Today hasn't turned out the way I'd intended. Sammy woke up sick. I think he may have the flu. He's had a fever all day with the chills and aches. He fell asleep spontaneously on the couch and has only eaten a milkshake (that was one of my favorite "sick" foods growing up). Poor kid.
I called the painters this morning because I hadn't heard from them since our initial consult. He never did come back with a written bid which isn't a great sign. When he called me back, he apologized and said he had gone out of town. Whatever. He came with the two painters (who looked like legitimate painters in their white jeans with paint all over them) and they all spoke Russian to each other. You know that feeling you get when you're getting a pedicure with your friend, and the two ladies giving you both your pedicures start talking to each other? I'm always sure they are talking about how gross my cracked heels are. I was sure these guys were talking about my somehow inferior bathroom. I just stood there waiting for a translation. (Um...Shelah...about your offer....) The business man (one who came last Friday) assured me they weren't saying anything bad. But it makes me so nervous not to know what is being said. I kept going over the things he told me he would do on Friday. Are they going to get the paint for the bathroom? And they know they need to paint the ceiling too? And retexture the wall? And paint the railing? Somehow, I am sure some of it will be lost in translation.
The bad news is that there is some leak in my bathtub causing moisture in the wall which is the source of the damage. It's obviously not a huge leak as it's taken five years for the drywall to crumble but they took off the cover to the tub and felt wetness underneath. I have to decide if I want them to fix the walls and leave the next owners to deal with this small leak or find a plumber to fix it. Jay left his cell phone at home today so I haven't been able to talk to him about it but I'm thinking we'll need to fix the leak. I don't think a home inspector would miss that. Ugh. It's always something.
They also couldn't do it today. Of course. So they are coming tomorrow which might be pointless if I can't get this leak fixed. Derzic gave me the written bid which was $100 more than he verbally told me. He changed it to $550 when I called him on it and acted like he did so many bids that he just couldn't remember what he told me. Hmmmmm.
I am also starting a yelling fast. Honestly, I don't think I yell any more than the average mom. But Seth is such a sensitive soul and he calls me out on any inconsistency. He knows when I yell that I'm breaking the rules. Yesterday, he went to mormon.org and sent a bunch of ecards. I got one. Here it is.
So, no more yelling for me. I'm going to be the Gandhi of yelling. That is just not a memory I want my kids to have of me. And I don't yell at anyone else...ever. I don't know why I've let myself think it's o.k. with them. It's a habit I'm going to break.






14 comments:
Sammy: Poor kid, definately looks blue.
Painters/bathroom: Bloody home repairs!
Burgandy toilet: Stylin!
Post Card: Ouch!
Yelling: Thanks for the gentle nudge. Good luck on it.
Oh, I hope Sammy gets over his sickness SOON and that no one else gets it!
Seth is a sweetie pie!
And all I can say is I hear ya about the yelling. Why do I do it with my kids when, like you, I do it with no one else?
I need a yelling fast too. Although I have tried it before and never been successful, but I can say I've gotten MUCH better over the years!
Loved the pictures! Good luck on getting the work done. That's a lot of work to figure out who to hire and then to make sure they aren't going to cheat you!
I'm sorry Sammy is sick...sorry about the Russians. Hopefully you can get it taken care of soon...just another big box on that big list of stuff to do, right?:) Love the card from Seth. He is so sensitive...what a cute way to reach out. Good luck with the no yelling. I love ya!
Poor Sammy, I hope he feels better tomorrow so we can resume our little trips to the YMCA.
I'm glad the Russians are giving you some good blogging stories. I am sure they will pull it together like they did last time.
I love your yelling fast. I can't wait to hear how it goes. That card from Seth is priceless. From the mouths of babes.
I am giddy with anticipation for more great Russian anecdotes! Best of luck :)
Sammy looks so lethargic in that picture. I hope he feels better soon.
Seth is so sweet. What made him think to go online? You have such an articulate little first grader!
I have been yelling at my kids too. A lot. Nothing gets their attention better. I have been justifying it. Thank Seth for me.
Sorry about Sammy! We know all too well that being sick is lousy!
Good luck with the hired hands...hopefully it ends up being more of a help than a headache!
So Sorry Sam is Sick! Jon said all of them were sick on the weekend. Wish I could help. Are you replacing the bathtub or did you get the jets fixed? I woke up tired on Monday morning and still am Tuesday night. But classes are over by 10 tomorrow! Love ya
I loved the card from Seth too.
Oh that card is so sweet it hurts. I do the same thing. Yesterday evening seemed to involve a lot of yelling. And you're right, I would NEVER yell like that to anyone else. I need to work on this as well.
I bet the repairs will turn out fine. Good luck. Is there a large Russian population in Spokane?
I hope Sammy gets better soon. Taylor is home throwing up and sick today. Yuck.
Doug said to me the other day where is the non-yelling JEnny? I want her back. Umm she hasn't been back since January 14th. Thanks for the reminder. I needed it. Jared is pretty sensitive too.
Your room looks great! Love the styling toliet. :)
So sorry you have sick kids too. It is no fun for them or you!
And on top of all that you have to deal with your "house list." Sometimes I just want to sell our house and rent an apartment - I get so overwhelmed at all the things that are constantly needing to be fixed - I just want someone else to take care of all that for me.
Hope Sammy feels better today - and that no one else gets sick - especially you.
And - what a great goal - not to yell. It is so sad, because I made myself horse the other day yelling at Halle for something really stupid. I felt so awful afterwards. Yelling - definitely not a good thing.
seriously, Lucy-- the offer still stands. Eddie can do a mean russian buttkicking!
Poor little Sam! I hope he feels better soon!
Thanks, Seth. You've inspired me too. I turn into another person when I'm tired or hungry or whatever and my kids are being kids. I have always thought of myself as a patient person and sometimes I just don't understand why my three-year-old isn't acting like a 30-year old.
How did I miss this on Monday?? Dang...I hate it when I find a post hiding that I haven't seen..
Oh the card. Sigh. Tears...that card could have been sent to me, too.
I hate yelling, yet I do it. Then I feel terrible. Sometimes I feel like that is the only way people(by people I mean the girls and Scott) really "hear" me. OR have I trained them to only listen when I am yelling?
The remodel story is just yuck! WHy is it so hard to find someone to trust?? I hate that you are dealing with it after your other experiences. Keep us posted!
Post a Comment