Friday, July 20, 2007

My Meantime

During a particular rough patch of my sophomore year of college, my well-meaning but extremely annoying returned missionary roommates sat me down in our apartment living room one day because they were worried about me. To show their concern, they pushed play on a CD player and out came a melodious tune about hope, faith, heartbreak and redemption. Something Michael McLeanish. I don't remember what song it was but I remember being appalled. Not. My. Style. Oh how times have changed.

I still don't own any Cherie Call or Hilary Weeks CDs (they aren't bad, they just aren't what I enjoy listening to) but, occasionally, I have been asked to sing some of that kind of music so I know a few songs. Several years ago, I was asked to sing a musical number for a stake relief society meeting called In The Meantime. When I was finished, many women in the room had tears in their eyes. I could understand why they might be there, but the song didn't speak to me then. Not the way it does today. I thought of it tonight and looked up its lyrics online. Here they are:

In the Meantime by Tyler Castleton

In her heart she holds the dreams
That she’s carried since the day she turned thirteen
Of all that she would be when she was grown
Of all that she would do when she was finally on her own


She dreamed she’d fly
And she’s still waiting for the chance to try


But in the meantime she’s a mother and a daughter and a wife
Doing all she can to stay above the daily grind
She wonders when she’ll ever have more meaning in her life
She doesn’t know she’s being molded and refined


In the meantime


Someday she’ll go back to school
When the carpools and the soccer games are through
‘cause deep inside she’s still the girl
Who’s always felt the fire to make a difference in the world


She dreams she’ll soar
When she finally has the time to do more


But in the meantime she’s a sister and a teacher and a friend
Hours turn into days that turn to years that never end
She wonders when she’ll ever really find herself again
But she’s becoming one on whom God can depend


In the meantime


Heaven feels the joy of every victory in her life
and heaven hears her heart before she cries
Somewhere in the middle of the triumphs and the trials
She’s becoming sanctified


But in the meantime she’s an answer and a blessing and a gift
To every empty, aching heart that only she can lift
She still wonders if she’ll ever get to see where heaven is
If she could only see her mansions waiting there
If she could only feel how much her Father cares
She would know she’s being perfectly prepared


In the meantime


Days like today are why songs like this are written. This whole day has been a let down and I admit to sitting here with tears. I look at those lyrics and I think to myself, "Someday...all of this drudgery is going to matter. Someday, I will realize that what I do counts." But it's hard today to think that.

Yesterday, Clark and Stephanie invited us to Stephanie's grandparent's cabin in the mountains tonight. I was so ready to do something that screams summertime fun. We were going to break out the games and cook on camp stoves and sleep in sleeping bags. But Seth had a relapse this morning. His fever came back and he fell asleep in my bed. I knew at that moment that camping was out for him. And me.

It made it hard to go happily about the rest of the day. It made me less than patient with Henry as I shopped for gluten-free food in a great store called Against the Grain but also a store with no shopping carts or a way to keep Henry from taking things off the shelves and putting them in his mouth. It made me curse Tyson's Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts and Sam's Club for only having bags of chicken breasts that are injected with chicken broth which contains gluten. I had to get stuff for the rest of the family to have fun. Pack the food, pack the games....watch as they left. I feel immature for caring but, pardon me, my summer has been a drag. This was our last weekend before Seth starts school on Wednesday. Jay had an academic day today and we were going to get to leave early and I was so excited to just do something relaxing in the mountains.

This evening, Seth perked up a little, and I thought it'd be fun if I took him to Iggy's for dinner. Mistake. He was shivering the whole time and we were there for less than half and hour. I had our waitress bring boxes because he didn't touch his chicken and fries and I only ate half of my Philly sandwich and onion rings. But I left both boxes on the table. I remembered less than five minutes later and walked back but they had already thrown them away. Sigh.

I bought a book to read tonight knowing I'd be on my own once Seth was in bed but I wanted something a little more light-hearted so I thought I'd go to one of those Red-Boxes and see if I could find Music and Lyrics to rent or some other cute film(our netflix selections were clearly picked by Jay) but they were all horror films I've never even heard of. I ended up watching the Dog Whisperer with Seth on my lap.

Is this my meantime? Watching the Dog Whisperer by choice? I don't know if my home sickness has kicked in (Spokane - I miss you), if I'm in let down mode after a house full of guests or (Jen, I'm sorry I wasn't a better hostess) or if I'm just a selfish person who resents missing out on the party because I really don't know if I'm being molded and refined or just bludgeoned by middle age.

19 comments:

jenny said...

Sorry to hear about your painful day. It was so good to talk to you! I hope you feel better soon. Maybe a fun FHE in the future this week for you guys?? Hang in there and big hugs from us :)

Emily said...

I'm so sorry you didn't get to go camping!
There's a great book called Surrendering to Motherhood. I need to re-read it but its premise is that we can never go back to these days when our children are young and needy, but we will have time for ourselves eventually.
As I was washing my gross sticky doorways today I thought, "Will I really miss these days like people say??" Honestly, I don't think I'll miss the food on the walls, but when I look at pictures of my kids even 3 years ago and see how fast time is going and how much bigger they are now, I just want time to SLOW DOWN.
I think we have to make a conscious choice to enjoy the meantime. Otherwise we won't, and then it will be over and we'll have all sorts of regrets.
How's that? ;)

Elizabeth said...

I hope today looks brighter for you.
Hopefully Seth will be better soon so you can get some last minute fun in!

Melissa said...

Lucy, I remember that stake event where you sang that song. You are so talented. I felt the song was somewhat cheesy at the time, but as I read over the lyrics again today, they are more poignant to me.

I hope your kids get feeling better and you transition to your new place. Moving is always hard.

Bekki said...

Lucy,

Sending big hugs your way- hoping today is brighter. Wish we lived closer.

Bekki

Anonymous said...

((HUG))

Kelly said...

Those are some pretty touching lyrics. Does it help to know you aren't alone feeling this way? I mean, someone wrote a whole song about it!

Hoping for some lighter days for you!

Tara said...

I'll cry with you. It has been a really tough two weeks at our house. For me, anyway.

Having a sick child just makes everything a bit harder. I had to volunteer all day yesterday at Cub Camp--ugh! It was POURING rain the entire time and to make matters worse, I had left Alyssa sick at a friend's house. She had a really rough night last night and is just not herself. I'm hoping that her illness doesn't put a damper on Caleb's birthday celebration.

I am so sorry to hear that Seth is still sick and that you had to miss out on the fun. I really feel for you!

Kari said...

(((((LUCY)))))) I'm sorry. Just know that the Lord still sees you and knows your sacrifices and he will bless you.

You're a great Mom and wife for doing all that you're doing. Whether you can see it or not, I see it.

Hang on.

andrea said...

I have total sympathy for your sick Seth. I can relate after my sick little girl last week. I wish I would have known that you were home alone last night. I would have given you a call. Jason was at scout camp with Eli and I was just passing time until they got home this morning.

I like the lyrics to the song. I definitely feel like I'm being refined in this stage of my life.

That's great that you have access to a mountain cabin. You'll have to make good use of it while you are in Utah.

Spokane misses you too! I hope we can see each other soon.

Give Seth a get better hug for us.

Placido Domingo said...

Okay, so here is what Lucy missed camping:

Chasing an 18 month old over and under and around a bridge over a nice stream of water. By nice, I mean just deep enough for him to get into trouble.

Pulling mud out of an Henry's mouth. Handfuls of mud. Twice.

Breaking up fights between three and four year olds over dump trucks and scoopers.

Fire dumping smoke and ashes into your face.

Bugs.

Lots of bugs.

Getting really hot while sleeping. No breeze.

Hearing little feet up and down all night.

"Mom I can't find my pillow!"

Chasing a squirrel around and around the cabin trying to get it outside.

Finding the squirrels nest in a back corner under a bed.

Watching a squirrel run over your 18 month old's head.

On the other hand, she did miss out on some fun games, great laughs and conversation.

Clark and Kelly, it could have been worse, but not by much.

chchoo said...

Hi. I was just lurking because I saw your profile pic on The Dentist's Wife's blog. That painting was in my grandfather's house and I have loved it as long as I can remember.
I hope things get better for you soon.

Barb said...

I am so sorry you missed out on a much needed dose of summer fun. Classic mom sacrifice to pack up all the stuff for the campers, but not get to go yourself.
Are all your kids back to school soon? Just Seth?

Lara said...

Hi Lucy.

Never heard that song before - but it has surely been sung by heart many times before. Thank you for sharing.

I miss seeing you driving around in your mini-van. I still look out for you at 37th and Havanna.

So sorry Seth isn't well. That always makes being a mom a little harder.

I'm going to blow back all the positive vibes you sent to me last week, and hope they can at least put a smile on your face!!!!!1 (if not a giggle and some spontaneous fun)

Take care!!!:-)

Rebecca said...

I love Jay's comment. It puts what "summer fun" is into perspective.

Devin and I drove by your old digs yesterday (duh, we drive by everyday), but yesterday we made the comment that we still look over as we drive by to see what the Johnson's are up to. And then a moment later we remember you are gone and we get a little sad.

We miss our fun neighbors and friends!

I'm sorry your summer has been a bummer so far. We had a rough summer last year, I can't remember why, oh yeah, my husband started his own business and was never home and we had no money. I just lowered my expectations this summer and we are having a grand old time! I hope you get more opportunities for fun soon.

Denise said...

And that is why sappy, annoying songs continue to be written, recorded, and bought. Sometimes they hit home.

I'm sorry, Lucy. I do think it will get better, but I'll be sending you happy vibes in the...yes, I'm going to say it...meantime. =)

Carolee said...

I feel like I can relate. The 2 months between my husband finishing med school and starting residency was a time we both looked forward to. We were going to spend time as a family, take a vacation, relax and not worry about anything. That was when he was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and all of those plans went down the tubes. At times I felt like "cant we ever get a break?" You know how busy both med school and residency are and our 1 time to take it easy was filled with worry, surgery, treatment and Dr's appointments. Obviously Heavenly Father had a different plan for us and I am learning about it more and more everyday.

[alisar] said...

I hope it's natural to feel that way - because frustration reveals its ugly head sometimes when I know I should be standing a little taller. I know you know what you need to do :) Just think, Heavenly Father doesn't test us further than we can handle. Be proud of how far you've come!

Kristin said...

Sorry about your fun weekend at the cabin! I would be mad too!! But what a wonderful mom you are to Seth. You are ALWAYS there when he needs you. That is some seriously good parenting. But I think you are totally justified in feeling let-down...no cabin, sick Seth, no movie, no food to eat later (I would've been VERY TICKED OFF), sister gone and in a new town, and school starting. YOU ARE JUSTIFIED!! But knowing you I'm sure you will be singing a different tune in a week or two and feeling back to your old self again.

P.S. Good lyrics!

Spokane misses you too!!