Sunday, July 29, 2007

When Bloggers Get Together...


You know how there are days when you feel like meeting new people and days when you absolutely do not? Yesterday was THE day of all days to feel up to meeting new people (well...except for perhaps that first day of freshman orientation at BYU when you get put into a "Y Group" and your willingness to pass oranges from neck to neck can make or break your week) and I....was....a....grump! Jay was gone pretty much all day looking for a new car. The truck has been acting strangely at times, not to mention burning a hole in our pockets keeping it full of gas, so we decided to lose the truck and gain a commuter car. I printed out a list of cars for Jay to go look at and off he went. For about 20 minutes. Then he came back with a little black cloud over his head and some black on his hands and clothes. Flat tire. On a highway.

After some convincing that it wasn't really optional, he went back out into the big, bad, car-shopping world and I resumed Saturday chores. I was on a roll and got all the bedding washed and changed, all the laundry done, folded, AND put away, the three bathrooms cleaned and the upstairs vacuumed. Then I came downstairs and my efforts there from the night before had been undone by a day of playing boys. Which I need to realize is their job and not get so offended by it.

Sigh

I honestly think I was stressed at the thought of going to a party full of relative strangers and those nerves and Jay being gone all day and my dislike of housework created the perfect storm. Jay called me to tell me he bought a car! And I kind of crushed his excitement by telling him I needed to get in the shower.

If I was a flake, which I pray I'm not although I have flaky moments, I probably would have skipped out. Driving down I wished I had done more homework and found out who was going so that I could have read their blogs and had some clue as to what to talk to them about. When I pulled into the parking lot, I saw a group of girls and wondered if they were going to the blog party. Instead of asking if their gifts and food were heading in the same direction, I avoided eye-contact and walked into the building alone.

There was the sign. Blog Party - Room 316. This was it. I was officially going.

Up on the third floor, I entered a rather dark room with wood floors that was filled with women, nicely wrapped gifts, some balloons and flowers and surprisingly comfortable chairs. I immediately saw Jill, who I recognized and my mood snapped. I was genuinely very glad to meet her. She was very friendly, someone came over to us and grabbed the pink-frosted Sam's Club cookies I brought (bookgroup gals, I haven't changed at all. I meant to make something delectable and pretend that it was the sort of thing I whipped up all the time but, once again, a store came to my rescue) and I picked up a clipboard with questions about my blog preferences and opinions. Dana was there and I headed to sit near a familiar face.

Amy M. and Dana

I looked around and was surprised that no one seemed familiar. I thought from reading comments on other blogs, or the memory from the time I had read their blog (because I swear I've at least looked at most people's blogs) I would sense familiarity around me but I really felt like I was in a room full of complete strangers. Jill encouraged us to get some food so I went to the food table and picked out some goodies (not those puffy pink cookies though). As I was eating, I recognized Annalisa and she came over to sit next to Dana and me. She's happy and enthusiastic and it was great to put a live personality on another blogger whose blog I read.

Me and Annalisa

She came with two of her sisters, Crystalyn and Laralee, who I met and thought were friendly and fun.
Jana, Annalisa and Hannah

I won a door prize - and I wasn't too proud to snatch the fudge!

Rachel came over because Dana was her friendly face too and I remembered that she was Donna's sister-in-law (her brother is Donna's husband - Donna and Ryan are good friends with Jen and Christopher). Rachel is this impossibly small person with a really great personality. Very friendly and open, it was naturally easy to become friends with her.

Rachel and me

When I had finished eating and walking back from getting a Diet Pepsi, I recognized Allison, who I knew was a good friend of Jenny. I knew we had the medical school/residency journey in common and we talked about that and her perseverance in the south.

Allison and me.

Crystalyn was next to us and soon we were talking about our RSV scares with our babies. Really, having an infant in the ICU is a bond.

At that point, Jill started the introductions and went around the circle of chairs individually describing each attendee. I did great until about the last ten people whose names I probably still couldn't get right. But Jill knew everyone. Not just their names but about them. It was fun to catch her subtle humor when she was introducing someone she was good friends with. Like her friend Amie or Claudia or Michelle - you can tell she truly loves her friends.

Jill introducing Jenn or Allison

Jill introducing Collette and Lindsay

After introductions, we were given a number to go find a present. We all opened them at the same time, but then went around the room again and showed what we had received and thanked whoever brought it.
Rachel got a very cute gift from Amy M.

I'd have to say, people went all out making their gifts personal and cute. So many address books, notebooks, cards and stickers and journals. I brought a frame and no, I didn't make it. I was kind of embarrassed about my gift and was mortified when I saw Claudia walking back to her chair, which happened to be right next to mine, with the gift I brought. She, in her fetching white linen outfit with strappy espadrilles sandals and sparkly jewelry just seemed to deserve something MORE. I didn't admit for awhile that I brought it and she even seemed fine with it.

I got one of the most crafty gifts offered that night, which, if you know me, is hugely ironic.

Look Out! Lucy is going to to get out scissors!

Chloe gave me paper, which I know what to do with, and markers, again I know what for....to write with I presume, and some letter stickers which are obviously to be used to identify things or used at titles. The only things that completely bewilder me are the felt cut-outs that came in a bottle. Do I glue them to something? Don't they only stick onto other felt things? Is it to be used in some sort of Family Home Evening?

Huh?

After gifts, we huddled for a group photo. By now, everyone seemed comfortable and relaxed and it was a good time for photo ops. That is when I took most of the pictures you see here but unfortunately, relaxed and comfortable doesn't mean that blush and mascara are still looking good. What can I say...it was four hours later!

Dana and me


I was about to leave but hadn't met someone I had really wanted to meet. I sort of forced myself onto Amy M. whose photography I am in awe of and whose thoughts and perspectives I truly enjoy reading. She was extremely nice, humble and oddly unaware of her massive talent.

Crystalyn, Amy M. and me

I didn't meet everyone. No one really knew who I was, since I don't have a picture of me as part of my profile and don't have my blog linked to my profile. If they were in doubt as to my identity, I pulled my Jenny card and that seemed to appease anyone. I know Jenny. In real life. At blog parties, that will get you far.

I wish my Spokane blog posse could have been there. Andrea and Kristin, you were especially missed because I know you both would have loved it. And I don't wish you were there so that you could have shielded me from the awkwardness of making new friends, but it would have been fun to enjoy this all with you. You were there in spirit and if there is ever another one, I expect you to be there! There were lots of other bloggers I wish would have been there. I can see the temptation in organizing one. Inviting all the people you want to meet in your particular blog arena. Maybe someday when I have a yard and the money to lure everyone with fancy soda and crackers!

Overall, I believe bloggers are a great group of people. Open, giving and friendly....the kind of people you want to know. I think my favorite part of the evening was finding out how everyone started blogging. Talk about six degrees of separation!. Jill was definitely Kevin Bacon last night as most blogs stemmed from her. So, thanks Jill, for your gracious hostessing and open arms. I had a lot of fun.

THE blog-girl, Jill!

20 comments:

JnR said...

I'm so glad you went! I really wish I had been able to go, I would have been like you, I think I would recognize Jill but no one else! I think I read most of the peoples blogs but then I know I wouldn't remember who goes with what!!!! Maybe I will throw a little blog party at my house because I'm really sad I missed it! Everyone seems like such a great friend, I want to have great friends!!!! Sorry, glad you went and enjoyed.

Amber said...

I'm SO SO sad I didn't make it! I really wanted to come- but after spending the day moving my mom I was beat. I don't think I could have stayed awake to drive down to Lindon, party and drive back.

We definately need to get together though!

andrea said...

Now that you have broken the barrier I may have the courage to go. I'm so amazed you made it through. I'm also proud of you for going and getting the report to kristin and I. I love the part about the jenny card. Hilarious and isn't it the truth. Everyone knows Jenny. At least you had met a couple of people beforehand. I'm jealous you met Amy M. I love her blog too.

Now, what kind of car did Jay buy and did you sell the truck?? Details!

Melissa said...

I think you are brave. It is intimidating to walk into a room of people you haven't ever met before. And why do all bloggers have to be so crafty anyway?

Emily said...

I'm so glad you had fun. And if I remember correctly, you are a scrapbooker extraordinaire. :p

Rachel said...

I was SO happy to meet you, too! I was just telling my hubby I could totally see myself hanging out with YOU! You are so REAL, so beautiful, so fun! It's funny...we all had this apprehension and hesitation, I think. I spent the first hour and a half, nervous, awkward, and uncomfortable, but by the end of the night, I was having a ball! Too bad I was so EXHAUSTED and yawning by 10pm! Thanks for making the connection for me with Donna and Jen! If you ever need a friend to grab lunch, catch a movie, or whatever, I would LOVE to join you! My e-mail is rbwurtz@yahoo.com
Ciao!

Kelly said...

Whew! I am finally caught up. Now I have a grasp on everything you alluded to in our phone calls. Hard to stay current through stilted cell phone static. Four more days!

I am so glad you went to the blogger party. Your recap is almost as good as being there!

jenny said...

I really enjoyed the recap along with our phone conversation. I am laughing about the Jenny card. Well, I guess at least I was there in spirit. Hey, maybe next year right??

Hey and if you are not needing any paper you know where to send it :) I won't feel bad about it.

Elizabeth said...

I would have loved to meet you. I am glad you had fun. And I love picture frames.

Carolee said...

That sounded like so much fun. I feel like I am already friends with people I havent met and so I would love to have the chance to meet everyone. Im glad you went!!

Jill said...

I'm so happy that you came to the party! It was a treat to meet you. It's hard to believe you could be shy, because you seem so personable and funny (but then again so is Amie and yet she's comes off as shy too). Hmmm.

I hope you left feeling like you have a slew of friends in Utah!

Jill said...

By the way, I love those pink cookies and managed to have one of those last night even though I didn't really get to eat. Also, I brought chips and dip so I didn't make anything either and I'm fine with that.

donna said...

Wow lucy how fun. I am so glad you were able to meet Rachel. She is very sweet. Have a great day :)

chloe said...

You can glue them (or use an adhesive). Or you can give them to someone else.

It was so nice to meet you. Welcome to Utah.

Kari said...

Well, what a thorough recap!!
It sounds like it was a decent time for you despite your inhibitions.

How's the new car?

Anonymous said...

I love your commentary on the felt shapes- I've never thought about them from a non-scrappers point of view.

It was fun meeting you- I am excited to have a new local blog to read :)

Lindsay said...

I didn't get the chance to talk with you at the party. So hello. Welcome to Utah. I have only been here for a year and still feel very new. Now that I've "met" you I'll have to check back in here.

Your boys are totally adorable, by the way. I have three boys too. I was lucky to sneak one girl in there at the beginning though.

Laralee Anderson said...

I loved meeting you, you have an fun personality. I can tell you have a great sense of humor and I smiled everytime you were talking. And besides, you got fudge! That was worth the trip right there! I can't wait until our next party...

Barb said...

You are fun to read. Great summary of the party, your impressions and feelings. I think of Jill as the Blogging R.S. president.

Victoria said...

Awww looks like fun! Wish I had remembered it I would of come too! Glad you all had a great time!! :)