Without The Killers, Kelly Clarkston, or Taio Cruz jangling in my ears, or my Garmin watch on my wrist to keep me focused on what mile per hour I could maintain, I felt calm and spontaneous as I headed up the mountain. My nose filled with the pungent smell of pine needles and my ears smiled at the crunching of the rocks and twigs beneath my feet. My eyes kept focused on the uneven path ahead of me and my mouth was forced open to get my lungs the oxygen they needed from being in less than ideal shape.
After an hour and ten minutes of pushing my hips, legs and heart past the point of being comfortable, I reached the summit. My lips tasted salty with sweat and my tongue was cursing its owner for forgetting to bring water. Tired but satisfied, I cautiously lowered myself onto my bottom to enjoy the view of the San Juans.
Before I could get cool, I started back down. My back was wet from wearing my camera bag and my feet protested a little from being teased by a false finish. My steady downward stepping allowed my brain to wander from my calling, my friends, my goals, my house, my children, my priorities and what would eventually fill my stomach after eating lunch. I passed several other hikers who were ascending in their cool and breezy tank tops and shorts and wondered what possessed me to cover my arms with long sleeves and legs with fleece drawstring pants.
Nearing the bottom, I noticed my unnaturally swollen fingers and alternatively squeezed and opened my hands to reduce the pressure. By this time, the gum I had been chewing for almost two hours was tasteless and thick and my jaw ached from overuse. I spit it out aways off of the trail and felt the unpleasant thick slime on my teeth. While certainly not as hard on the cardiovascular system as going up, my knees and thighs were convinced that going downhill was every bit as hard. I had hiked six miles and my body was tired.
Monday, September 13, 2010
Body Parts
Posted by
Lucy
at
6:08 PM
Labels: September Snippet
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
So jealous right now! Looks and sounds amazing. Wish I was with you.
Lucy, you are my hero!! Loved this post. And it sounds like you loved your hike. The pictures are beautiful!
I can not believe that is your backyard. Such beauty!
I'm proud of you! Did you know you were my inspiration to start jogging again after a 20 year hiatus? You did. I added a couple of miles of jogging to my walking and am very glad I did. Thanks for continuing to inspire me.
Awesome!! :)
That is wonderful!!! We do about 4 miles around the neighborhood here - you've got a bit more green over there~ wish we could hike it together!
you rock!
Absolutely gorgeous. Way to go Lucy! You definitely inspire me, thank you.
Good for you!!! So fun! I love how descriptive you are about your adventure! I felt like I was on the hike with you!
That is so awesome Lucy! I only wish my exercise views were close to as beautiful as yours!!
Post a Comment