My camera ran out of batteries! How am I supposed to blog about a parade without pictures of some of the better moments? This won't be nearly as entertaining as it could have been...
Jay left early this morning, shortly after 5:00 am, to secure curbside seating for the rest of us. We still left at the early hour of 7:30 to meet him downtown and wait for the granddaddy of Utah parades to wow us. Jay got a great spot and had set up a sun shade for all of our camp chairs. All around us were people sleeping in sleeping bags and on top of air mattresses that had been there all night. Babies, toddlers, kids...I do not understand that kind of fervor for a parade.
A fighter jet flew overhead right at 9:00, the parade start time, and flew lower than I'd ever seen one fly. It was impressive and got us all a bit excited for the celebration. But we were probably a mile down the parade route and so didn't see anything else for another thirty minutes. Lots of motorcycle brigades doing driving tricks. President Hinckley led the parade in the back of a convertible with one of his daughters. THAT'S when I noticed that my camera was completely out of batteries. So sad. But we waved and he waved back with his fun long buckskin gloves on. What a dear man.
Lots of cheesy politicians behind him and then the floats and marching bands. There were a lot of floats! One for each suburb of Salt Lake. And it seemed like one for each stake, although I know it was really only a fraction of all of them. And lots of other floats besides. Other churches, businesses, organizations. Such an interesting phenomenon to me. So much money must go into those floats! Do they recycle them? Reuse them the next year? It would be hard for me to be passionate about making one.
Overall, I'm really glad we went. Interesting people attend parades! We sat by a lady, who for the entire duration of the parade, called out congratulations or hellos to whoever passed her by. "Good job, runner" to each of the hundreds of marathon runners passing by us before and during the parade. There is simply no way to describe it as annoying and hilarious as it became as she was calling out to "Good job, horse people!" "Good job, parade walker" as the names of their titles or purpose weren't clear to her. We also sat right next to our old Chemistry instructor at BYU. Dr. Kucher! Jay and I both had him for Organic Chemistry and as he is one of 5-10 instructors I would even know by name or face, we said "hello". He, of course, didn't remember us, but it was fun to see his white flat top again. He's serving a mission at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building.
More importantly, going to the parade made the day feel festive. I love the history of the pioneers and the celebration of their arrival here in Salt Lake. Not only is this area flourishing and pulsing with life, but their foundations here have really spread worldwide.
Jay had the rest of the day off and we enjoyed a restaurant like Rodizio Grill called Grille from Impanena which is a Brazilian Steakhouse. Lots of meat. Jay was in heaven and declared it his new favorite restaurant. The rest of the day has been spent lounging, reading, and relaxing. And now I need to go get dinner going because the boys need to go to bed earlier than they are used to. It's a school night!
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Days of '47
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
So fun to be in a place where you actually celebrate this day! And I love the celebrating with anything like Rodizio Grill. Yum!
I am totally laughing about the lady sitting next to you. How funny.
What I would do for your sunny outing on the parade route. Although I am sure it was a tad warm.
Doug went to a Brazilian steakhouse after his boards and said he ate until he almost PUKED. But it was worth it.
And I must say I am so glad you didn't reveal the ending....you had me wondering.
School night already?! I'm jealous you got to go to that parade. I would have LOVED it! Parades are so much fun!!
I love Spokane, but what I really miss is a good parade. Oh, yes they have the Lilac parade that is in May and in the Evening in the cold, dark Northwest - how exciting is that?!!!!
Glad you and your kids could enjoy a good old parade. (Even with over-enthusiastic lady commenting on every parade participant.)
I am glad you got a fun summer day in.
I am glad I didn't scroll down to far, because I don't know what happens yet. I need to go buy it, instead of waiting for my friends copy.
"Good Job Blogger!!"...that lady has me LAUGHING!! I'm glad you got to experience a little taste of what it means to be from Utah.
I can't believe Pres. Hinckley was in a convertible! Carolyn, Valynn and I were just wondering if they still did that...I remember President Kimball in the back of a white convertible with a big old ten-gallon hat on! Quite a sight. But we decided that the prophet probably didn't do that anymore due to safety reasons. We were apparently wrong. ;)
A school night...ugh! My condolences.
The parade sounds like so much fun, especially the commentator. I can just see you and Jay rolling your eyes over her.
I would have loved for my kids to see President Hinckley in the convertible. He is so amazing.
I can't wait to hear about Seth's first day of school. I hope he does great.
I only have 100 pages left of Harry Potter. I have to share it with my boys. Eli is done and I wanted to finish last night but Jason couldn't take it any longer and said lights out.
Glad Jay found a restaurant!!
I'm going to be in Utah 2 weeks too late for Pioneer Day. I'll have to put that on my future travel list. Maybe try to time a future church history road trip to end in Utah on the 24th, or would that be over doing it?
You MUST be in SLC if President Hinckley is riding in parades. I can't even imagine! Very cool.
I'm proud of you for being successfully festive after the Fourth of July loss. :)
My stomach is literally growling at the thought of a Rodizio-like restaurant. I'm not even a big meat craver, but I LOVE that restaurant!! There are so many great things about living in SLC, enjoy your year..
Post a Comment