Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Eleven

Happy Anniversary to my favorite person in the world! We're celebrating eleven years of mostly bliss today and I wanted to share eleven things that make Jay the perfect guy for me.

  1. When I look at him sitting with our boys at church, while I'm at the organ, he always has the situation under control. He's a whiz at fatherhood and our boys have the best father in the world.
  2. He puts his cold feet on my hot feet when we go to bed. I pretend like I'm doing him a favor, but I secretly love it. It's like hitting the cool side of the pillow for my feet!
  3. He lets me think I'm in charge.
  4. His favorite sound is hearing me laugh, so you should see some of the stuff he does to accomplish that fact.
  5. He respects my opinion, even if it's different from his own.
  6. He works very hard at what he does, in order to be successful for our family's future.
  7. He knows a thing or two about lots of different stuff. It makes conversations a lot of fun.
  8. We love to sing "Come What May" from the Moulin Rouge Soundtrack in harmony. He's Ewan McGregor and I'm Nicole Kidman (only we sound slightly better, in my humble opinion) and we unabashedly belt out our parts. When we finish the song, we always have that sparkle in our eyes and a smile on our lips. It's a great song!
  9. He makes me feel beautiful.
  10. He always backs up my efforts and rules with parenting our children. I love that he respects what I do.
  11. He consistently honors the covenants we made together in the temple eleven years ago today. And I know he always will.
Anniversaries feel like a second Thanksgiving to me. I spend the day in gratitude for the blessing Jay is in my life. He is my best friend, my best time, my favorite thing.

Jay is really into lyrics. He feels them. So, here are some lyrics from a song I enjoy that make me think of him:

The Way I Am by Ingrid Michaelson

If you were falling, then I would catch you.
You need a light, I'd find a match.
Cuz I love the way you say good morning.

And you take me the way I am.

If you are chilly, here take my sweater.
Your head is aching, I'll make it better.
Cuz I love the way you call me baby.
And you take me the way I am.

I'd buy you Rogaine when you start losing all your hair.
Sew on patches to all you tear.

Cuz I love you more than I could ever promise.

And you take me the way I am.

You take me the way I am.
You take me the way I am.

If you want the full story of how "we" came to be, I wrote our story last year. And, back in the day when our family was a two blog family, Jay put together this little ditty and posted it on his own blog. As his blog no longer is, I moved his effort here. I don't know how to edit the slide show, so I'll just post a few more pictures from the last year below.










Next year's goals? Take some better pictures together!

Happy Anniversary Love! You are the best.

29 comments:

BAK said...

Happy, happy anniversary! He sounds like a great guy, and you sound so happy together. Congratulations on 11 years! ;)

Kari said...

Happy Anniversary! Sounds like a match "made in heaven!" :)

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations!
You and Amy M. were married the same day. I just read her post.

Tara said...

There's nothing better than living life with that perfect someone.

We sing "Come What May" too, only I'm quite sure we don't sound better than the recording. It's still fun,though.

And we have the same hot/cold feet thing. So you're telling me Jon actually likes my cold feet? I've definitely always thought it was just one of those "I love you so I'll keep you warm" kind of things. Even better that it's a win, win situation. It only goes one way though, if he ever happens to be the cold one, I can't reciprocate in warmth-giving. Giving up any of my own heat only makes me cold. In those times Jon tries to make me feel guilty that I'm never willing to return the favor. Now that I know that sharing his cold feet is not actually a sacrifice, that he actually likes it, I never have to feel guilty. Thank you.

Happy Anniversary to a great couple!

Jen Childers said...

Happy 11 years! It doesn't seem that long ago that I finished my final and headed to the temple to see you guys come out (it's weird that I wasn't there now that I'm older...oh well). I love you guys!

donna said...

Happy Anniversary. 11 years,that is so wonderful :)

Kelly said...

Happy Anniversary!

Lindsay said...

Happy Anniversary. I loved your post. A very thoughtful tribute to your husband.

Do I still get to help you in your goal to get better pictures together? Sorry we haven't done a session yet. Life sort of got in the way, didn't it.

Libby said...

Happy Anniversary! Weird-when we met you guys you were just going on 2 years. I guess that's weird for us then too because we were only going on 3. Funny! Loved your list!

jenny said...

Happy Happy Anniversary. It was so good to talk to you and can't wait to see you in a few weeks!!

andrea said...

Happy anniversary to one of my favorite couples.

carlo said...

how sweet! that is such a nice tribute and what a lovely family you have.

scott is my feet heater and i am the coldie. always.

Amy said...

Happy Anniversary! This post made me smile & smile. I loved reading what he means to you...and I loved seeing that bottom picture of you all together!

Jill said...

Happy Anniversary Lucy! Your slide show was darling, it totally hurt my heart (in a good way). It's quite an emotional thing to see a couple become a family like that.

Bridget said...

Wow! I have been away way too long! so much to get caught up on.

Jim and I have our 11 year anniversary on Friday. Congrats to you and Jay! I will now always remember when your anniversary is. :)

Have a very Merry Christmas!

Amie said...

I love this! Happy couples are one of my favorite things.

Happy Anniversary. I hope you guys had a great day together.

I had already noticed that you light up whenever you talk about Jay, I love that my suspicions of you have a great marriage are correct.

Unknown said...

happy anniversary!

Anne said...

Happy Anniversary Lucy and Jay! The slide show was so sweet! And I believe you did a great job getting photos together this year!

Anonymous said...

Belated happy anniversary! Mom

Lara said...

Happy Anniversary!!!! You and Jay are so awesome!!!!!!!

Kristin said...

Happy Anniversary Lucy and Jay!
Do you think you could post a video of your duet? ;)

Emmanuelle said...

Happy Anniversary!!!! And I wish you many other wonderful years like those last 11 :-)

{krista} said...

Happy Anniversary Lucy and Jay!!!

Barb said...

Happy Anniversary!

Calamity Jane said...

That vidieo should go on the churches web site to show how good marriage can be. Happy anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary to you! This was such a sweet post -- I had to go back and read your story from last year. So nice!

April said...

Oh Lucy...I loved the slide show. My favorite pictures...the kiss outside the temple in your wedding dress...and the black and white near the end. Happy Anniversary to both of you!

amy gretchen said...

I have been meaning to and wanting to come over and wish you a happy anniversary. I guess it got lost in all the other things going on at that moment. Sorry for the late notice. I certainly love that we share in the same day and year.

Happy 11 years to you both. I loved your post and thoughts.

amy gretchen said...

I meant to say I loved the video and the songs you choose are some of my favorite. All I Need makes me cry every time.