Like many Mormons, I enjoy a good Sunday roast. Something about putting it in the oven, leaving for three hours (or more) and coming home to a meal that's nearly ready is very appealing.
It took many years but I can finally say that I make a really great roast. It's pull apart tender, flavorful and, best of all, really, really easy. Here's how I do it:
First, I always buy a chuck roast. I used to buy a rump roast because it was a leaner and more aesthetically pleasing cut of meat, in my opinion, but a chuck roast, with the additional fat, is what makes it tender and keeps it from getting dry.
Three pounds is usually more than plenty for my family of five (and every single one of us likes our meat), with enough left overs to use for another meal, but I buy a larger roast if I'm having company, like we did today. Both Jay and I feel strongly that no guest should leave hungry, so we ensure a bit of gluttony by having lots of side dishes and large portion of main dishes. Today, I used a four and a half pound chuck roast for us and my sister-in-law, Patty and her two teenage children (plus, we made up a plate for her busy husband to eat when he finally gets home after all of his church business). We still had leftovers.
I start by pouring a couple of tablespoons of oil into a stock pot. When the oil is hot enough to get angry at a sprinkling of water, I lower the roast into the pan and salt and pepper the exposed raw side. After a minute or two, I use a large fork to turn the roast over to the other side and add some more salt and pepper to the now brown side.
Next, I throw in a bay leaf, chunks of red onion, carrots and sprinkle rosemary on top. I usually use the dry herb, but I think fresh would taste great too. It makes it really aromatic. Then, I sprinkle a little bit of minced onion and garlic powder and pour 1/2 C of red cooking wine on top of it all.
Before I put the lid on the stockpot, I let the cooking wine boil for a bit to reduce. After a minute of rapid boiling, I put the lid on and put it into a pre-heated to three hundred degrees for three hours. If you're going to be gone longer than three hours, like we were today, I turned the oven down to 285. My four and a half pound roast cooked for almost five hours at 285 and it was perfect. Tender, juicy and flavorful.
I should have taken a picture but I didn't know dinner was going to be the snippet of the day. So...use your imagination.
Here's the recipe when you just need a quick look.
3-4 lb chuck roast
1 red onion
3 C baby carrots
1 bay leaf
1-2 Tbs rosemary
1 Tbs minced onion
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 C red cooking wine
Brown chuck roast on both side with salt and pepper to taste. Add other ingredients and bring to a boil on stove top for one minute. Cover and cook at 300 for three hours.
Enjoy!
Sunday, September 12, 2010
The Perfect Pot Roast
Posted by
Lucy
at
7:24 PM
Labels: September Snippet
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
It's definitely a favorite. I love the rosemary with it! How did the gravy turn out?
I did the exact thing today for dinner. It is our Sunday tradition, accompanied by 10 pounds of mashed potatoes.
Thanks for the recipe and the step by step instructions. Clark loves a good meat meal and I really am an amateur in that dept.
I'm going to try it.
Should you ever decide NOT to become a professional book reviewer you could become a recipe writer. "When the oil is hot enough to get angry at a sprinkling of water" is the best recipe line I've ever read. And the most accurately described.
Yes, yes, fat makes the meat.
What were your side dishes?
Today our roast was heavy on the vegetable sides because the garden is still going strong: red potatoes, carrots, green beans, and corn on the cob.
What do you usually do with your roast leftovers?
Lucy - the plate you sent home with my family was wonderful! Thank you very much! vaughn
Yummy! We love roast at our house, too. Roast might be like chocolate chip cookies--everyone has their own favorite recipe. But yours sounds good enough that I just might have to abandon my regular routine and give yours a try!
Just stuck mine in the oven! I love a good roast but am not so skilled. You are going to change that!
And I'm with Jane, "angry oil and sprinkling water", best recipe ever!
yummy!
I just learned about fresh rosemary. Duh for me....thanks for the recipe I actually have a rump roast in the freezer and was wondering how I should prepare it. Voila little did I know it was a click away!
See...now I'm all nervous about your roasts not turning out! No..I've got to stand by my method. It really does work:)
Jane..nothing fancy. I made a big salad with lots of other veggies in it (cucumbers, red pepper, celery, carrots and onion) more carrots with dill seasoning and a huge old pot of mashed potatoes and gravy. We don't do rolls in our house, so we get all of our starch from potatoes:)
Let me know how it turns out, kelly!
I too love pot roast and it's always fun to hear other people's variations! I'll give yours a try next time!
Post a Comment