Monday, July 30, 2007

The Tour d'Luciville

This is mostly for my family and friends back home who have wanted to see my new home. And, I suppose, for the little voyeur in the rest of you:)

I have never pretended to possess any style or knack for decor. But, once you add all the factors together (white walls without license to paint, different floor plan where old decorations no longer work and a one-year time line...so why go buy new things that go) and the result even worse than what I can normally come up with. It is a pretty bland environment. I'll probably add a few more things to the walls but not that much. What's the point? Oh...a welcoming and inviting environment to exist in? Yeah, that would be nice, I guess. Next year.

I like it although it is not without its flaws. Like the dining room at the bottom of the stairs that blocks one of the entrances to the kitchen. Or ALL OF THE CARPET!!! Carpet in eating areas is only appropriate if you happen to be 75 with no chance of kids coming over. We've lived here a month and the carpet has already been dosed with boiling water (a surefire way to get stains out) to get out an orange juice spill, several milk spills, red jello that Henry some how got a hold of and used as play-doh, and jedi juice (a recipe from the blogger cookbook - fabulous!) I hate it.

But mostly I like the place. It's newer and everything works, especially the A/C (except for the one day it did not but thankfully Jay did not panic like I did and managed to change the filter, unfreeze the pipe and get us cold again). I even like my oval garden tub without any kind of curtain to close and the completely clear glass shower that overexposes both of us. Thankfully, there are no secrets anymore.

Here it is! Our little abode for the next year:


This is the view from the front door. There is a little tiled entry way with the piano room (messy picture in post from yesterday) to the left and the living room, which is separated by a half wall to the right. ( I realize that mirror is ridiculously small for that wall, but it's what I have.)

This is the half bath right next to the door from the garage. Now that I'm looking at it, that decorative piece needs to come down a foot. Rebecca! Help!


The view coming in from the garage. From the dining room.


Taken from the bottom of the stairs looking to living room.


The living room with a few escapee puzzle pieces.


At the top of the stairs is the main bathroom.


Turn around in the hallway and there is where I sit at this very minute.


Next to the computer area is the spare room and...


the laundry room. No more walking through a closet to get to the laundry for me!

Seth and Sam's room is in the middle of the three bedrooms. Henry is now in a portacrib in the spare bedroom. He was originally in our master closet. The bedrooms get pretty light.


Our master bedroom. It's very spacious and stark.


The hallway to the master bath. I will not design a master room this way. I hate that if Jay gets up early then there is light in the room. There needs to be a door or sharper corner or something.


My reading room:) Nothing like a good book in a hot bath. There's a little private toilet room with a door to the right of the shower. I love that idea. Even though that barrier has been broken long ago, it's still nice to have some privacy when you gotta go!

Oh... that's it. I don't really want to end this with any visions of using the actual toilet so let me think of something else. Oh wait..



Here's our little yard. There is no gate or shed so I have no idea what the previous occupant did to mow this little patch of grass. You'd have to wheel the mower through the house if you kept it in the garage! Jay just weed whacked it. I guess that's what we'll keep doing even though I think it permanently messed up his shoulder. The rose bushes up top are nice to look at but growing all sorts of out of control. What am I supposed to do with them?????


There you have it! I hope you had a nice time. Did you notice the spare room? We're willing if you're able!

20 comments:

Amie said...

What a good day for me to come by your blog (and get to see where you live...) It was fun meeting you. I love the image of bringing the lawnmower through the house!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the tour. Your tub looks great. Mine is really unusable. It needs to be refinished or something. I miss my reading time.

Jen Childers said...

Looks great...it's nice to have a visual of your surroundings. Looks like you've been busy cleaning, too:)

RoRo2 said...

Does this make me a voyeur then? I love looking at peoples homes I really like your kitchen and how open it is, and the computer desk is all snug in its place. I know what you mean with the master bedroom, all we have is a bed and dinky little unmatching nightstands!

I'm thinking I need more visual for outside, I love the 'have to take the lawn mower thru the house' how funny!

Oh and this is jernro I started a new blog.

Emily said...

Yes, show us your gate!
Thanks for the pics...but where do you talk on the phone?
Those are really white walls-- not even builders beige. Looks nice enough for a year though. enjoy!

Bekki said...

I like it! I hoping to have some pics up soon of everything we've done to our house recently.

Bekki

Rachel said...

Nice. :)
And so clean!
I especially love the backyard landscaping!

andrea said...

Looks good. I wish you would have posted a picture of your TV. Where did you end up putting it?

Anonymous said...

I can hardly wait to accept your offer! Consider it accepted for next March!! Nice to be able to see where you are.

[alisar] said...

A rockin' rental! In my one-year jaunt in Spokane, I left lots of decorations packed, because, like you said, what's the point? It'll be fun for you to get stuff out again or buy new because you'll be in your next house for a long time.

Kelly said...

It looks perfectly homey. We lived here four years before we finally changed a wall or hung an ornament. I wouldn't know what to do with a tiny mirror or bathroom ornaments either. I am impressed they are up at all!

Too bad about the one year thing. You'll be moving right at the time your glass shower builds up the perfect privacy screen of soap scum and hard water stains. Works for us, no more peeking!

donna said...

OH it looks great. Home sweet Home!!!!!

chloe said...

So cute! I so miss having a home. While I may not take you up on the guest bedroom here (since I have a bedroom in Utah), didn't you say you're moving to Colorado?

We should definitely hang out sometime. Are you going to be part of the foodies group (Dana's thing), because I will be there!

Lucy said...

Andrea - I know...I totally forgot to take a picture of the TV! Hello. It's sits on a cute Santa-Fe styled stand opposite the couch.

Emily - um...three cordless phones takes me anywhere. But boring ol'me is usually in the black computer chair or on the couch. I wish I could work and talk.

Mom - can't wait!

Kelly - I have become a fastidious squeegier! No soap scum for me! Apparently, I like the exposure:)

Chloe - yup! I plan an even better set-up in Colorado so there's some motivation for you.

{krista} said...

I have no door on my bathroom either... and at least you have a corner... you can see into the tub from my bed (luckily the shower and toilet are in it's own little room with a door). However, I hung up curtains over the doorway. Best thing I EVER did!!!

Cute house, btw.

Kristin said...

Thanks for letting us take a peek at your new abode. Very nice! It's fun to visualize you at your computer! ;)

Shelah said...

very, very nice. I have a feeling that I need to email you or something about where you live and my future living possibilities.

jenny said...

Fabulous idea. I love virtual tours and actually it's much bigger than I envisioned. It was fun to see your little home. I would love to come take a visit. Hope you have fun with Kelly!

Laralee Anderson said...

I love your house! It is beautiful and I love how big the master room is. Thank you for sharing. Oh yeah, I love the rocks in the backyard too.

Barb said...

Ken was looking over my shoulder as I read this post and he said, "They need to paint their walls." I told him you already said that. The kitchen design and the bar where you can serve your kids snacks and daytime meals looks great, but how crazy is it to have carpet there??? I also like your rock retaining wall in your yard.