This week's challenge was about our mothers.
what would you like us to know about your mom? who is the woman in your life who bandaged your knees, led you to kindergarten, taught you how to play the piano, or how to run a basting stitch, or how to polish silver? maybe she taught you how to plant a garden, or how to take great photographs, or how to ride a bike?
if you could be with her this weekend, what would you say? is "thank you" enough?
When first reading this explanation, I laughed because there is a joke among my sisters and I that my mom can do all of these things but she didn't teach us anything! Let me explain....
My mother was born in her family home in a very small town in Montana. She was expected at a young age to help on the farm and help her mother in the home. It was a different time then and she learned how to do it all. She cans, she sews, she embroiders and needle stitches and cooks and all of those lovely things that you think of when you think of mothers.
My mother married when she was 33 years old. In our LDS culture, that is considered later in life and I'm sure the thought crossed her mind that she might not ever get married. She wrote out her own story on her blog, which I loved, and she tells of her great faith in the blessings she was given earlier and lived her life to the fullest the entire time she was single. She has her masters in English and knows a lot about the English language. I can always call her up when I need to know if I should say lie or lay. Mom, I think I've got it now. I lay the book down. I lie down to sleep. Yes!
She became a mother nine months after being married to my father. (nudge,nudge,wink,wink). She had decided to welcome as many children as Heavenly Father blessed her with and by the time she was 40, I was born, her fifth. My youngest sister came three years later and life was busy for my mother. My dad was busy at his law practice, busy as a young bishop, and later stake presidency, and she spent a lot of time managing the six of us by herself. I mentioned earlier about my grandmother coming to live with us after having a stroke. Having three children each spaced three years apart and being 10 years younger than my mom when I started my own family, I have a hard time imagining the stress and weariness she experienced while raising us. Honestly, she doesn't remember that much about it. Most of us took a child development class at BYU where we had to write a paper about our first three years of life, and every time someone called her for their information (when we walked, talked, first words etc.), she rolled her eyes and tried again to separate each of us from the blur.
Amid all of the messes and noise and clutter and confusion, my mother provided a peaceful, secure, loving home for us. We had the cute dresses for Easter and Christmas that she made. We had family home evening and morning and evening family prayer. We had breakfast AND dinner together as a family every single day. Sit down. With plates and everything. And she wasn't serving chicken dinos!
All six of us took piano lessons that she drove us to and from. Hours of either driving to and fro or sitting in a car waiting outside. That had to be incredibly annoying for her but I don't ever remember hearing her complain. Even when we did (which we all did plenty of), she just kept driving us, paying for us and even tolerating the music I chose to play which was almost always loud, showy and dissonant.
She always provided a balanced meal. There were always veggies and fruit and milk to drink. O.K. Sometimes the milk was questionable. I think money was tight so my parents slipped us a fast one and mixed our 2% milk with powdered milk and put all the "milk" into those glass apple juice jugs. Most of us refused to drink the end of a jug when the taste become....chewy. I love how she made do with what they had and made things stretch for her young, boisterous family.
I really could go on and on about what I admire about my mother. As good as she was and is at providing for me and my siblings, she fostered an environment where each of us learned to have our own thoughts and ideas and a strong testimony. She loves being a mother but she still has her own identity. She's an avid reader. It was her bookclub that she attended for years while I was growing up that gave me the itch to be part of one. She really enjoys mah jong. And boggle and other word games. She loves music and opera and the symphony. I went to more operas in high school in Montana of all places than I have in the bigger cities I've lived in since.
Both she and my dad always set the bar high for education and spirituality. Doing well in school and going to college was expected but also a given. I don't remember it being an issue because we sensed the importance of learning and knowledge. Her strength and commitment to the gospel is a constant example to me as a mother. She took the time to understand things, and ponder new things and passed on her thoughts to me. To this day, I love sitting around with her and starting a question with, "Mom, what do you think about....?"
I wish I could have seen her this last weekend. But once again, she is teaching me by example that you serve and you grow, you serve and you grow. I just thank my lucky stars that I get to call her mine.
No, I don't know how to sew. I struggle to thread a needle and use it for a higher purpose. I certainly don't know how to make her delicious bread that I didn't appreciate in the lunches she made for me daily (I had wonder bread envy). But I know that she loves God. I know that she loves my dad. Best of all, I know that she loves me. And that is the best kind of knowledge.
Tuesday, May 15, 2007
SPT - My Mother
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


14 comments:
Wow what a wonderful post. What a great example your mother is to you and your sisters. I met your mother a few times and she was always so sweet and kind. I love reading your parent’s blog.
I had no idea that Karen got married so late in life. Such a beautiful post about your mom. She is a lady with many talents and just look at you all with all your talents. My FAVORITE part about your family is that you are all so close. Doug and I talk about that a lot and hope our kids feel the same way about one another. Love those Hatches! What a grand bunch they are.
And that song couldn't be more appropriate. :)
That is a great post. I think your mom and my mom could be great friends with their interests.
My mom and I were just talking about how they did it all and without internet or cell phones! Their life was definitely much harder, yet no chicken dinos!
I'm encouraged to do better.
Loved reading your thoughts.
I have great respect for your mom and appreciate all the wonderful qualities that you pointed out here!
I admire her without knowing her because of you. Happy Mother's Day!
Thanks for the good words! I guess my motto was "if you can think, you can do" when the need and desire arise. That worked for me and I know it does for each of you! I'm so looking forward to November!!!!
Mom is great...and you have a lot of her qualities:) Great post, Lou! I haven't talked to you for awhile..I'll call tomorrow!
This is my favorite hands down. What a beautifully written story about a wonderful woman.
Thank you for sharing.
this is a great post, and once again, i am amazed at hearing others' stories.
it seems as if you have truly *learned* a lot from your mom!
Ok, I am the world's biggest baby but I am totally boohoo-ing over this post.
I hope to meet your mom one day Lucy :)
That is very sweet and yes, to know those 3 things about your Mom are the MOST important 3 things any child could know from her!
I, too, had Wonder Bread envy, and didn't understand fully how lucky I was to get my mom's fabulous homemade bread all the time. I thought my friends were nuts for always wanting to eat bread when they came over!
There's something to be said for a mom who can handle tasks from the good ol' days, while still staying current enough to keep a blog. That rocks!
loved this post. what a great tribute. and your mom has a blog? how cool is that...
your family sounds so incredible, lucy. now that you have written about your mom, i can understand why...
oh and i do the blur thing, even with just 2, and i hate that i can't remember some of the milestones exactly. why didn't i write more stuff down? by the time the girls are in college i will remember nothing. sad...
Post a Comment