Friday, April 25, 2008

Strabismus and Ambloypia - Take Two

Six weeks ago, Jay was upstairs getting Henry ready for bed when he called out for me to come see something. Lying there, looking up at Jay, Henry's left eye kept rolling in and crossing - unable to focus on Jay from that distance.

Sadly, I had noticed this little crossing of his eye a few times previously, but had dismissed it as something I was hypersensitive about. I told myself that, sometimes, kids eyes do cross and I shouldn't freak out about it. After all, the crossing was minor and happened only rarely.

Looking at him on that changing table, however, I knew that I could no longer deny that Henry's vision wasn't o.k. I made the call to the pediatric ophthalmologist the next day.

At first, those who saw him often couldn't tell. But gradually, they noticed his left eye turning in as well and all that was left to do was to wait and see what the diagnosis and treatment would be. Would Henry need patching, like Sam did? How in the world would that kid keep a pair of glasses on?

Last Monday, Henry had his appointment and the doctor diagnosed him with Stabismus and Ambloypia very quickly. I'm sure having an older brother in glasses made it that much easier for him and I admit that this time, I don't feel as distraught as I did with Sam's diagnosis. It was so hard for me with Sammy. I mourned his cute little three year old face, his lens-free brown eyes and worried about teasing and taunting from his peers.

I suppose everything is easier the second time around. I feel very matter-of-fact about this. Henry will wear glasses. He'll see better. He'll be fine.

We picked up his glasses this morning and it's already been quite the challenge keeping them on his face. He can't understand why I don't think it's a game and cries when I tell him to "leave them alone." I think I'll just have to stick close to him today and maybe after today, or soon thereafter, he'll adjust and forget about them. I hope so.

They do make his eyes appear huge. He looks strange to me right now, but I know it's only a matter of time when he'll appear strange without them. Just like Sammy.



28 comments:

Jen Childers said...

Oh my gosh...I didn't think he could get any cuter. I absolutely love that picture! He is adorable with those glasses on. Yes, now the trick will be to get him to keep them on. Good luck!

Melanie said...

I think Henry looks adorable! His eyes are so pretty, it's not a bad thing for them to look bigger.

Kelly said...

That is so cute! He looks like a little man. I can't imagine how much patience it is taking teaching him to wear them. You go girl! He's adorable though.

Lisa said...

I could just eat him up!! He looks so cute! I hope he adjusts to them soon.

Tara said...

I'm glad to hear the update. He really looks darling! I hope he gets used to the them quickly.

Annie said...

He. Is. So. Cute.

Denise said...

Yeah, my son wasn't too keen on them at first when he got his first glasses at 2 yrs old, and he even hid them from us, which really ticked me off! But it didn't take very long before he figured out he could see a lot better with them on, and he's done great with them ever since. I happen to think kids in glasses are adorable, but I know what you mean. That pictures is so cute, though, I don't think you have much to mourn!

Unknown said...

beautiful boy!!

oh, i remember getting my glasses - i was older, third grade. but i still remember getting weepy and telling my dad and the optometrist that i just had a stomach ache.

now, i wonder how my dad felt when he heard the diagnosis?

jenny said...

I am glad you guys caught it so early. He does look pretty stinkin' cute. His big brown handsome eyes are now just more prominent! Good to talk to you today :)

andrea said...

Oh my gosh! Seriously that boy is so cute. Those glasses are adorable. It's so interesting how things are always easier the 2nd time around. Looks like Seth is the lone man out without glasses.

Smelly Moose said...

MaryAnn went to the eye doctor today (remember she has strabismus too??)--and the dr. told me she has ambliopia in her right eye, so we are going to be doing the patching now too. Good times. I'm also noticing one of Sara's eyes slightly crossing too, but I'm HOPING I'm just imagining things because no one else seems to see it, so maybe I'm just making it up. I should probably get it checked though. Henry's looks so cute in glasses :) Take care!

melanie said...

Oh my! Henry is so adorable. That face. That smile. Those eyes. No wonder he gets into so much. He melts hearts, ha!

Anonymous said...

That picture is priceless! He has beautiful eyes- so glad he can now see better!

BAK said...

Henry looks really cute with his new specks. And yay, he can see better too. Good things on both counts. ;)

carlo said...

he is just so darn adorable...and that smile??

the second time around is easier. i am finding this to be true with ellie's serious separation anxiety that we have been dealing with for about a month. it is terrible but i know she will get through it and so will i. (so strange at 5.5 yrs but so real)

Barb said...

Parents do seem to be the first line in health care. Nice diagnosis, mom and dad. I'm glad the doctor quickly concurred and Henry is on his way.
(second time around is easier in every way, especially parenting - absolutely)

{krista} said...

Oh, he looks so handsome!!!

KariAnn said...

He's the cutest little dude in glasses! I can't believe those big blue? eyes. Does it help to know that everything worked out with Sammy's eyes?

j said...

hi lucy- thank you for letting me read your blog! :) i think he is adorable with his glasses- he has amazing eyes!!! wow!

Kasandra said...

Thanks for sharing Lucy! My husband is an optometrist so he deals with kids vision a lot (since we have 5 of our own he's had lots of practice!). I know he would say thank goodness you caught it so early, makes all the difference in the world when they start school.
Believe or not, we had a note sent home asking us to have Vanessa's eyes checked because she seemed to have trouble seeing, LOL.......we have 2 in glasses but they didn't need them until later on.
Good luck with your Henry!
from Kasandra

Amy said...

he COULD NOT be cuter.
seriously.

Kristin said...

He is SERIOUSLY adorable!! Glad he was able to get diagnosed and now he will be able to see better. Thanks to Harry Potter glasses are in!! ;)

CONGRATULATIONS on your win for your book review!! You are the best reviewer and you deserve recognition and reward!!

I LOVED your post about how you read so many books. One of my all-time favorite posts!!

Unknown said...

Seriously, unbelievably cute.

Same diagnosis my S got when he was 5. I have come to love the little glasses face!

I wonder if he will calm down any, now that he is a little better able to process the world around him?

One can hope!

Jill said...

He looks darling in his glasses. What a blessing to be able to get this taken care of at such a young age. I see lots of little kids in glasses and think they look very cute.

amy gretchen said...

I've definitely been through this. I guess I'm lucky Bella was old enough to keep them on. I hope he's doing better now leaving them alone.

He looks so cute in glasses. Adorable photo.

Anonymous said...

Oh! He is SO flamin' cute in those specs Lucy! LOLOL!! Love him. :)

Jill said...

Wow what a sweetheart, he looks so much older and sophisticated, if a child can even look sophisticated! I just want to pinch his little cheeks!

Anonymous said...

So cute Lucy! I love the glasses and don't you worry about the teasing...he looks Fierce!