One of the joys of country living is the quiet it affords....to me, on a daily basis. I absolutely love it. Today, I sat still for about ten minutes near an open window and just listened to the sounds that surrounded me. Birds chirping. Leaves rustling. My boys playing somewhere.
Unfortunately, this sweet serenity also means that spontaneous play with friends is almost out of the question. Planning...scheduling....discussion among parents seems to be necessary for any kind of social gathering. In the last twenty-four hours, I have been told by three different parents that we "need to get our kids together to play!"
O.K. Is the ball in my court now? Because, here's a bit of important information, I am unlikely to organize these pow-wows of play. I swear I like children but I find I don't like playdates at my house. My own boys usually play extremely well together. Of course, they enjoy their school and church friends like any child would and should, but they don't need other children around to avoid fighting with each other or to create their own fun.
Some moms swear having other children around makes their days more productive. I don't see how this could be. When I have extra kids, I feel....burdened. Fixing snacks. Reminding which toys stay downstairs and which belong upstairs. Encouraging everyone to be outside. Promising the discontent that their moms will pick them up soon enough.
I realize this sounds horribly selfish and unfeeling and I admit it's not always this way. Some children are absolute delights to host. Still, there is not a single day when I wake up thinking the plan will be to call up friends and invite them over. I'm horrible.
What I think I mean with all of my defensive rationale is that if you think our kids should play, then invite them over! I have two messages on my answering machine from moms wanting me to call them back so we can get our kids together. Neither of the children are favorite playmates of my boys. Both of these moms are notorious for somehow getting me to offer my house for the playdate (I'm usually not going anywhere and they are) and the polite person inside of me knows I need to return these calls and play nice. But, I don't want to.
I'm not sure what my point is other than I have guilt and either wish I was a more social person for all the political correct reasons or more comfortable in my hermit-ness to not worry about what other moms think of me. Just getting more thoughts our of my head:)
Monday, August 01, 2011
I Guess I Don't Play Well With Others
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
I am so with you on this one. We've never been big "playdaters". Most of that is due to the fact that for some reason I always end up with some obnoxious kid at my house for about two extra hours than I want them to be here with no parents in sight. Eventually, they do stop asking. Not sure if that's a good thing or not, though.
You just don't live far enough in the country yet Lucy. Trust me on that one. Nothing wrong with good strong sibling bonds.
Amen Sister!! I, too, am not a lover of playdates.
We're the same way. All empty lots around us and its been so hard! In Logan, though I didn't love it, Evie could go outside and find 10 friends anywhere. I am hoping the neighborhood will build up fast now that the cost of land has plummetted, but we will see...
Good luck and you look great in your pregnancy picture!
Post a Comment