I cannot sleep with the light on. I blame it the sleeping conditions of my youth. We slept in a basement with tiny little windows and my dad turned the heat down to the mid 50s each night. The result was a cool, dark and relatively quiet sleeping environment.
While an argument could be made that no mother ever sleeps "well", if I can't duplicate, as close as possible, those primitive sleeping quarters in my current life, I don't sleep well.
Too hot? Misery.
Outside noise? My body swells with inner rage against the noise makers.
Light? I toss and I turn and I toss and I turn. Until the light goes off.
It's unfortunate, because Jay likes to read before he goes to sleep. Never for very long. I've learned to be relatively patient with him because I know that soon, blessed darkness will come.
The trouble arises when it's me who wants to read.
Jay has assured me numerous times, that he has no problem with me reading and I should feel free to continue reading for as long as I like. But, because I transfer my own internal feelings onto anyone else I meet, I assume that really, deep down, he's lying there with his eyes closed trying to be patient.
Recently, my fears have been somewhat confirmed, as he's pulled the covers up over his head while I'm still reading. As soon as he does it, I turn off the light and feel sheepishly selfish.
Other nights, however, he falls asleep with my light on (when I'm not even in the room) which confuses my easily confused brain.
Last night, I asked him, once and for all, what the deal was.
Turns out, he doesn't really mind the light when he can turn away from it. Unfortunately, with some of his stomach issues going on lately, he has to fall asleep on his left side, which faces me. He jokingly said how we should just switch sides of the bed.
"Why not?" I replied. "Let's do it!"
Jay, uncomfortable with this kind of abrupt change, takes a minute to get used to the idea while I remind him that it isn't unprecedented.
We had the I'm Going To Scream If I Can't Feel A Breeze Switch of '99 when I needed to be closer to the open window in our roasting, un-airconditioned apartment.
Then there was the Great Big Pregnant Woman Who Can't Hold It For More Than Two Hours Switch of 2005 when we moved our furniture around and I needed to have easier access to the bathroom during the middle of the night.
We survived both of those traumatic events perfectly fine.
And thus, the Bile-In-The-Stomach Bedside Swap of 2007 event transpired last night.
We are 3 for 3 folks!
Monday, December 17, 2007
Great Events In History
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


14 comments:
Oh Lucy...you have a great way of telling a story.
This is hilarious. Jason and I just had this discussion with Chad and Kariann the other night. Neither of us has ever made the switch. It's been the same side for 14 years for Jason and I.
I am cracking up so hard right now. I too felt the misery of that "hot" apartment, and it's all my fault since I convinced you to live there when we moved out and took you away from the Nelsons (Ha-remember the molded tent?)-but boy did we have fun living right by each other?!!! That was the best, and what's better than all the crazy people that occupied the lower apt? Hmm, Melvin (that's who lived below me when I was upstairs),Donny, Suuuusssie,and the few others that lived there. And c'mon, Marky Mark? Good times. Sorry for the random comments, but that just brought back some funny memories.
Your flexibility is admirable. We tried the switch on one or two nights of the eleven and a half years we've been married, it was just too traumatic for both of us.
I also have to run on the same side of my running friend every morning. I'm just a creature of habit.
This is great! Linc and I have had the same sides of the bed for over 7 years now- I have never thought of that! I just like to sleep on my left side, but I have to be able to put my leg out of the covers and over the side if I get too hot. You guys are the model for adaptability!
Hilarious! Our deal is, *I* always sleep closest to the door. We started this so I could get up to check on the kids and it's just carried on.
I *wish* Laren could sleep while I read. I like to read before bed, he does not!
We've switched a number of times, as well. I always get the side closest to the bathroom:)
nicely put!
i don't think i could give up my side. ever. i'm a control freak like that!
Woo hoo for the swap. Hope it works out! Doug and I have t.v. issues. I like it to put me to sleep and he says it keeps him awake.
ROFL! We have done the big "you have to sleep by the door so the bad guys get to you first" switcheroo a few times, when we've rearranged the furniture. But I finally got very used to one side, so when we moved and the bed only worked in one place and that place meant I was by the door -- I stuck it out. And so far, I haven't had to wield a bat in the middle of the night. But this does give the kids easier access to me, darn it.
We have *never* switched sides! We are tremendously un-flexible. I would sort of like to because the window is on Keith's side of the bed (I have similar sleep requirements to yours.), but we just can't do it.
Oh, you are hilarious! Don't tell my husband, but recently I've been thinking of asking for a switch...I can no longer sleep on my right side (who knows why) and I can never sleep facing my husband...my mind stays awake. Hmmm...this is giving me the courage to bring it up.
Now THAT would be a funny base for a timeline. You could frame it and put it above your bed.
We really do need to hang out again sometime soon! You are hilarious.
Post a Comment