Tuesday, March 27, 2007

And you thought physics wasn't funny


The second law of thermodynamics states that "The entropy of an isolated system not in equilibrium will tend to increase over time, approaching a maximum value at equilibrium." Simply, high levels of energy, heat, pressure (i.e. . .order) will always move towards lower levels of it's form (disorder) in nature over time.

Amber at SoggyCheerios posted this youtube link on her blog. But in case you don't make it there, you MUST watch this video!

This is my favorite example of the second law of entropy that I know! I try really hard to have a clean van (because it's easier to control than a house) but my van has a mind of its own and tries really hard to end up this way. Since 99% of us are in this mom boat, and the other 1% are married to us, I can't think of anyone who wouldn't enjoy this. Although it might leave Jenny and Jen feeling slightly ill:)

10 comments:

andrea said...

Um, you've seen my car. I have the sweetest mom ride I know. Just today Jack spilled a vanilla frosty (twice, in two different spots). This video has pulled me all the way out of my funk. Thank you for posting it!

[alisar] said...

Cool...you speak "geek" too! Love the physics lesson.

Lara said...

Entropy was on my mind a lot today too. Wondering where that energy is going to come from to organize the equal dispersion of mess and toys all around my house and car. Thanks for the video - hilarious!!!!!

Emily said...

Entropy is not my friend. And you'll see my van soon enough.

Jen Childers said...

That clip does in fact make me feel ill. No way would my van ever look like that:)

Kelly said...

I had to watch it a couple times it just gets funnier!

I am inspired to go get my car detailed today!

carlo said...

oh i love this clip. my friend who swore her vehicle would NEVER look like this with kids, is so eating her words now that she has been hit with reality. she laughs about it now but she was hard core about keeping it clean in the beginning.

now i do have another friend who keeps her car spotless. no matter what. i just don't get that b/c i can't relate... :) thanks

jenny said...

I'll admit it did make me cringe. Sadly, I keep my car cleaner than my house (gasp!!) The duck tape was classic. Doug says that duck tape fixes everything. Thanks for the laugh.

donna said...

So funny:)

Rebecca said...

I may not be smart enough to understand the definition of entropy, but the visual helped a lot! Thanks for the laugh!