1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Definitely wrapping paper. With ribbon. For some reason, I really dislike naked wrapping paper. It needs some strings, and curls and sparkles.
2. Real tree or artificial? Always real. But, I do admit that the artificial trees are looking better than when I first disavowed them. And I hate the mess of real trees after a couple of weeks. Who knows what the future holds?
3. When do you put up the tree? Usually by the second weekend in December. I think one year we did it the first weekend, but the tree was so dead by Christmas that I had to take it down the day after Christmas...which I'm not emotionally ready to do yet.
4. When do you take the tree down? Ah...did you enjoy the foreshadowing on my previous answer? I like New Year's Day.
5. Hot chocolate or apple cider? Hot Chocolate, most of the time. But, if the choice was between Hot Chocolate or Wassail...with all of the orange, lemon, pineapple, cinnamon, cloves and sugar simmering for a couple of hours...I'd jump ship. Unless the Hot Chocolate was a really good peppermint flavor. Oh...the decisions!
6. Favorite gift received as a child? Ski lessons the Christmas I was in seventh grade. It made all the rest of the winters better.
7. Do you have a nativity scene? I have a great one now! A beautiful glass nativity hand made from Myanmar. And the big, glitzy Costco one. My mom gave it to me. Now...there's a lady with a few nativities...
8. Hardest person to buy for? Hands down my dad. He usually requests something like all of his children to be happy and to a Christlike life. And, unfortunately, only one of us can be the one to give him the latest church book.
9. Easiest person to buy for? Probably Jay. I love shopping for him. It makes me giddy. Except for this year...I'm still drawing a blank.
10. Worst Christmas gift ever received? Thank goodness the question was about receiving. The list of worst gifts ever given would have gone on and on and on and on about the gigantic hershey kiss I got my brother, or the glass piano I picked up at Drug Fair (think Walgreens) for my sister. But, the thing that embarrassed me the most was probably some frilly underwear from my aunt. Like when I was eight. I'm actually really easy. I like most things.
11. Mail or email Christmas card? Mail. I can email any old time. But the mail...well...it takes something special.
12. Favorite Christmas movie? Honestly, my favorite one is the short, music only video done by the church called the Nativity. I just love how it captures the reverence and joy of the moment.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Hopefully sometime soon.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I don't think so. I don't return many things either. Like I said...I'm easy.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Fudge. Without nuts.
16. Clear lights or colored? I've chosen clear since I've been responsible for the choice, but I kind of miss the big, clunky blinking ones we had every year on our tree growing up. And a few even had that big, metallic reflector around the bulb for some extra glow. Those are fun.
17. Favorite Christmas song? O Holy Night. It moves me. I hate when the pop stars only repeat the first verse because it gets really, really good in verse two and three. My favorite pop Christmas son is Last Christmas from Wham. Last Christmas, I gave you my heart...and the very next day....you gave it away. This year, to save me from tears...I'll give it to someone special (special)...
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? I actually like staying home now. It'd be too hard to get Christmas in the car. My kids have yet to wake us up early...but I think this year might be the year. I can't wait.
19. Can you name Santa's reindeer? You know Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen. Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzen. But do you recall...the most famous reindeer of all? Just like I can name all the books in the bible and book of mormon...if it's to a song, I'll remember.
20. Angel or star on top of the tree? I have what my childhood tree growing up had. It's a finial (a word I just learned while researching what the heck I put on top of my tree) tree topper. I'm sentimental that way. Its a beautiful red piece of blown glass.
There, now I can say I have done something officially holiday-ish. Bring on the fudge!
Wednesday, December 05, 2007
Christmas Meme
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


22 comments:
I can not believe you really like that Wham song. The same words repeated again and again, ad nauseum? Seriously!?
Your tree topper is really beautiful. I would like something like that. I am not liking the angel I have.
Who didn't give their brother the giant Hershey's Kiss? That was a classic!
The finial is really pretty, I might have to research those, our star is too big for the top and always sits lopsided.
I think I'm sentimental about the Wham song. It was one of the first CD's we had in our house (it was my sister's), so when I hear it played, I think of that purpley rainbow cover, and me sitting by our new stereo singing along. But you're right, it makes no sense.
Ken's family has a finial (thanks for the word) that I really like, but I have a star.
I'll bet your dad is totally serious about wanting happy children.
Love this post...I've opted for the clear lights now, but when we were first married I used the same kind as growing up, with some blinking and everything. Maybe if we ever get two trees...
We made fudge for cub scouts last week to take to the older sisters this next week. It's super easy, and oh so yummy!
Merry Christmas!
I picked up my prize from M last night! It is so much neater and prettier in person ... thank you so so much! It is living on top of my piano and I am praying and crossing my fingers (for extra protection) that no short people get to it. But I just couldn't leave it packed away!
oh i love this tag.
fun to read about the wham and hershey kiss.
o holy night is my fave too. i would love to hear you sing it!
i am so with you sister on the fudge sans nuts. nuts just muck it up!
and can i say wow on the reading list????
These lists are always so interesting to read. I am totally chuckling over Jon's Hershey Kiss. Never let anything die! :)
For some reason when I think of favorite Christmas songs Doug reminds me that his favorite was the one you and your siblings sing acapella (sp)
Little Drummer Boy. I heard it once and haven't forgotten how chilling it was!!
We have something in common!! I too love fudge but no nuts! Oddly I like nuts alone though.
oh and beautiful tree topper. We don't have one currently I would love to get one like that.
Such a great post! These are fun to read. I'm hungry for fudge and where can I get my hands on a giant hershey kiss!! Never recycled a gift? Impressive.
Fun post!!!!!! I like clear lights on trees.
Oh i seen Jen's glass nativity that she got from Myanmar. It was so beautiful
For some strange reason I like the Wham song too. I think it brings back lots of great memories for me. I converted to the artificial tree last year, pre-lit and I LOVE it. I was always philosophically opposed to artificial trees but I got so tired of trying to keep them looking good.
Lucy - I just got to look at your Thailand post - what an amazing journey. I would so have loved to be riding on one of those elephants. What drew you to Thailand? Did you serve a mission their or just felt inpsired to go? Anyway, great list! Cheers! :)
Fun list Luc-My fave song is O Holy Night too-Remember the party at Lisa Jensen's house? That girl totally stole your song. Oh, and remember we thought the wassal (is that how you spell it?) was gravy? Great times.
i love you finial! i love the WORD finial...
Now I'm in the mood for some wassail! Yum. Or do I want hot cocoa with gobs of whipped cream? Hmmmm......you're right it is a hard choice!
Sorry, but the fudge just has to have nuts!!
And the glass piano made for some great laughs for many many years. Just think how boring our memories would be if not for you and Aunt Jennie! :p
I agree with you on the nut-less fudge. Why ruin perfectly good creamy chocolate?
I love O Holy Night as well, and agree with you on the necessity of the other verses. I'm intrigued by Jenny's comment about Little Drummer Boy because that is another big favorite of mine.
What you sing too? I like reading these... it makes me feel like I know you better. I also enjoy the sentimental tree topper... I like things that have meaning.
I am also not a returner... I think it is rude... I kept every ugly wedding present we received.
I totally hear you on the fake trees changing since I announced I would never have one... I have one now.
Don't apologize for the Wham. I'd have to number that one among my favorites as well (along with "Feed the World")..I guess I'm sentimental about that part of my 80's.
On another topic entirely...I just spent the past 45 minutes in Myanmar via your posts. Oh my. I loved it all so much. What an opportunity. What a trip. The kind that changes you a little forever, I'm sure.
Lucy-I stumbled across your blog and I love it! You are obviously so much fun! I am with you about the fudge-I love all kinds! As far as the above "whiny post"-no way. We all have those kinds of days-the kind where we have no idea what to write, are thankful we even got a picture uploaded, etc., you entries are always great! Have a great December!
We always had finials on our Christmas tree, too... they were antiques my mom had forever... until one year they all broke... and I still deny playing swords with them with my brothers! Nope, wasn't me! I can't look at one of those without feeling guilty 30 years later still. LOL
Post a Comment