I've got three for you. I'll do them chronologically.
Monday night, we had family home evening after being reminded by Seth for several weeks that we were being slackers. It's true. We are not perfect in this department but we agreed on Sunday that we would, indeed, have
He took out his Book of Mormon reader and started leafing through, looking for the perfect lesson. When he said he found what he wanted to teach about, I asked him what it was and he responded that it was Lehi's dream of the Tree of Life. I was impressed. It wasn't killing Laban or cutting of arms or anything!
Monday night came and we gathered in the living room. Since I knew what the lesson was about, and my assignment happened to be music, I chose Follow The Prophet as our opening song. The boys have already both mastered it in primary this year so we had a hearty sing-a-long. Seth started in on his lesson and did a great job. He mostly read but when Jay started asking questions to see if he and Sam understood what Seth was talking about, they were both able to adequately answer the questions. Again, we were impressed. Seth wanted an object lesson/activity to go with his lesson so he asked Jay if we had any rope around the house. Jay went and found some and tied one end around the leg of our piano and we took turns holding the other end. The person holding the rope acted like the prophet, someone else tried to find the rope with their eyes closed and then use it as a guide to get to the piano and the other two left (Henry was happily crawling around and tripping whoever was walking around with their eyes closed) were what we called the detractors. Their job was to yell and tempt the person holding onto the rope to let go and come see what they had to offer. Jay and I both hammed it up, letting go of the rope several times acting confused about our choices but Seth and Sam both staunchly grabbed the rope and got to the piano as quickly as possible.
Everyone was smiling. Jay and I had that eye contact moment where I know we were both thinking, "yeah...we rock. We've got the spirit in our home." Then we made the fatal mistake.
Game time. We should have stopped with the rope activity. It was fun and solidified the lesson. But we decided to play a completely random game called Black Magic. The rules are kind of complicated so I'll get to the point. I knew the rules and guessed the right answer. Jay knew the rules and guessed the right answer. Seth guessed wrong. Sammy totally lucked out because he made a random guess and happened to guess right. The point of the game was to go a few rounds to see if the boys could discover the trick. But we didn't get that far. Seth was crushed. He left the room pouting that he wasn't smart and that even his younger brother could play the game better than him. Jay and I ignored him and called out that if he can't handle losing then we aren't going to play any more games. Seth countered by making a sign. It said, "For Sale. Five Dollars" and he headed for the door telling me he was going to go sit on the front lawn holding his sign.
I know it's a gimmick but it's so hard to know what to do. My instinct is to ignore him. Ignore the annoying behavior and it goes away, right? But I know Seth. And I know that all he wants is for me to cuddle with him and reassure him that it's o.k. not to be perfect because, for some reason, that boy thinks that is the only way we will love him. It's frustrating. So I ignored him first, then played the nurturing mother...getting down to his eye level and giving him a hug. When he still pouted and lunged for the door, I overreacted and told him to go sit on the lawn. Instead he ran upstairs. Not our best night. I'll let you decide who the poor soul is. Seth or his parents.
Number two. We went on a field trip for Sammy's preschool today. I went on the same one two years ago when Seth was in preschool and I should have known better. It's a place called Cat Tales which is a very small zooish place with different lions and tigers and....bears, who, the last time I checked, aren't part of the cat family. But they are big powerful animals who are designed for a natural habitat but fascinate humans so we like to look at them behind cages. Obviously, I have a bias. I have been to a few great zoos. I went to one in Omaha once that was very cool. I thought parts of the National Zoo in Washington D.C. were nice and not icky and overly concreteish. The last time I went, Denver's was making some progress. But, for the most part, I think they are sad places. The animals, while certainly protected from hunters and predators, look stifled, bored and pathetic. Their environment is usually some dirt, some hay and a bare tree. Add the smells that are inevitably a part of any zoo experience and usually, I choose to stay away.
First I got lost. So I was a half hour late to begin with. Then, when I finally pulled into the parking lot, a bus had just pulled up that was unloading passengers with handicaps. About 20 kids got out but all needed wheelchairs so I sat there behind the bus, just at the entrance of the parking lot so I couldn't get in another way or go around, for ten minutes. Then I parked, walked to the ticket counter and was behind the same 20 kids in wheelchairs getting tickets. That's all just to give you an idea of my mood to begin with.
Before we caught up with his class, we saw some tigers. That painted concrete is so like their natural environment! I didn't get it in the picture but it's of the Taj Mahal.

I don't know if eventually the let this lion out somewhere else but he was contained in nothing more than a dog run.
I pushed Henry in the jogger but he wanted nothing to do with it and started screaming. My guess is that lions and tigers don't really love screaming babies. I ended up holding Henry who couldn't decide what he wanted (I put him on the ground too and he just had another fit), pushing the stroller and trying to convince Sam to look at the animals instead of begging me for his oreo snack pack that was in the jogger's basket. After 20 minutes of trying and lots of stares my way, I clicked Henry back in his jogger and grabbed Sam's hand and left the other poor souls there. Sammy got his oreos and all was well again.
As we were driving home, I noticed this signboard.

Some character at this church always puts up the most ridiculous sentences. They are almost always political and I can't help but feel for the poor souls that follow this particular leader. I can't remember a time I drove by this signboard thinking, "well, that's uplifting and Christlike". In case you didn't notice, his latest deep thought makes no sense. Follow the thought to logical conclusion. Oppose comes from the word opposite and the opposite of evil is good, moral, righteous, sinless, upright, virtuous (and I even used a thesaurus to make certain). So, let's back up and look at this misguided thought. Give evil nothing to oppose. What would evil oppose? Itself? I don't think so. So don't give evil anything good, moral, righteous, sinless, upright or virtuous to oppose and let's see if it disappears. More likely, evil will eclipse everything so mankind will no longer be able to tell the difference. And then, according to this enlightened person, the world will be a better place. How absurd.
I know what he was probably trying to say and it's still absurd. Ah...I feel a sermon coming on. I'll stop here.


16 comments:
Lol at the sign... we live in the bible belt and the quotes and sayings have me nearly driving off the road sometimes!
Ok...Seth is a most creative child. I think I'd take his sign over a sassy mouth which is what usually comes my way...kids...is it any wonder our hair turns gray and most of us end up medicated?
You had me laughing out loud at the Cat Tales Field trip...aaahhh sweet memories...WRONG!! That little jewel of a trip was only last year but feels like last week...hysterical Ailey, vaguely interested Kameron, sweltering heat, Kameron exhibiting signs of heat stroke, Ailey wanting to be down and playing in puddles of who knows what??? I feel for you.
Onto the "brain" that is that pastor...every day I drive by there I am usually irritated...either by his political statements of his lack of intellect. These little gems could be entertaining posts in themselves. I'm glad Tyler and I aren't the only ones smirking at his/her "thoughts".
Sounds like one of those days. I didn't even know Spokane had a zoo (although you're right, that surely doesn't look like a zoo). FHE sounds fun. Too bad Seth had to end on a bummer. He'll learn.
We've had many a FHE end in complete frustration and some strong "Go to bed right now" kinda words. I just have to keep telling myself that it will all make a difference in the long run.
The "zoo" sounds like a frustrating day. I tried to be a good mom and volunteer at the school book fair today but I left carrying Natalie under my arm as she screamed her way out of there. I feel your pain!
Why is it always fun to laugh at other people's FHE woes and field trip misadventures? It's like laughing at yourself really.
Poor Seth. Making the sign shows a lot of creativity though and creativity is a characteristic that will get you far!
I find Monday night FHE's to be overly frustrating. Why do I want to keep the kids up later and spend time with everyone, extending my day job that much longer? I always ask Mike if he'd like it if I walked into his office at the end of the day and wanted to talk about finances.
We have recently instituted a spaz moment 1/2 way through FHE, where everyone can run around and flip out before they have to sit and listen again. Works better than trying to have real fun, like games.
Not being an animal lover, even I feel for the animals at zoos. I'm with Sammy, give me oreos over animals any day.
I am with you on the zoo thing, although I too do like Omaha's zoo. I think it is done very nicely. We are going to try and go there next weekend.
I am glad that you don't think that sign makes any sense. I thought maybe I was just stupid. :) I think there must be some book out there for ridiculous signs. We have a church here that does those too. I wish they would just put up something simple like "Jesus loves you". Much easier to understand.
Take care!
I also love the Omaha Zoo and enjoyed Denver's quite a bit too. I guess when you travel the country with little ones, you become pretty well versed.
I played hookey during the Cherubs field trip to Cat Tales because I couldn't convince myself that it would be worth the money/time/energy. Thank you for validating that decision.
Seth is quite a character. I never see that side of him at school. He is the most mellow/intelligent/thoughtful kid in class. Don't you love the special sides we get to see as parents?
Lions and tigers and bears? Oh my!
That has to be the most depressing zoo I've ever seen. And that church has the stupidest sign I've ever seen. Right-o, we'll just cut back on the whole righteousness thing, lest evil should have anything to oppose. What a dork.
The first time I read the sign I thought, "I don't get it." Then I read it again and still didn't get it. I thought oh, it's late. I continued reading your blog - I'm so glad that it truly didn't make sense.
Loved the post....
Bekki
Seth--I'll take that boy for five dollars anytime! I can't believe he planned that great lesson.
Cat Tales--Hate that place. You've brought back all kinds of horrible memories. You should send Mrs. Manning a link to your blog and maybe she'll take that field trip off the schedule.
Bethany Church--Aren't you glad you got a picture of their sign for your spokane scrapbook. That place is such a part of my life and everytime they change the billboard I scratch my head and say huh??
Poor souls is right. That's hard when you child wants so bad to succeed and the little one "wins" the game. We have had that happen MANY occasions in our house. You have to love the persistence of wanting to do FHE. Taylor normally will remind us and has this obsession with power point if you haven't noticed.
For the record most zoos in my book are pretty lame, until I went to the New Orleans one. They have the best one I have ever seen. Phx is just a sad state of affairs and A LOT of cement.
We have about three churches around us that put up those ridulous quotes I should take a picture sometime. I love how sometimes they make it cutesy and rhyming...so spiritual!!
Hope things are better Friday (well today!)
oh little seth. love that he planned your lesson...
the cat tales make me sad reading about it, too. oh poor animals.
getting caught up over here so expect a carlo blitz of commentary... :)
What a sweet soul Seth is. Hope he can get over berating himself though! Great job on the lesson.
The field trip sounded a little bit like a nightmare. Probably a good thing you packed it up.
That is the zoo in Spokane?
Good job Seth, Your lesson sound great!
To be fair to Cat Tales, almost all of their lions and tigers and other felines are all creatures that have been rescued from people who tried to raise them as personal pets or been discarded from other zoos. So Cat Tales is not actually a zoo, it's more like a rescue shelter for unwanted big cats that people thought they could raise as pets. Since they can no longer survive in the wild, Cat Tales does the best they can to feed and care for these abandoned animals--some who have been left in parking lots across the country. They are also activists against people trying to raise these wild cats as pets which has been increasing in popularity for some crazy reason. When I visited there I learned a lot about the wild characteristics of the big cats during the tour and also about Cat Tales activism in protecting future wild cats from becoming discarded pets.
I'm impressed withe FHE, a little saddened by the $5 sign, and laughing outloud at the church sign, before you even explained I said "huh?"
Post a Comment