power the train.  It was really cold this night.  I think only 3 degrees.


And it only took an hour, there and back!  Magic!

 So excited he can hardly stand it!


Getting warmth from knitted goods and facial hair ;-)


My DSLR started acting up and would not focus.  Not even with the flash.  I put it away and started using my camera phone.  Boo.

 Always ready for some Christmas fun!

Here it comes!
 It was this boy's critical year.  He had stopped believing!


Our yummy (but lukewarm) hot chocolate.

 Seriously...he's texting.  Luckily, I didn't even have to be the bad guy and say, "Put your phone away."  The chefs came by and said there was no reception at the North Pole.  I'm pretty sure he was letting his friends know about how lame his parents were for making him go on the Polar Express.  I reminded him that this was his critical year!

The frost on the window pane.  I had to get my debit card out to scrape it off.


 Santa on his sleigh at the North Pole.


But, now he's on our very own train car!

 Daniel is curious....
But, ultimately totally freaked out by this scary looking guy.  You can't really see his face but he is screaming.  Still, Henry looks awfully cute here.

Sam
 I think they elves were a little tired that night.  One muttered as Santa walked back and stopped for a picture, "Santa is definitely not camera shy."  I chuckled because I don't think she/he/it meant for anyone to hear.



Our chefs delivering our commemorative mugs and songbooks.

 Daniel doesn't mind checking him out now that he is gone.


Seth says, "I hear it ringing!  I believe!"

 A couple of reindeer on break, I guess.




Our family.  We believe!  (Especially Henry).

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love events like this, i really loved Seths enthusiasm pictures...reminded me of when my mom took us all to the nutcracker ballet one year, my brothers were Seths age, they acted like they had just had a root canal!

Kelly said...

Seth is quite the crack up! Glad henry got to have fun.

Tara said...

This looks like a perfect Christmas activity. Right up my alley. I guess I must be Peter Pan-ish like Maureen because we own the book, the movie AND the soundtrack. I wanna ride the Polar Express!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I hear you. This last time we went to Disneyland I thought, "My goodness I'm out of the Disney movie loop." And, I wondered how anybody remembers the story line to Splash Mountain since that movie hasn't been aired in 35 years.

I still don't know the Polar Express story. I can see I've got some reading up / movie-ing up to do before Afton and Levin are too much older.

I'm so glad Henry believes. That is a pretty darn picture of the excitement on his face.

Emily said...

Polar Express was our Christmas Eve movie :) Looks like it was a fun time!

Kelly said...

Jack was 9 when he saw a picture of Mickey Mouse and said "Who's that?" Q knows the Princesses but other than that no Disney knowledge here. They don't know the Rudolph and the weird dentist, or Frosty, or any other classic Christmas and they really don't know Polar Express. I always wonder what we were doing when everyone else was learning these things. I think my kids have had a pretty full life, how did we miss these milestones?

Oh boy have I seen Seth's face before. I think that may be one of my favorite ages ever in boys, the disgruntled pre teen, love them!

Jen Childers said...

Looks like a fun and magical night! We are all believers over here :)