Without pictures, you're going to have to imagine the change of scenery. The galilee is green, at least in January, and as we drove south to Jericho, the landscape turned rather quickly from green to brown and fertile valley to barren desert. Acres and acres of land devoted to agriculture was now all but abandoned except for a few irrigated vineyards and shepherds leading their flocks around.
My enthusiasm was high at our first stop. We didn't have anything but a view, looking up at the mountain that is the traditional spot where Christ fasted for 40 days and nights and was later tempted, but we stayed there for over an hour while the group shopped and took turns having $1 camel rides around the parking lot. It seemed like a lot of time to be spending waiting for some to get a scarf tied around their head in the Arab style and others to pick out their 5 for $10 magnets but I wasn't very upset. I figured those in charge would get us going when necessary.
A couple of more stops around Jericho, including the site where most believe Christ was baptized (favorite stop so far. High point! It felt special) and then on to the Dead Sea where the scrolls were discovered. Everything was kind of seen from a distance but I love the story of the scrolls discovery and enjoyed the tour. Then came lunch. A long lunch. And hour and a half to eat and shop. I know what I want to buy (a nativity) and an saving my spending money for that when we get to Jerusalem but noticed that the gift shop did offer some Dead Sea mineral lotions and mud solutions but I was told that the prices would be better at the factory shop at Masada so didn't buy anything. We did better at leaving on time after lunch but it was still later than planned.
And, still, I stayed with the group. Because i am a rule follower. We have an odd group. Everyone is nice enough but both guides have said in all their years, they have never seen a slower group. Some are older and their slower gait is understandable. The thing is, they are never the ones we are constantly waiting for. Somebody wanders off or turns left when we go right, making the guides go searching, or falls behind to take photos or...whatever. It seems to take forever to have everyone gather round to hear the history or story from the guide.
When the loudspeakers announced Masada would close in 15 minutes and we hadn't seen a tenth of the sight and more time was spent wondering where so and so went than going to the humongous ramp the Romans built along the side of the mountain to force this act of bravery...desperation...revolt of almost 1,000 dead by their own hands, I just wanted to scream. I didn't, of course. Rule followers don't make scenes, after all.
My disappointment grew when there was no time to stop at the factory store either. All of those wasted minutes throughout the day added up in my head and I had to put my headphones in my ears on the bus ride to the hotel to calm down. Every time someone had slowed the group down because they wanted a picture somewhere we weren't going or forgot what time we were meeting or couldn't get out or a gift shop within the allotted time, I have thought, "You are not here by yourself! You are here with a group and don't have the luxury of doing what only what you want to do!"
I couldn't decide if my much too short visit at Masada was the fault or others or if I was forgetting my own group tour lecture. I'm lucky that my mood didn't stay dark for long and didn't have to introspect too deeply ;-)
We arrived at our hotel at 5 but the shuttles to the Dead Sea had stopped running an hour earlier and we have to leave tomorrow morning by 9 so there was one short hour before dinner where we could walk to the sea and swim, should we choose. Choir rehearsal was scheduled immediately following dinner and neither Maureen nor I were going to be AT the Dead Sea and not swim IN the Dead Sea. So we quickly changed and left for the sea.
The tour guide is leading a group down tomorrow morning, early (7 am) and most raised their hand when asked who wanted to go. I'm glad we already went. Who knows how long they will take in the morning?
So, like I said. Some high highs and some not too terrible lows (actually, the Dead Sea is the lowest elevation on earth so, it this were strictly metaphorical, it would be very low). In my perfect world, everyone would be considerate of others and always follow the instructions. Itineraries would be followed and excessive shopping, picture taking, hyper attention-seeking laughter, and harmonica playing on buses would all be banned. That isn't our world, however. In fact, two-thirds decided against that very kind of rule adhering world. And, in spite of it all, I'm glad.




5 comments:
You are rocking that polygamist hair, Lu! And I'm glad you guys didn't drown. Bummer about Masada.
Are people really playing the harmonica on the bus? I agree that it's a bummer about Masada, but sounds like a super fascinating day. That's the problem with big group tours...all the waiting for people that think they can do whatever they want. Remember our "group" tour in Thailand....me, you and Sarah. Now that was a fun tour! :)
Reminds me of traveling with my sisters. I'm the one that always stops to take pictures, yet always in the front while they lalligag behind and it makes me crazy. I do so much better on MY time.
Very cool about swimming in the Dead Sea. A once in a lifetime experience.
Definitely sounds frustrating that time is not your own but it all the sights must be so fascinating! You're seeing such amazing things.
Harmonicas on the bus? I love reading about the tour part of your adventure! Can't wait to see pics of the sites!
Post a Comment