I just got an email telling me I won the Good Read's April Good Review's contest in the category of Fiction for my review of A Thousand Splendid Suns. I didn't even know there was a contest! In fact, I just wrote that review for my blog and then cut and pasted it into GoodReads. The whole first two paragraphs about how I bought the book in Taiwan and didn't feel like reading it and yada, yada, yada seem so....superfluous. I feel a little like I just got caught on Candid Camera and, thankfully, didn't do anything really embarrassing. I mean, it's totally flattering. I am flattered. But...now...I mean...now...I know the camera may be on and I feel a bit like I should look the part of a book reviewer. You know...not write book reviews in my pajamas. I at least need a pencil behind my ear.
I thought this was funny considering what my last post was about. Add "may unknowingly win an award on the world wide web" to my commercial about writing book reviews.
They gave me $20 at Amazon.com.
Dream big, people, dream big.
Thursday, April 24, 2008
Smile!
Posted by
Lucy
at
7:19 AM
Labels: About Me, Book Review
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


22 comments:
Congratulations! That is very cool.
This is awesome. I can't think of anyone more deserving since your reviews do rock! Now, how do you narrow down what to spend that $20 on?
Congratulations !!! :-)
Congrats! I'm not at all surprised that you won. Your reviews are always very well written, and I think you deserve the recognition!
Yeah. Good job! You may just have a future in this:)
Big congrats, Lucy!!!!! That is awesome.
Congrats! Really, I'm so proud. I felt so cool when I got that email thinking, I know her! I love your reviews. Since you do such a good job in your pajamas, stick with it! :)
Good for you! Just the recognition should make you feel proud but a monetary prize as well makes the winning all the sweeter. What a great surprise.
wahoo!!
Congrats! Of course I'm not surprised in the least. Didn't I just tell you how awesome your reviews were. Well deserved.
Cool award. What will you get, I wonder?
Good for you. I always find your reviews entertaining, insightful and well-written so of course it is no surprise to me that you would win.
See just look at the perks to reading. That is awesome Lu!
And to think I knew you when...
wtg!!
Great Job Lucy! Reminds me of our time together in the 5th grade when we wanted to break Mrs. Trevor's class record for most books read in a year.
To think, Lisa, that all my fake reviews back in the day got me to where I am now;). Hey...you're not trying to create a scandal, are you? I cannot claim a perfect past. I can only say that I'm on the straight and narrow now.
What were we thinking? I can't imagine, now as an adult, what we thought we were getting away with. Too funny. And all for a candy bar...although they got decidedly smaller with each review:)
Cash for it? Awesome! Can't wait until you are famous and I can say I knew you when.
Well, that is so awesome!!! I love your reviews! I often use your reviews in my book club. I think your writing style is great and I can always count on your opinions. Congratulations!!
Fantastic! I have to admit I deleted that goodreads email before reading it - tho wouldn't have guess that the Lucy was the Lucy I knew! So I'm glad you talked about it so i could fish it out of my deleted file.
I also read quite a bit - but can't be bothered to write reviews, I'm not very good at summarizing - so I'm in awe of those who can do it, get the point across and yet not give away the big points. You are awesome!
Congrats - it's even better than finding $20 in your coat pocket!
Congrats Lucy! You deserve it. I think a good review should tell something about the reviewer, too. I think it just adds something personal and down-to-earth to it.
A writer's group friend of mine has been encouraging me to try goodreads, but I haven't wanted to put the time in (don't feel like I have any extra at the moment, what with trying to get a solid night's sleep and all). Do you enjoy it or is it too time-consuming?
I just spent $20 on Amazon today, buying two books for my reluctant reader's birthday. He'll be thrilled, even though they are books. Watch out, they only seem to want big things once they hit pre-teen status!
Congrats on your big and unknowing win, that's pretty cool!
Darn, you already have to 20th comment to go with your $20. So this is different than those blog awards, no chain letter here! Congrats.
That is so cool! I don't write comments on goodreads, because I'm not much of a book reviewer... not even on my blog...
Post a Comment