I've been a bit of a hermit lately. I'm either reading at home or at the gym on the treadmill (it's how I'm managing to get my weekly goal of 10,000 steps/day in). I did step out on the town last night to go see U23D. It's so good. Go, if you're at all a fan of U2 or even if you only used to be. It's uplifting and surprisingly added to the spirit I've been feeling this week.
I'm down to my last 100 pages in the Book of Mormon. The three days of darkness and torment have just ceased and Christ has appeared to the Nephites and Lamanites. I can't wait to "review" this book and my experience, but I needed a little time to reflect on what's happened so far before I forged ahead with, what I consider, the best part of these scriptures. As I've read it so quickly, I've been made aware of a few things I hadn't really taken a lot of notice before. The most obvious is how important the leader of the land is in regards to the peace, prosperity and security of the people. And along those lines, how quickly glossed over the good times are so that the details of the bad times is the focus. With that in mind, the story and doctrine still manages to uplift, which is surprising to me. I've read many, many books where the characters ignore what's best for them and the take away message is usually, "Life sucks and then you die."
Not so with the Good Book. The theme is most definitely, "Keep my commandments and you shall prosper." They do. We do. And yet we continue to forget.
I think I'll finish tonight. I'm hooked! This is such a great thing to do. Not necessarily the best way to keep your house clean or stay current in blog land, but "to everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven."
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Coming Up For Breath
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


17 comments:
These are interesting thoughts on the Book of Mormon, I'll be looking forward to your official review.
I just started over with The Book of Mormon on the 22nd and am loving that reading it is such a habit with me now. Since I retain so little of what I read, repetition is important, so reading The Book of Mormon every year is proving to be the best option for me. I get new things out of it every single time.
That was such a good review right there! Even if it wasn't a review. I can't wait for the full one. I'm impressed you've read it so fast. I have managed to keep up with my sunday school lessons, but that is it. You are inspiring me, though!
How cool to read the Book of Mormon like that!!! I remember once in YW having to read the whole book in 30 days. Not quite as fast as you - but I was amazed at the different perspective you get when you read it all together and not so spaced out like the usual reading goes.
Enjoy the rest tonight!
Okay you are my inspiration! I am so impressed that you are almost done! I hope someday I can do that....
This is soooo cool.
Amazing that you're almost done. Good for you. I look forward to the rest of your thoughts.
I admire you for doing that! I wish that I was bold enough to say that I'd do the same. Honestly, my mind wanders a ton when I read the scriptures. I want to do better.
Awesome! I'm so impressed you are doing it. I remember how fast you read it last time when President Hinckley issued the challenge.
We are snowed in and our internet has been down for two days. Your blog was one of the first I checked and I loved this update.
Good for you! I'm glad you were able to go to U23D...I cannot wait:) I'm so impressed that you're getting your walking in, too!
I have never read it that quickly. The extra insight would be worth it.
Good for you!!! I just finished East of Eden because of your review. It was good to read it again. Maybe I'll try the BofM before I come home. Can you believe six weeks???
Lucy...that is so fantastic!! I cannot wait to read your review. What a neat experience.
Your reading amazing me and now the BOM in such a short time?
I had to laugh at the "not the way to keep a clean house or stay current"
Awesome! I'm so proud of you. I've always admired your reading talent. What a great thing to do.
I can only work out if I bribe myself with sweet entertainment in the form of excellent tunes or Alias re-runs. I cannot fathom the dedication it must require to workout AND read scriptures at the same time. You.blow.my.mind!
Thank you for being the kind of friend who continually inspires me and yet doesn't make me feel like a schlepp for not being where you're at!
Way to go! I so enjoy reading the B of M. I always learn something new:)
If only I could juggle the jogger, the dog AND the book. I would be in business!!
Post a Comment