Thursday, August 04, 2011

The Activist Gene

As I drove to the hospital for my monthly OB appointment, I noticed much ado about something from afar.  When I got close enough to the fracas, I could clearly see a group of about 30-40 individuals (today the paper says 70 so either I or they are poor estimators) holding signs with several police cars nearby.  The group included men, women and more than you'd think of the twelve and under crowd holding signs against the evils of abortion, signs protesting a certain doctor with hospital privileges who performs abortions and all of the other ones you'd expect from this group about the sanctity of life, the rights of the unborn and the certain damnation of those who don't heed their warning.

As uncomfortable as I was, I still felt safe within the relative anonymity of my car.  This group of anti-abortion activists didn't single me out even though I was on my way to an appointment at the OB/GYN practice where this very doctor is one of several partners (who, I will admit, I don't schedule appointments with because of his very public support of world population control.  I just don't see how you can be in the business of doctoring women who are having babies while being against their baby's soon-to-be existence because the planet, in your opinion, is over populated.  I would rather pay someone to help in the delivery who is or can fake their happiness for my new bundle of joy).  It wasn't until I was making my way into the office and saw MORE uniformed police officers standing guard, just in case, that I became slightly worried and very annoyed.

My thoughts throughout the remainder of the day have frequently returned to my reaction to this small group of crusaders.  It's not just what they protesting against, or where they were doing it, although both of those things mattered today as I don't think anyone, including myself, should be harassed or bothered while seeking out any kind of medical treatment (Get out of my way!  I didn't drink that nasty orange glucose syrup for nothing!), it's that they were protesting period.  Is this really the best way to bring attention to your cause?

Looking back throughout history, I suppose the answer is often, "yes."  I think about the women who chained themselves to buildings to bring attention to the suffrage movement and how grateful I am for the right to vote.  I think about the non-violent actions of those involved in the fight for civil rights in the South and how the country needed to wake up from decades of injustice.  Time has shown that those were battles that needed to be won and it wasn't going to happen by everyone minding their own business.

Still, I wonder if I would have had the gumption to join in.  You see, my hours of introspection today have made me realize that I am not a comfortable activist.  The thought of trying to persuade or convince someone to believe what I believe or do what I do, based solely on the merits of my beliefs or actions being right - even if I could prove that they are - is repellent to me.   To do so seems not only presumptuous but also terribly self-important.  I'm of the camp that considers opinions and advice most effective when asked to give them.  And while that persuasion may protect me most of the time from the ridicule of the opposing view, it also limits my voice as well as my influence.

For the most part, I am fine with that.  I have realized that even if I passionately think Tupperware superior to Rubbermaid or circuit training more effective than jazzercize, I wouldn't be good at selling either.  Because that's what activists do - sell the world their point of view.  From what they think should or shouldn't be legal, the humanity of an animal's environment or the kind of food that's safe to eat, there is a driving force to convince others to think the same.  Some people seem to be born with that activist gene.  If they believe in something or know about something great or horrible, by golly, you're going to hear about it.  I've never felt that need or that duty to share.

The guilt comes when asked to be an activist.  It might be a stretch to compare my aversion to today's abortion protesters to the commandment to share the gospel, but my unwillingness to infringe on another's life philosophy is nearly as firm as my reluctance to use crappy toilet paper because it's better for the environment.  It seems as if I'm ashamed or embarrassed by my beliefs, but that is not the case.  I don't think there are many who have met me who don't quickly learn that I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  I believe it to be true.  I believe that everyone deserves the happiness and peace that comes from the knowledge of its truths.   But that hyperlink was an effort to include.  I'm counting on the fact that if you're reading this, you are, by default, asking me for my opinion:)

I think the best missionaries have that activist gene.  Even in the scriptures, some of the best missionaries were activists for the other side before they converted.  There is a passion and a fervor given to some.  Not me.

Sometimes, like today, when I think of the zealots who intimidate and harass outside of hospitals or clinics or, worse, funerals of soldiers, I am content to be the type who lets things be.

Other times, I wish I had that gene.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have "protested" on two occasions and to me they were more about showing support for a cause. They were peaceful. One was just about holding up signs and keeping our mouths shut, letting the number of us there and the posters do the talking for us. I have never understood those that yell at a passerby or show up at the doctors office to harass these poor women. It's hateful. I didn't think I was the public protesting type, that I lacked that gumption and self-righteousness quite frankly. But history shows, some injustices are worth "fighting" for.

I don't think it is a stretch to compare being an activist to being a missionary- are they not peaceful activists for your church? If someone came door to door with pro-choice pamphlets, or PETA stuff and wanted to share their message and knowledge, it would feel intrusive and self-important. And pushy, no?

Lucy said...

Yes. I totally believe that missionary work is intrusive and pushy. That's why it's so, so hard for me to do. But, like you pointed out, some things are worth "fighting" for and I consider it a flaw in my character that I'm not more willing to put aside my pride and fear to spread information about something I believe in. Even worse, I would be crushed if my boys didn't serve missions and I'm quite certain I've passed on my non-activist gene to them. Hypocritical?

I don't think activists are pushy, intrusive and self-important - they just come off that way to people like me who prefer to get my information at my own leisure and pace. As much as I insist that my hesitation doesn't stem from a lack of belief but rather a genetically embedded personality trait, I wonder. My kind are historically underwhelming.

Melanie said...

Good post! I have struggled with my inability to reach out and be a missionary. I've felt guilty through soooo many talks and lessons because I, too, lack the activist gene. I really, really want to leave people alone and let them have their opinions. Even though I have VERY strong opinions, and I'll gladly share if I'm asked! But that's not exactly what we've been commanded to do when it comes to missionary work, is it?

BTW, I have taken part in one peaceful anti-abortion march. I believe strongly in the cause, and I'm not ashamed, although I doubt I'll ever be involved like that again. I had a hard time with a lot of the signs people were carrying, and I would NEVER do such a thing outside of a clinic.

Anonymous said...

I think a lot of causes need the "quiet crusader". I am more receptive to shared views over lunch (or a blog!) than I would be to someone coming to my door, that's for sure.

"My kind are historically underwhelming." This is a phrase I will be laughing at for days. I just love you Lucy!

Natalie said...

I love it when I see that you've posted something new on your blog. You are such a great writer! You express my sentiments perfectly on this one...

Kelly said...

You put this into words so very well. I feel the same way. I can't stand the thought of being pushy, so I am sure I keep quiet at times when I should probably open my mouth to speak. It's hard to find a balance there for me.

I was tempted to protest only one time in my life. It was a time when several elderly ladies in my ward lived in a very well-kept, nice trailer park for retirement age people. The owner of the land had decided to sell it and evict the homeowners (who owned their homes, but not the land) with very little notice. To be 85 and have to come up with the money and a new place to move their house to seemed cruel and unusual. Several of them were ending up having to move into assisted living centers against their will. They staged a protest to no avail. It was heartbreaking, and made me mad enough that my passive ways were pushed aside. So, I wonder if I suffer from a lack of passion in other areas? I don't know. Either way, I really identified with this post.

Ether8 said...

Lucy, I understand where you're coming from. I think it's wonderful that you want to be sensitive to your fellow man's right to believe what he (or she) wants to believe. But when it comes to good versus evil, I strongly believe that we have a God-given responsibility to stand up--even publicly--for what is right and to decry evils that damage the lives of other people and damage our society (such as abortion.) It does take a lot of guts to stand up for something you believe in, and it's not a comfortable situation for those holding the signs, either. (I know! I've been there.) Public protesting isn't the only way to stand up for truth and righteousness, though. That's the beauty of it. God has given each of us individual gifts and we can each be instrumental, in some small way, to building up His kingdom and standing up for truth if we let Him show us how. And that takes courage, no matter what.

As far as missionary work goes, though, I think it is a little different, when done in the right spirit. I was a missionary, myself, in Berlin, Germany. I'm not an in-your-face kind of person. I have strong beliefs, for sure, but I found it hard to approach people in the beginning. What made the difference, though, was knowing that the things I had to share with them were of eternal significance, and that I was simply opening a door to them and not pushing them through it. God, himself, has given each of us the precious gift of agency and would never want us to rob others of that gift, even in the name of spreading the Gospel. His missionaries simply invite. I love that word. Invite.

Truthfully, though, I found it much easier to actively spread the Gospel or share my beliefs when I wore my name-tag and the mantle that went with it. As a now "civilian" missionary, I do go about sharing the gospel a little differently, although I secretly wish that weren't the case and that I could be more like the spiritual giants of our Church who take every possible opportunity to share the Gospel. Theirs are examples worth emulating.

Ether8 said...

Oops. I forgot I was signed in under my husband's account. This is Stephanie, Melanie's sister! :-)