Friday, May 01, 2009

Book/Audio Review #56 - These Is My Words


Way back in the day, before I had ever joined a book group, before the world knew about blogging and before I began keeping track of the books with reviews, I read a book I loved called These Is My Words. I know I loved it all those years ago, and have told countless friends and acquaintances to read it based on that memory of loving it but, if you want to know the truth, the details about the story have become...err....a bit sketchy.

Oh, I remembered that it involved pioneers and a romance and a woman whose English skills improved with time, but beyond that, I was as clueless as the person who has never read it. Time and a poor long-term memory will do that.

Following spring break, I went to the library to pick up some holds that had become available. As I looked at the titles, I realized that at some point, I must have looked at a list of recent Pulitzer or Booker prize winners and nominees because each of them had some kind of acknowledgment on their cover. I sighed at the prospect of only having these options in the forthcoming weeks. Nothing against prize winning literature, but they tend to lean towards the heavier side of life. And I needed a break from heavy.

With books in my arms, I decided to browse through the shelves of fiction, hoping I might find something on the lighter side as a diversion. As I came to the "T"s, I noticed the book Sarah's Quilt, which is a sequel to These Is My Words.

At that moment, the only book I wanted to read was These Is My Words. Of course, the library didn't have a copy available, but the audio book version was on its shelf. 12 CDs and I left that library together.

I imagined listening to the story in my minivan as I drove around from errand to errand, but was quickly reminded that although the story is "clean" it isn't really for young children. There are descriptions of some rather brutal happenings as Sarah Agnes Prine and her family trek from Texas to the Arizona frontier to become homesteaders. Indian skirmishes, dying children and men taking advantage of scared young girls kept my listening a private affair.

I imagine most people who regularly listen to audio books have some kind of system that allows them to upload them to an ipod or something similar. My little ipod shuffle doesn't have that kind of memory, so I was forced to either play the CDs through my computer or listen to them on the portable DVD player we bought for our kids to use on trips. Again, I disliked the exposure of the computer speakers and after one disc, exclusively used the unwieldy DVD player.

Portable or not, holding onto something the size of a large book doesn't lend itself well to getting much done. On day one, I reserved my listening to lying in bed before I went to sleep. But, as anyone who has ever read/listened to These Is My Words before, it wasn't long before it consumed my thoughts and I couldn't help but put the next disc in....and then the one after that.

I did manage to iron a few things during one CD, but it was awkward. the cord of my headphones wasn't very long, and I found myself crouching next to the ironing board with my head bent in order to listen. In addition, if I was ironing a pair of pants and needed the entire board, I had to rig the DVD player underneath my armpit, and after a few times of the machine falling to the ground and pulling my neck with it, I gave up ironing:)

Oh...I loved this book! The reasons why came flooding back into my thoughts. I love Sarah and her no-nonsense strength. I loved her honesty, as a daughter, as a sister and especially later as a wife. I love how she mothers. I love how she tolerates her circumstances, celebrates her victories and mourns her trials. I just loved her.

Throw in Captain Jack Elliot and one of the greatest love stories in literature and you've got yourself the makings of a great book. No wonder I remember liking it so well.

The audio version had its advantages and disadvantages. I liked the narrator. She had a drawl that influenced my speech and thoughts for days afterward. I found myself using the phrase, "Fit to be tied" when I became frustrated. I may have even said it out loud once. And I'm still hoping my mother-in-law didn't notice too much when I over-enunciated my "r"s. I caught myself before it became too big a problem.

The one minus was that she also narrated for Captain Jack. I don't care how great a voice you have, a woman's voice lowered to sound like a man's still sounds like a woman's voice. Every time she spoke Jack's lines, I thought, "Nope...still you."

I am so glad I reconnected with this book. As soon as I finished, I ordered a copy off of Amazon.com, just so that I could have it handy whenever the mood strikes again. While certainly not "light" and definitely not "fluffy", I enjoyed Sarah's Prine's story of life in the Arizona territories during the end of the 19th century. If you're one of the few who haven't read it yet, I highly recommend the experience.

14 comments:

Kelly said...

I haven't read it but another one of my friends just did and liked so I think I'll add it to my list. I feel that way There eyes were watching God. I remember loving it, but I only remember some part about rabies. I'll have to read that again. I was laughing at the thought of you using a dvd player. How awkward. How in the world did we ever listen to those and love them! How did we survive without ipods!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Yes...yes...I agree. These Is My Words is a great re-read.

There is one part that I thought, "NO WAY!" When the page of the book blew in front of her, remember that? I was thinking about that one day while driving when out of the blue, a page came blowing through the wind up over our windshield. It made me love the book all over again. And I'll never know what that page was.

I, too, have a dilemma with audio books, and sympathized with your reading entanglements.

Lucy said...

I loved that part. It's interesting, I first read this in my early youthful 20s, with one toddler and that early part of the book...the falling in love and the growing up, really resonated with me. Now, two additional kids and seven years of marriage later, the middle part - the hard part - the part where you almost long for the discovery and less distracted time is what resonated.

I think a page flying up onto my windshield would make me think of the book too. How romantic to think it could be your tie with something or someone:)

Kelly said...

I'm glad you blogged about this. I loved hearing you tell it in person, and I laughed just as hard again when I read the line, "Nope, still you."

This made me want to re-read the book, and I'm not much of a re-reader, especially since I only read it for the first time last fall. It's a great one, though.

Jen Childers said...

I picked this up not long ago, because like you I read it and wanted to own it. A great read. Have you read the sequel?

Lucy said...

I haven't read either of them, partly because I have heard that neither of them are as good as the original and also because I think her ending was perfect. I love the entire last paragraph. I don't really want Sarah's life to continue past this point:) Ah...the beauty of fiction.

Amy Sorensen said...

Hanging my head because I'm one of the 3 people in the world who've not read this. But I want to!

Here's how I get around the audio book issue: I copy the CDs onto my MP3 player, and then I delete them as I listen. WAY easier than lugging around the enormous CD player we own!

melanie said...

You ironing attached to your dvd player made me laugh. I'm so glad you gave up ironing instead of the book. Ironing is my least favorite job, it would never outweigh a book.

This book and Mrs. Mike (thanks goes to you for the recommendation) are my favorites books of the last year or so. I can't remember exaclty when I read them. I do like the first book best but books 2-3 are definitely good enough to read. I wasn't disappointed or bored.

Amber said...

I recently read this for book club and LOVED it. What a great story!

Molly Jae said...

I'm glad to hear your opinion, we've considered reading it for book club. Right now we're reading Gone With the Wind. I've never read it and am excited to read and compare to the movie.

Lisa said...

I agree!! I think I have read it twice and maybe I will have to pick it up again soon. So good!

jenny said...

Sadly I own this book and Sarah's quilt. I tried and tried to reread the introduction and couldn't grasp it. Perhaps I should try again and it actually is quite helpful to have your "cliff notes" now. :)

Smelly Moose said...

I LOVED this book too! Maybe I should re-read it!

Natalie said...

I've read this book and really liked it, too! I also read the two sequels - Sarah's Quilt and The Star Garden (though I can't remember which one comes first of the two)... It was fun to follow her entire story ~