.....I'd be standing next to it discussing my favorite TV show, So You Think You Can Dance. I was worried, after complaining about the camera work last year, and the mostly absent Wade Robson, who is my favorite choreographer, that I was falling on the side of critic. I tend to do that, you know. Complain. It isn't pretty.
So, imagine my delight at such a fun show on Wednesday night. The dancing was....fantastic! I didn't think any of the dancers deserved to go home. After watching the results show, and the dances once more (gotta love the DVR!), I think the judges got one right. Tony. He wasn't near a good enough dancer for the show. But, I know they loved his personality and I was so worried he was going to become the Comfort of last year, staying on the show for sake of diversity and personality instead of actual talent. So, so glad they kept the better dancers instead.
But, I don't think Paris deserved to go. She got stuck with the worst partner and the worst choreography of the night and she still nailed it. I watched their routine again, and she's a really fun dancer to watch. I'm sad she didn't get one more chance. I think Asuka should have been sent home. She's cute and gives the show another female dancer with ballroom experience, but she performed the worse solo and plays on her sultriness a bit too much, I think.
I think Jeanine is the weakest dancer, but she's partnered with Phillipe so I think it'll be a while until she's up for elimination. And I loved their routine, even though it looked like every other sentimental Tabitha and Napoleon routine. It was still great.
The one that gave me chills, though, was Ade and Melissa's jazz routine. I mean, they danced to Richard Marx and that's wrong on more than one level (you shouldn't bring back bad 90s pop, Mandy Moore!). They are both so strong and it's fun to watch people do something so technically hard that you know you couldn't do yourself. That's every dance on the show, but their lifts and positions looked especially hard.
I'm in a So You Think You Can Dance vacuum here! Jay doesn't (won't) watch it and I'm used to having people around me to discuss this with. I've spent hours on the phone with my sister dissecting the dances and still feel unsatisfied. I don't usually enjoy blogging on pop culture but since I have no water cooler....
you're it!
Here's one more to enjoy:)
Friday, June 12, 2009
If I Had A Water Cooler....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


15 comments:
Oh my...call or chat with me about this! I can't get enough this season- and that is saying a lot since I don't want TV.
I completely agree with you on the whole Paris/Asuka thoughts. Asuka kinda drives me crazy.
Ade and Melissa...wow. I think she is stunning all around and can't wait to watch more.
Wade Robson...sigh. He is my choreographer hero. I think I have watched that routine at least 10 times.
I'm trying this show this season because people rave about it so. I must say the dancing was awesome! Loved every minute of it. Melissa's dance could have gone on forever.
But I don't know how much I can take of the adults, the judges, the MC. My ears are bleeding! So now I fast forward to the dances and fast forward to who looks sad at the end. So I don't have a complete grasp on the whole show, don't have my opinions of dancers or choreographers, but am really going to enjoy your recaps to find out what I should be thinking. :)
I know about Mary. Jay says that's why he can't watch. I admit she's annoying, but behind the curtain of her obnoxiousness - she actually does have a good eye for dance. It's when she's screaming, which is most of the time, that she's hard to take.
I think she's become something akin to a crazy aunt for me. I can totally understand why others think she's too much to take, but I guess I'm used to her. I don't even mind her anymore.
I love Cat. I think she's the best host of any reality show. Love her.
I'm glad you're watching! You'll have lots of opinions in no time:)
I am LOVING this season. It's fantastic so far. I agree - Paris didn't deserve to go, and it wasn't their fault really they had to dance to the worst choreography. Luck of the draw.
My dh loves SYTYCD - more than I do! It's kind of funny. LOL
This is only my second season watching and the dancers are so much better this year. I've gotten Milo hooked although he can't stand MM, he learns the names of the dancers before I do. Funny. I like to mimic her when she says, 'Yes ya did. Yes ya did.' I know you can hear her saying that. :)
I like Cat too and I like that she's no dainty flower. I'd love to be a non dainty flower just like her too!
All I know is Weds and Thurs nights are booked for me!
I was a bit worried b/c I wasn't liking the editing of the show with all the auditions, but this last week, the show was awesome! All the dancers really are so amazing in their own way. I totally agree with all your opinions! I think Asuka seems totally fake...with her fake sultriness...there is no real personality there. I think the judges definitely got that one wrong!
I'm a huge fan of the show. It's the perfect way to wind down from my currently crazy life.
I'll start by saying that I love Mary. I can certainly see how some find her annoying but she's a completely different annoying from Paula, for example. She does know what she's talking about and she makes mostly coherent sentences. Maybe it's just one emotional, passionate person connecting with another but I think her screaming is hilarious. She gets me laughing out loud and I love her energy. I almost always agree with her comments.
And I agree about Cat. She's delightful! I find her accent and the way it comes out of the side of her mouth charming. Even the way she adds an "r" sound to anything ending in an "a" is cute. I do wonder if it bothers Tabithar, though.
I'm not sure I'm going to agree with your Paris/Jeanine sentiments. I really like Jeanine and I do, even though it seems unfair to Paris, agree with the judges balancing the genres. I'm not a big Ashuka (Love how Cat's pronouncement sounds like Oscar.)fan but I wasn't any more impressed with Paris. I did feel badly for the first two to go and wondered aloud if going home first would be even harder than not making the top 20 at all. At least then they could audition again.
And finally, I did my only little happy dance with my hands when they announced a Wade Robson routine. Definitely my fav! I loved the crash dummies and didn't think it was nearly as weird as the judges made it out to be.
Can't wait for next week...
Lucy
Is it just me, or are you passionate about so you think you can dance???
AF
Yay! Chit chat!
Tara, what are you seeing in Jeanine? I guess I'll have to watch her more closely next week but she did not impress me in her routine this week. And Paris did. I hated their song, hated their costumes, and disliked Tony, but every time I watch her, I am impressed. Hmmmm....
I think Asuka will get something like a salsa routine to show her off. I really don't think the dances assigned to the couples are random.
AF, I hope my passion is not a summer reality TV show. But, yes, I do love it.
I don't watch this show, but maybe I oughta. I've got several friends that rave about this show!! :) I am glad it's fun for you! I hope you get lots of virtual water cooler mileage out of it!! :)
I need a SYTYCD buddy, Michelle. Come on over! It's Wednesdays and Thursdays!:)
DH used to watch this with me, the year that Benji and Heidi were on. My favorite, favorite, favorite ever SYTYCD dance was the one they did to Rama Lama that year. Every once in awhile I'll pull it up on U Tube just because it makes me happy.
I have a couple more dances to watch, but the results show didn't get DVR'd this week. Dang!
I TOTALLY thought of you watching this last week. Man, I wish you were closer. I actually got online to try and get live tickets this year...still waiting for the email.
I think this has been the most talented year yet, not to mention yay for Wade back on the show.
As far as Mary goes the tamale train gets forwarded at our house. She is just too much for my ears.
I loved the show last week, too! I even made my sisters re-watch it with me the next day. They made me fast forward judges, etc., but it's fun to get a quick second take on some of the dances.
I'm soooo behind on this post! But yes, it's the only show I'm watching this summer!!!!
And now, due to a tornado warning about 2 hours from here, I missed all but 3 dances from tonite's show. BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Post a Comment