It's official. Daniel, you are one and walking and eating and trying to talk and tantruming and the baby that was once you is pretty much gone. You're still in diapers (the thought of maybe only having one more year of diapers is exciting and probably extremely unlikely if you're anything like your brothers) and still get a bottle or two a day but you can drink from a sippy cup, though it's not your favorite design. Really, you prefer when you can get a hold of a water bottle or, even better, a real cup that can dump water on your entire chest!
The other night, while I was feeding you a bottle and rocking you before bed, the poem about cobwebs and babies not keeping popped into my head. You were exceptionally drowsy this evening and your eyelids had already started their pre-sleep flutter and you had stopped sticking your index finger in between my lips and strumming the bottom one like a string on a guitar. Every so often, I feel overwhelming nostalgia for the present moment of your littleness. I consider it a tender mercy as I guiltily admit feeling a bit of glee and relief with every tool of independence you discover. I want so much to enjoy every day of you and hope I've done my best. I suppose what I'm trying to say is it feels weird to simultaneously want to stop time while feeling excited about your constant parade of new tricks.
It almost feels dishonest writing this one-year letter to you two weeks late. Two weeks ago, you were walking but with that Frankenstein stance. Now, you not only walk everywhere you need to go but you've figured out how to crawl your way onto the living room furniture, open doors using the door handle, use sign language to let me know when you want milk and climb into the dishwasher if the door is open. Two weeks ago, you had a mouthful of front teeth but now, you have a molar! By tomorrow, you may have two! You can seriously eat steak. From milk to meat....just like that!
You are busy. You are charming. You are one!
As far as the actual birthday went, you had no idea the day was special until after we got home from piano lessons. We picked up a balloon from City Market and it quickly deflated. An hour after these pictures were taken, it was flat on the floor. Cheap! Next time, we're going to Albertsons! Still, you loved it and I think having something shiny and floating in your direct line of sight was extra fun for you.
Later, when we were getting ready for presents and cake, we found you causing a bit of trouble with your brother's basketball. You really, really like bouncing that ball. And, I know you've seen them shoot it into a round hole and everyone getting really excited about it. Not this hole, buddy. Sorry.
Sam got you a popcorn popper with his own money and you love it, although you preferred to get it to make the popping sound by sitting down and rolling it back and forth on the floor. Since your birthday, your six year-old older brother has shown you how fast that pop can really go. Really, really fast. So fast a certain six year-old has been banned from pushing the popper.
Aunt Patty and Delanie came over and gave you some sweet new books to read. Two weeks ago, you could have cared less. But, how quickly things change. Now, sitting on a lap and pointing to things can hold your attention for at least 3 minutes. Improvement!
Mom thought it would be fun to get a push wagon for my new little walker. You could have cared less until a few weeks ago. Now, your brothers put you inside the wagon and push you WAY too fast around the house. Amazing how quickly a perfectly safe looking toy can be used for dangerous activities when you've got older brothers to show you the way.
I made a gluten-free cake for the celiacs and bought a cake-boss cake for you. You really didn't care for it. You didn't touch it much with your hand and when I put a slice on the tray of your high chair, you whined until I got you a fork. Not safe but....well...that's just how we roll around here.
For the grandparents. He unwraps this present for forever but the singing of the birthday song is right after. I am really not that good at editing videos and I don't know how I meshed them together.
Henry had to help you blow out the candle.
Sam made sure you knew what to do with the cake.
We thought about assembling the wagon that night but our assembler was talking to his parents at the table so we were satisfied with the task of putting the square blocks in and out of the box.
We had your one year well-child check up and you weigh 24 lbs 2 oz (66%), were 31.3 inches tall (86%) and measured 48.2 cm around your big brain (91%. Look at the size of that noggin!) For extra fun, they kept us in that small exam room for an hour waiting for the three immunizations you needed. I had lots of fun keeping you out of their cupboards full of needles and medical devices and garbage cans full of who knows what.
No?
What's that? (Nice try, buddy)
Still no?
Welcome to the non-zero club, Daniel. I'm so looking forward to your life!
Love,
Mom














4 comments:
I bet your boys loved his toilet hoop! So cute! He is a darling one year old!
I totally know what you mean about wanting to stop time yet loving the new things they learn. He is so cute and fits right in with your boys. Love the toilet basket!
One minute I think, "Daniel is so Jay" and then I see a shot from another angle and think, "He's definitely Lucy." Have you and Jay been married long enough that you've started to morph already? I can't tell which genes are most prominent.
I can't believe he's a year. It just seems like he was born (albeit it did take a long time, remember how you expected him much earlier?).
Fun recap of Daniel's birthday. He is a sweet boy. Can't believe how much he is changing!
Post a Comment