Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Friends and Facebook

I think I hate Facebook.

I waffle because it’s not altogether an evil site.  It’s been a good place to reconnect with some people.  It gave me quicker access to people than blogs and was certainly a faster way to express myself than writing on my blog but those status updates have never given me satisfaction for very long.

You see...I’m all about the details.  Even when they were too difficult to write.

Now that I’m feeling better and much, much more interested in others, I’m finding that I....hesitate...to even log onto my Facebook page.  As I examined the reasons for the hesitation I came to realize something.

I think I hate Facebook.

Today’s current count of Facebook friends for me is 276.  That seems like a lot, although I know people who have a much higher number than that.  I have no idea how often that number changes but what I do know is that I do not have 276 friends.

I rarely go seeking after more “friends” but I do usually accept friend requests, unless I don’t know the person or have already defended them once (No.  I STILL don’t want to see semi-nude pictures of you in a drunken state, thank you very much).    I suppose I’ve been defriended or blocked or whatever by others but I don’t know by whom as I may have hidden them anyway.  I have discovered that if Facebook were an actual party or reunion or whatever it’s trying to be, I would be a very rude guest/attendee.  Your daily workout routine?  I don’t care.  My eyes are glazing over.  Your forwarded/copy/pasted/generic declaration of loving God/family/country?  Tacky.  Can’t contain my eye roll.  I think these things deserve sincere individual thought.  Your never ending promotion of whatever it is you’re selling?  I’m going to walk away.  I know everyone’s got to eek out a living but it feels much like the vendors that perturb my chill on the beach in Mexico by asking me to buy their woven bracelets with my name personalized on it every ten seconds.  I’m here to relax, not buy stuff!

In my defense, it’s not that I wouldn’t be interested in any of those things should we be having a conversation or should I know the reasons or background story as to why any of those things matter to you.    If it’s a part of your life and, if we’re actually friends, I would probably be interested because I’m interested in you.  It’s the coldness of Facebook, its endless Groundhog Day-esque insipid and meaningless conversations with acquaintances - NOT friends, that’s got me heading towards retreat.  I miss connecting with people.  I miss caring about people.

That’s just on the receiving end.  I’m SURE I’m equally annoying on Facebook because if you’re active at all on there (and what’s the point if you’re not active?) your status updates are going to appear tedious to others who don’t know you well and don’t care that much.  I’ve been posting a lot about pregnancy and baby stuff lately and one of my high school friends jokingly (maybe) threatened to hide me because of it.  Not enough pictures of me holding bottles of alcohol with random people he wouldn't know to keep him entertained, I guess (Look at me being petty.  He’s a really good guy but, man, does he drink with friends a lot!  Or at least that’s what his life looks like on Facebook).  Mostly, I miss having the chance to express myself with more than one paragraph.

The other day, my best friend from high school and college sent me a package with a cute outfit for Daniel apologizing for not knowing I was pregnant until two weeks previously from one of my Facebook posts.  I felt shame.  I was her maid of honor.  She was mine.  I have 276 friends on Facebook and that number, that totally false and inflated number of friends, is partly to blame for my neglect.  Why in the world do I spend any time at all reading about someone who was in my married ward at BYU for one semester and not spend the time to call or write a girl who helped me become a grown up?  Shame!

I’m going to try harder.  I’m going to express myself more.  Be it through blogging or emailing or letter writing or even calling, which is not my go-to means of communicating, I’m going to be a better friend.  There are lots of good things about Facebook but it’s not a good place to be friends.  Acquaintances...yes.  Friends....no.  And I need friends.

8 comments:

Carolee said...

I agree 100%! Its funny because I find myself going on to it several times a day ( I know embarrasing) and each time I do I really do get annoyed with myself. My husband will not go on for weeks. I wish I could be like that.Have it for when I want to write a message or send a message but not be pulled in daily and waste my time:)

Melissa said...

Well said. I hate facebook. It has made me think less of most of the people I am acquainted with, and I rarely post my own status updates, because I think what most people say is so asinine.

I don't care what are are eating, I hate your inspirational quotes, you weren't nice to me when we were in the same ward, so why should we even be friends here anyway?

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

This is very interesting. I haven't ever joined Facebook and wondered aloud a few weeks ago if I maybe I should have been more open to it. Your post confirmed some of my wonders.

"I need friends." I like that line. We all do. Glad we are.

ShelleyG said...

I am with you. I told my seminary students yesterday that I thought I wanted to delete my FB. They asked me to post some pictures of them first! ;) there are some practical, positive things about it, but I fear it has diminished some of my friendships to acquaintances.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lucy. I sure do like you! I was in the same place a while ago then had a great purging of "friends" and it has changed my FB experience. If I get over 100 friends I get twitchy. A lot of my "friends" are actually family that I just feel odd about deleting, but I hide their updates and have even blocked a few of them from reading my status updates. I basically have turned it into the community I want and keep tabs and connected with the people that matter to me.

All this being said, I am married to someone who thinks FB is ridiculous :)

Tara said...

Oh thank goodness! You had me worried. For a while there I was worried that you were leaving your blog for your FB statuses. But I, like you, am all about the details and I was SO missing the details I would get from your blog. It is the main form of "communication" between the two of us, you know.

I really hate Facebook and really only go there when I want to check up on someone. So, I did check your FB page quite a bit over the last little while as I was hoping for details on how you were doing and I wasn't getting them through your blog. :)

I'm so relieved to hear that blogging is more your style, I've missed hearing from you.

Becky said...

I have never joined facebook. Plenty of people (friends, even) have tried to make me feel guilty about it, and often I'm the last to know about things that "everyone" already found out about on facebook. Including social gatherings that "everyone" was supposedly invited to. But I think I'll continue to hold out!

Natasha said...

I despise Facebook. I joined but then got off quickly. Not only is it a mindless time suck but I found that it was negative, gossipy (is that a word?) and had major issues with it. I had also "friended" people on the Board of Directors where I work so that made me uneasy-- I couldn't necessarily ignore their friend request yet did they need to see pictures of my bunco group, of me on vacation, etc. I just didn't like it at all so one day I quit. I prefer having a private blog by far!