Friday, May 08, 2009

Music and Memories

It was an ordinary day, months ago, when the thought pressed into me, "This is my children's childhood."

I've had the thought before, but looking back, it was always before my boys were really old enough to remember: Seth as a three year-old and Sam as an infant at a Kindermusik class, picking peaches at a U-pick farm, waiting in lines at Elitch Garden Amusement park in Denver. Moments I recognized as great memories with my children but ones that, most likely, I'll hold onto alone. Unless you're my dad, most people just don't remember life at one, three or even five years old. Glimpses, perhaps, but not the material you use to describe your childhood to your best friend in college or boyfriend - the ones who didn't know you when.

I was standing in the kitchen, fixing dinner, talking Seth through his spelling homework while the sound of Sam practicing the piano filled the background. That's when it hit me - that this was the sound of my past...my childhood. With six children who all took piano lessons, and with a piano situated prominently in the front room, next to the kitchen and front door, there weren't many after-school moments that didn't include the Baldwin piano being played. Someone might have been doing homework, or reading a book, or setting the table (I'd love to include "help making dinner" in my list, but that wasn't something we did - so sorry, Mom) but each of those tasks was usually done with piano accompaniment. School-piano-church: those were my family's normal, everyday things.

While it's true that Seth and Sam have only just started with piano lessons, and there is a whole lot of childhood left to fill, I can't help but hope that the moment I described is one that sticks. I want their pasts to be filled with good memories - simple memories - of someone at the table doing homework, another at the piano practicing, and another playing/cleaning/chatting with me in the middle of it all, directing. Oh, I anticipate there will be other great stuff too. I want our lives to be filled with great trips, meaningful service, sports, scouts, and maybe even farm animals. But, I really, really hope the piano threads through it all. I think I want it because it was my thing, just like Jay probably hopes for runners. Gymnasts probably want gymnasts, ranchers probably want little 4-Hers, and lake people probably want water skiers. We want our own best experiences for our children.

It's not hard to imagine my delight during Seth and Sam's first piano recital this past Sunday. As soon as their teacher approached me about the possibility, I eagerly encouraged her. Yes! I want my boys to perform in a recital. I want them to learn how to polish a song and I want them to learn how to perform in front of a group and I want them to develop grace under pressure. I couldn't have been more pleased with the results. The songs they came home with three weeks ago were harder than anything they had played before, but they learned them and eventually loved them, in spite of the initial frustration that comes with a challenge. They both peaked during the recital - never having played their music as well before, or since. I was so proud. Mama proud.

At the nursing home where their recital was held. I didn't take any still photos while they were playing so I made them sit at the piano afterward and show me their "form".



Sadly, I bungled the videotaping and none of their performances managed to come out unscathed. So, frustrating, but I hope there are lots and lots of next times. I did go to their lesson the following day and tried to capture a recording then, but the mood wasn't right and the result does not show off their accomplishment. Still, it'll give you a taste of how much they have learned in four months.

Seth playing "My Red Racer" - a duet with his teacher.



Sam playing "Downhill Racer" today - because the video I took at piano lessons was kind of a melt-down disaster.



Seth playing "Creepy, Crawly Things" with Sam singing the lyrics.

9 comments:

Mom said...

How fun to hear them play! And I"m so glad you have good memories of music, etc. at home. Sorry I didn't include cooking or sewing instruction, but have faith that you can manage anything you want to or have to!

C.J. said...

I often think back to the great opportunities my mom gave me to learn new things and excel, and how often I threw them away. Piano was one of those things. There were several others, but every time I've been in a Priesthood meeting without a piano player I've regretted not following through with my mom's gifts. Maybe it's not too late.

Stephanie said...

Sammy singing along is the best!
They have made a lot of progress quickly. Way to go boys!

Jen Childers said...

Oh yes...childhood memories flooded with the sounds of piano. I loved all the videos of the kids. They are doing so well. Thanks for sharing!

Amy Sorensen said...

Lucy, this is a really, really, really excellent post. I will be thinking about it all morning. Not so much the piano part (we didn't have one when I was a kid, and I haven't been able to swing one yet for my kids), but the concept of what a childhood feels like. I think the trips and other "great moments" are of course valuable, but it IS the everyday moments that make us who we are.

I need to work harder on the everyday moments.

Thanks for a great post today!

Kelly said...

I totally agree with you in wanting my kids to remember everyday life and having it make them feel good. Their piano playing is awesome!! I'm very proud of them.

donna said...

What talented boys you have. Thanks for sharing that with us.
Your days sounds a-lot like my days. Cooking in the kitchen, helping kids with homework and hearing piano music in the background.

Kelly said...

I loved hearing your boys play. They haven't been playing that long -- they are really impressive! I think my favorite part, though, was Sam's coaxed bow. So cute!

I loved your thoughts on this. Sometimes it makes me feel a little pressured when I think "This is their childhood." But, it's a good reminder for me when I know I've been slacking a bit. There will definitely be piano in the background of my girls' childhood memories, and I like that.

Tara said...

I've had the very same thoughts about my kid's childhoods. I always wonder what they're going to remember and especially what they'll remember of me as their mom.

Your boys are doing great with piano! I've always thought that piano was one of those great talents that can be used a whole lifetime through. It's one I've always wished I had.

Honestly, I didn't desire to have a gymnast. In fact, I baulked when I was first approached with the idea of competitive gymnastics for my daughter. But I do have to admit that now that she is doing so well, I'm having a ball watching her grow in her talent.