I took Seth to second grade today. We had no information other than the name of his teacher (which I sort of remembered....I knew it started with a "C") so I tried taking him to directly to his classroom. But his teacher didn't have her name on the door because she's new so I had to ask someone else where Mrs. Crossley's classroom was. The teacher responded, "Miss Coley?" Well, of course, that's what I meant! The bell had rung and the kids were lining up outside so I had to take Seth back outside to line up. There was a lot of Spanish being spoken outside. It's not a bad thing, I'm just not used to it. In reality, for the percentage of moms there by race, I was a minority. I went inside with him and saw him find his desk. His class is big and diverse and he was very quiet and nervous.
The pick-up scene was straight out of Mr. Mom. They have a new system and it was a mess. I heard the instructions from the morning, but was the only minivan in the new pick-up line after school and I doubted myself. I moved the van and parked not wanting Seth to have any panic about where I would be. But then the principle came out and hollered at all the parents "doing it wrong." I was right, darn it! Should have stuck to my guns but Seth will know where to find me tomorrow.
Seth said he had a good day. I remembered the trick to not ask general questions so kept peppering him with specifics like, "Did you do any math?" "Did you play soccer at recess?" Turns out he played by himself at recess and can't remember who he sat by at lunch, but the boys who sits next to him, "seems like a nice boy" (his words). I must not panic. I am not sure about this school.
I had my first invitation for a park play date today. A nice woman from my ward came to my door at 4:00 to see if I wanted to walk to the park with her. Jay had just gotten home (academic day) so I asked if we could do it another day. So that's hopeful.
I feel like my situation here is very unusual. Most of the time, when you move, you'd think that finding friends, getting yourself out there, would be important. But, we have so much family so close by that we have this built in social network. And we are only here for one year. So, my desire to bond with women in my ward is low. Not non-existent, but low. That feels wrong to me.
Then, add the fact that I am now in a place that affords the opportunity to meet new "blogger" friends. I can honestly say, a year ago, I would never have imagined any desire to meet anyone I happened to meet via the internet. It really seemed weird to me. But here it is, a year later, and I went to see a movie with a blogger, having lunch with a blogger and going to an actual blog party on Saturday. I heard about it awhile ago but you know how many little circles there are in blogland, and I'm not really part of this particular blog party circle. But, I know about it and I know some of the people going, and I started to convince myself that I'm a blogger and should go! Now, I'm not so sure. Well, I RSVP'd...so I'm going. But it's kind of like going on a blind date for me. Except I know exactly how they look and pretty much everything about their lives. So...maybe not so blind. But you know what I mean, right? I don't know what their voice sounds like, or if they do this thing with their neck that drives me crazy or if they are a close talker. Even worse, what if I'm neck lady and I don't even know it? Then, there could be this coded talk going on around blogs about neck lady and I'd be thinking, "I didn't notice her."
Real life studies insist that there will be people I am drawn to, that I enjoy talking to and mingling with, and that there will be people there who I do not. And vice versa. I don't want people not to like me. And I can avoid that very thing if I don't go. But I RSVP'd. So I'm going.
Do you know how many cameras are going to be there? You know I can't control all the cropping and editing with all of those cameras!! What if someone doesn't delete the unflattering picture of my double chin or crazy eyes? Eeek! Really, I should be focused on the great and wonderful new relationships that I will enjoy but all I can think about is which shirt will best camouflage my arms. Stay tuned.
So I need some courage. I know some of you would go at the drop of the hat and have a ball. But, I have been given the responsibility to bring a good-mail exchange present and I know some unlucky girl, who probably loves ribbon, is going to have to go home disappointed with my store-bought TJ Maxx great find.
Would anybody else be stressing about this? It'll be fun, right?




11 comments:
If the party gets dull, I would recommend breaking out your "jazz feet". That should help get things going!
Wow Seth is in school already. Boy he had a short summer.
HAve fun with all your bloggers :)
I am feeling some trepidation as well. We can be trepidatious?? together! ROFL! :P
I just want to give Seth a hug! Poor little lamb...back in school again. Oh-I feel your pain and worry about kids and schools and wondering if it will all be ok. I'm sure it will be and even if it sucks it's just one year. He is going to do great!
I am so proud of you for getting out there and meeting people from blogland. I can't wait to hear about it!
Everyone is going to LOVE YOU!!
Oh my sister in law Rachel is going to that blog party :)
Going to a new school is always difficult but what amazes me is that it's STILL difficult even though it's not ME going! I think I stress worse for my kids!!
Good Luck at the Blog party, I get where you're coming from.
I don't care who you are new schools, new house regardless if family are around are hard. I hope it gets better. For a second I thought I was looking at a San Antonio school photo :) Who would of thought we would have fluent speaking Spanish in that part of Utah. (I hope that wasn't offensive, but kinda funny)
Well, you know my take on the blog party after our talk the other night. Who knows you may come up with a "secret code" for someone. Just kidding. Remember to take lots of notes for those of us who can't make it!! I probably will be calling for a FULL scoop.
I'm with Jenny, I want the full scoop. I'd be a little nervous myself.
It made me a little sad to see Seth with all the school kids. We will miss him so much this year. I hope he enjoys 2nd grade. I can't believe you have already started.
I crop all of my big arms out of every picture. That would scare me also. I hope you have fun!
I can't believe that he's back in school already!
I'm not part of that blog circle at all- but Emily had told me about the gathering and I followed your link and begged for an invite. How's that for pathetic? :D Pretty sure I'm going to be attending.... So I'll be the neck lady not you. ;)
I was wishing I could go to the blogging party, but I hadn't thought of the photos! And it's not like anyone leaves the climbing tshirt photo of someone else uncropped on purpose, they just don't look with a critical eye at others the same way they do at themselves. Well, I just told a small lie. I purposely left the popped dress shirt/belly button photo of a guest at our wedding uncropped because I thought it was funny, but that was nearly 17 years ago and I've matured since then and it's not like I posted it on the internet because there was no internet at the time . . . I'm sure the blogging ladies will be more thoughtful!
Post a Comment