Monday, August 01, 2011

A Post In Which I Wax Philisophical About Something I Know Nothing About

I wish I enjoyed politics.  For something that seems so staged, slick and frivolous, the things they do and do not have serious implications for the rest of us.  My friend, Michelle, has gotten quite involved at the local level on the side of things she feels passionate about and I've noticed a feeling akin to envy when she speaks so eloquently on issues she's clearly studied. 

I'm sure my innate laziness which hounds me in all aspects of my life is the same thing holding me back from really jumping into the fray, but there's another slightly more noble reason.  I cannot decide which side is more right.  Or, for that matter, which side is more wrong. 

I am a moderate.  An independent.   One day, while still on our cruise, my sister Sarah and I were watching CNN in our room/stall while a panel of pundits discussed the "fairness" of the debt ceiling limit negotiations that Speaker of the House John Boehner supposedly walked out on.  The democrats were screaming foul by declaring their side had made so many concessions and this deal that President Obama had suggested was completely fair.  Even so-called moderates, the ones that are supposed to be representing me, said it was a shame that the talks had broken down because it was the best deal that had ever been on the table. 

I looked over at Sarah and said, "You know if the democrats think it's fair and a republican stormed out, that it wasn't at all fair.  The most "fair" deal will be when both sides are unhappy about what is passed." 

I know that is a simpleton's view of things but as I've read and watched the news today, everyone is lamenting about how horrible this current deal is.  Obama can't lead.  Tea Partiers are holding the nation as hostages.  Romney would never accept this plan. Democrats lose.  Republicans lose.  The middle class loses. America loses. 

This universal discontent makes me think that maybe, finally, the balance between cuts and social spending is where it needs to be...for now.  I don't actually know and I hate to trivialize something that is a really big deal.  Debt is a nasty master.  It holds our nation hostage.  It controls our foreign policy, controls our states and cities and even our individual families.  As a Dave Ramsier, I wish all of our leaders, liberals and conservatives alike, could see the wisdom in austerity.  That you can do more, be more generous, have a stronger national defense, plan for the future when freed from the bondage of debt.  

I have no idea if the drama in Washington will help our nation or hurt it.  But, as someone who considers herself a reasonable person, it makes sense to me that both sides are going to have to let go of the pipe dream, at least for the moment, and grab hold of an actual compromise. 

1 comment:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

It's a mess. A big mess. That's my philosophical view.