Who is this girl?
The one who sent a friend request on Facebook?
When the notification came that so and so wanted to be friends with me, I figured it was one of those errant mistakes. Like, she mistook my Capital High for another. I figure there's got to be at least fifty high schools with that name, right?
For some reason (I like to think because I'm tender hearted and outright rejecting her offer seemed cruel), I neither accepted nor declined. Instead, I waited.
Sure enough, she is adding friends and they are people I know. People from high school. Today, I dug out the old Class of '93 Yearbook to see if I could find any mention of her.
None.
My guess is that she went to school with my class at some point but did not graduate with us.
In any case, I can't place her. I have no memories of this girl. Even more troubling, as I looked through the yearbook, was how many other students I shared hallway and classroom space for four years that look equally foreign.
I've noticed it before. How names escape me. In a conversation with someone awhile back, I could only remember two of my high school English teachers: one teaching my Freshman year and the other my Senior year (who I only remember because she was really, really bad. Horrible, really).
I can't remember the last names of most of my roommates at BYU. My sophomore year? I can't even remember their first names.
I can't remember the name of the building next to the testing center at BYU. The one where the artists hung out. It's been bugging me for weeks. That and the name of the Engineering Building.
I can't remember the names of some of the boys I dated before Jay. Even ones I kissed.
I can't remember the names of several of the women who I served with in Primary presidencies. Women who I spent a lot of time with and remember being pretty close to at the time. How's that for bonding?
It goes on, but it's embarrassing. What is wrong with me?
Do I not care enough to remember or is my memory that bad? Do I need to be doing more Sudoku or eating more fish? Taking Ginko Baloba? Is that its name? See? I can't even remember that.
I don't know how the people with 300-plus friends on Facebook do it. Keep track of them all, I mean. What is the point of having experiences or making friends if you can't remember them?
Blogging helps. I look back at posts and remember. But, as these September snippets have taught me, it's much more interesting to write about a part of your day instead of it whole. So, twenty-three and a half hours of each day might just become lost to me. At least now I'll be able to look back and remember the time that I realized I can't remember anything.
Poetic. Almost.
Monday, September 20, 2010
Memories....Escape the Corners of My Mind
Posted by
Lucy
at
4:47 PM
Labels: September Snippet
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
I think that's something else we have in common!
Amen.. ; )
Ha ha! That's funny. I'm with you though!
Great, now I can't remember my 9th grade english teacher's name. I know it was something....but can't recall. But I do have the 8th, 10th, 11th grade ones down. 3 out of 4 isn't bad, right? Right? :)
Just Saturday I was at a thrift store looking for a few books (with no makeup on) and the checker asked me few questions recognizing that we went to school together in the sixth grade.... in 1986! I mean seriously, she knew my name, it was in a different town, I only went there for 1/2 the year AND it was 24 years ago. Some people and their memories. But not me, I'm with you. Love your company.
Are you thinking of the Brimhall? Or maybe the Maeser, but that was mostly the Honors building.
Anyway, I know it sounds like a copout, but I seriously swear that motherhood stole my memory. The kids sucked bits of my brain out along with the placenta.
The Brimhall!!! Yes, that's it. And, oddly enough, after I wrote this post, I was doing some dinner grocery shopping at Walmart and just as I passed the Red Box container on my way out the engineering building's name came to me. The Clyde Building! It was a sweet moment for my brain and I literally felt a bit flushed with relief.
Oh, and Melanie, I think that person's memory is amazing. And a little bit creepy! I'd take it as a compliment that you are just that memorable:)
I blame it on age...or something. I used to be good at names and remembering details. Now I'm the person who introduces myself and ten minutes later have to ask what that person's name was. You're right, it's embarrassing. And in my job where I am dealing with familiess of my gymnasts it becomes downright unprofessional.
My family gets pretty frustrated with how little I can remember about my childhood. Anything with emotional ties is cemented pretty well in there but almost all the other stuff has been lost the jumble of my brain.
Lucy I have a feeling I know who you are talking about in regards to the facebook request. I still have no clue who she is and my yearbooks are in a box somewhere still waiting for me to unpack them.
You are still one of my smartest friends!
I'm not even going to try to remember my teacher's names from high school. It will just make me frustrated and concerned that I don't remember. But most of them didn't have a huge impact on my life (sad, but true) and the ones that did - I remember. Like Ms. Hewlitt who was my Humanities teacher senior year and whose class affected me deeply. It became a passion for me. The first day of class we had to memorize a quote from Hamlet for a quiz the next day. Years later when I ran into her at a grocery store with my two small children I could still recite the quote to her.
I never accept friend requests from people I don't know - I've had some from high school too that I seriously don't remember so I don't accept.
But thank you for accepting me. :)
Post a Comment