Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sunday Thoughts - Called To Serve





I am the new Young Women's President.

Crazy, right?  I've never served in Young Women's.  I don't have daughters.  I don't have teenagers.  I have only been in the ward for four months and don't know the young women, or many other women in the ward, so even thinking about counselors was hard.  I didn't earn my Young Women's recognition award.  I struggle with the notion that homemaking is the highest, most noble profession to which a woman might aspire.  Teenagers scare me.

When the bishop extended this call to me two weeks ago, this resume of mine lodged in my brain and I had a hard time focusing.  All I felt was overwhelmed.  How am I supposed to know who to call as counselors?   Who am I, who slept in the guest room for three nights in a row because I don't know how to handle conflict with my spouse more effectively than giving him the silent treatment, to teach about the virtues of marriage (we have since patched things up and I'm feeling much more confident).   Where am I going to find the time and energy to do everything that needs to be done to magnify this calling when I already need down days if I have too much going on?

That was last week.

This week, I have felt a divinely given calm.  Names came.  Ideas came.  Priorities stood in a clear order.  As I've thought about the girls, I've realized that they are each unique and amazingly talented.  I'm looking forward to getting to know them better.  Mostly, I realized that while I may not be able to teach them how to make a cute skirt or handmade jewelry and I have absolutely zero vinyl lettering experience, those things, while lovely, are not essential.   What is essential is that these girls understand that they are daughters of God, important as individuals and as women, endowed with spiritual gifts that need to be developed and shared, beneficiaries of an infinite and eternal atonement that will allow them to return home to their Heavenly Father and entitled to receive continuing revelation, both personal and through restored priesthood keys.  And I can help them because I have a testimony of each of those things.

I have an excellent, excellent presidency that I'm excited to work with, a supportive husband and in-laws close by willing to help when Jay can't be around and even though I'm still nervous about all of my original doubts and worries, I trust that this is what I have been called to do at this time.   First up:  Priest/Laurel dinner on Wednesday night.  Wish me luck!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, you will be awesome, awesome in this calling! You are absolutely right that the spiritual support and nurturing you can give them is a million times more important than any crafts or cutesy activities, although of course those are fun, too. (And I know you know a former YWP who is INCREDIBLE; ask her if you ever need hints! I learned so much from serving with her!)

C.J. said...

I don't like to give or get advice about callings, but as I've been working with the Priests in our ward for the last few weeks, I've had a very strong recurring feeling about the approach I need to take with them. When I teach them, I need to teach them the things that I would want my sons to know. I have found that when I personalize my audience in that way, the message comes alive and I teach with a lot more conviction and I feel the promptings and words come more easily. I would say you can do the same things, with one minor change. Teach them the things that you want your sons' wives to know. When you get stuck for what/how to teach, look at your sisters, sisters-in-law, mother, mother-in-law as examples of who those young women need to become. You couldn't have any better examples than that.

Ok, spiritual soap-box dismounted.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

And a very good luck and "God bless, Lucy" to you!

This will be exciting.

Natalie said...

You will be fantastic, those girls are very lucky to have you... Have fun with the new calling!

[alisar] said...

My emotions reading this post ran the full range of smirky to sympathetic. I think everyone should have an opportunity to experience the terror that comes with a big responsibility, and the calm that comes from realizing you are only an instrument in the Lord's hand. Of course He will strengthen and guide you. Of course you will have days when you feel like throwing in the towel. I think you know that as YW President I actually asked to be released once, received a release, and then changed my mind. :) The Lord will be patient with you if you remember to rely on Him. As someone who loves to learn, you will absolutely love this calling because the hits just keep on comin'. Best of luck! Happy serving!

Denise said...

At last, this must be what all the deep thought was about? The girls will love you. You will love them. I'm excited for you! I also have never served in YW, and the thought of a calling in an organization I haven't been part of since I was 18 makes me nervous. I get it. But you are going to be amazing. Congratulations!

Lisa said...

I was called to be the YW president last May. I was TERRIFIED!!! It is one of the busiest callings with so many different activites and such going going. Having said that, I can honestly say it is my favorite calling so far! Some of it is that I love being with Emily but I just also love being with the other girls as well (drama and all, oh, and believe me you WILL have drama...!). Lucy, you will do great! Remember, delegate, delegate, delegate!!!

Tara said...

I've always thought that YW president is the busiest calling a woman in the church can have. It really is a lot of work. I've never had it myself but have spent almost all of my calling-holding years working with the youth. (I've literally taught every lesson in every manual at least once.) It's my absolute favorite place to be.

Good luck. You'll love it and you'll be great!

Kristin said...

Wow!! You will do fantastic. The girls will be lucky to have you...and you will come home every Wednesday night thankful you have boys!! :) J/K

Barb said...

You sound right on target.

Amy said...

Crazy? NO! I've read you long enough to know that you're amazing and this new calling doesn't surprise me at all.

Carolee said...

You will do great! They are lucky girls:)

andrea said...

I am so excited for you. The best callings are the ones that stretch you the most. You are going to love this calling (remember how much you loved the pioneer trek?) and be a breath of fresh air for those girls. I really love listening/reading talks by Sister Dalton. I like the direction she is going with the YW.

Christi said...

The most succussful YW presidents I have seen are the ones who get to know their girls. I mean really get to know them. From their favorite color to their deepest fear.
You will be great. I can't wait to read about what you do with this calling and give it that special Lucy touch.

amy gretchen said...

First of all I know you will be amazing at this calling and touch the lives of the girls and woman you are working with. All I can think is, this is perfect for you.

I love to hear you say the calm came and you knew what to do. It gives me courage to never be afraid to accept and know I am not alone.

A woman in our ward is in YW who has 5 boys and she is constantly telling me how they are "her girls". I'm sure it will feel like that for you. You'll love it.

jenny said...

So that's what you have been thinking about!!! That is so exciting. You will be AMAZING. I need to call you!!

Elizabeth said...

Lucky lucky girls in your ward!