I keep hoping for words to come to me, but I'm dry. I sat down to write a book review and kept typing the first sentence about eight different ways until I clicked to another website, disgusted. I don't know if I don't feel like writing, or don't have anything to say, but in the meantime, here's how we spent our first weekend of summer vacation.
First breakfast of the summer and I went all out with three different kinds of cold cereal.
Yesterday, I thought the novelty of "no school" would be enough to keep the boys happy. I didn't think boredom would set in so quickly, but at about 1:00, Seth came upstairs after playing the Wii and said, "Are we going to do anything fun this summer?" I promised we would but suggested that today we could just relax and unwind. Sensing his dissatisfaction, I asked, "Do you wish you were in school?" and do you know what he said? He said, "Yes." Yes! Thankfully, Jay was off and took the boys to the library to get some books from their summer reading list and I went and got myself a pedicure.
I'm bummed because I already chipped the paint off my big toe when I cleaned the floors yesterday. I should have worn socks. Speaking of socks, my little heel-fixing-toe-less socks have worked wonders. I still have cracks, but no longer crevasses, and I'm happy to report that the person giving me a pedicure not only didn't say anything BUT didn't even have use the blade!
Miracle of miracles, I had a babysitter for the evening so that Jay and I could go to the Star Trek movie. Like most babysitters I hire, this 13 year-old was a bit uncommunicative, so I can only guess that everything went well with the boys, but Jay and I had a great time. The movie is really entertaining and really funny at parts. Jay and I are good at spending our evening hours together when we can, but it's different when you leave the house. I liked it.
Today, we woke up early and took the boys to watch the annual bike race against the train. Neither Jay nor I have any desire to ever compete in the event, but it's fun to see the bikers working their way up the mountain. Seth is a natural cheerleader and clapped for every biker. Jay had two of his co-workers he wanted to cheer on, but those bikes pass by pretty quickly and we didn't see either of them.
Everyone watching except Henry who, as usual, likes to do his own thing.
The peloton. Or group of bikers for those not in the know. Apparently, they like to ride really close together to reduce drag. I can't even walk that close to someone without smacking wrists with the person next to me. I can imagine the kind of tangled mess of spokes and wheels I'd make riding a bike that close to other people.
This afternoon, the whole family went to see Night at the Museum 2. I thought there were some very funny parts, particularly when the night guards were going at it with the no-touching (who was that actor playing opposite of Ben Stiller? Funny, funny, funny.) Henry was wiggly and I felt tired after the movie was over, but at least Seth wasn't telling me how bored he was. No...wait. He did later when I told him he couldn't play the Wii. Serenity now!
I don't know why I wasn't looking at the camera, since I was the one with the camera and knew when I pushed the button, but that flash is bright in a darkened theater so I only took the one shot. Since we go to the movies so rarely, we justified spending our kids college education fund on theater treats.
Now we're heading to Denver for our annual Boulder Bolder run. I'm secretly dreading it (I guess the secret is out) but this is Jay's thing. He loves this race. He loves this tradition. I love him. I walk/jog 6.2 miles among 50,000 other people because of that.
Saturday, May 23, 2009
And So It Begins....
Posted by
Lucy
at
9:41 PM
Labels: Summer Vacation
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
I am jealous your boys are out of school and that summer vacation has begun!! But...from your pictures it looks a little chilly. Have fun running the Boulder Bolder.
I had my 6 week check on Friday and was given the clear to exercise again and last night Tyler, Bryn and I did the "challenging" trek around Ben Burr Park...5 times kicked my out of shape behind. So I am impressed with your doing the Boulder run. Go Lucy!!
Looks like a fun start to your summer vacation! The kids were out of school on Friday and there will definitely be some adjusting to do when summer gets here. Good luck with the Boulder Bolder fun...and have fun!
I had the sweetest chat with Sam at church. He came up to me and showed me his teeth-that is too funny-boys are crazy! I hope you have a fun run in Boulder!
LOL! I have ALWAYS thought that about bike races! There's not a lot of room for error. One tire wobble (of which there would be many if I were riding) and we'd all go down like lethal dominoes.
And hehe about the movie, because a)I always insist on extending our mortgage so we can buy popcorn, b)I sneak in candy and water bottles, and c)I'm guessing everyone around you had little dots in front of their eyes for awhile after the flash, and they secretly hate you. hee!
Good job coming up with so many fun things on your first weekend out. Your breakfast table even had flowers!
The race sounds like fun to me, hope you have a good time.
I also took Emily , Jakob and Ian to see Night at the Museum 2. I will have to google the GUARDS name!
Enjoy the Boulder Bolder run!
Our summer begins next Wednesday and I am already sensing my kids getting bored fast.
hope the run went well. My girlfriends family does that every year. Perhaps we may do it next year!
oops that was me--Jenny :)
I'm a little afraid of the summer too. I'm trying to prepare myself a "I'm bored" list so when they say it I can just hand it over. I want to do out-of-the-house things with them, but I am not a believer that you have to entertain them.
I need the heel fixing toe socks too? My cracks are bad.
I could never be a biker, riding that close would make me panic. Cool shot.
Post a Comment