Saturday, December 29, 2007

Christmas Break....I Suppose

Remember the days when a holiday actually meant a vacation? I have many fond memories of sitting around during those two glorious weeks off and reading, shopping, eating, sleeping, skiing, sledding, snowmobiling, watching movies and playing games. Furthermore, all of this festivity and vacationing was usually accomplished while also reuniting with family and friends.

To this I say: Sorry, Mom. And sorry to my mother-in-law.

I abused you.

I mean, wow...when you don't go anywhere, and you don't have family visiting, and your husband still has to work his normal workload and school is out, the vacation turns out quite different.

For instance, I still have to cook. People still get hungry and want to eat and there is no food magically appearing around suppertime after a day of games. Oh...and that day of games? It isn't happening either.

I feel like a grown-up...and not in the good way.

It hasn't been bad. It's just been too normal. I have always counted on this burst of holiday cheer to get me though the rest of the dreary winter. I suppose I'm just going to have to put a lot of emphasis on the good stuff that's happened.

Seth won the family fantasy football championship. I had it two years ago (although I came in 11th of 12 teams this year) and then Uncle Darren had it. We say it has rightfully returned home.

It's called the Krafty Blue Bowl, in honor of Grandpa's old horse.


We frosted Christmas cookies. I had ordered a dozen from a gluten-free bakery and then we never decorated them for the big day. So, even though Christmas had past, we still managed to frost and...yes...eat them.

Seth snitches some cream cheese frosting.

Anyone want to guess how well Henry and frosting mix? I'm still finding it on things.

Outside after one of the several batches of new snow we've had this week.

Super Sam

Seth thought it was fun to throw snowballs. Henry though differently.


Seth and Sam had been having lightsaber wars and after a while, I noticed it was quiet. I thought it very unlikely that both boys had spontaneously fallen asleep in the middle of the room, and on further inspection found them both to be "playing dead."

Sammy has always had a great death scene and while Seth could hardly keep his legs still, Sammy was convincing. He even had his eyes half open for part of the time.


My favorite thing was meeting some fellow bloggers for brunch on Friday. Kelly A. is in town for the holiday and had some of her fans come adore her at a local cafe. Next to me is Kelly's cute sister Lori, then Kelly...across the table is Andie, who is fashionably delightful and Denise, a kindred spirit for sure.

We're officially putting the whole "internet/blogging friend" bit to rest. We are simply good friends. Kelly is a star.

Jay made my entire week by preparing a fabulous chile verde meal from scratch. Roasted the tomatillos, slow cooked the pork. It was awesome. I'm hoping it becomes some sort of tradition.

We made it to the Children's Museum yesterday. It was very, very, very crowded, but Jay was there so I could simply follow Henry. He could have cared less if he knew where I was, so it was up to me to know where he was.

Favorite place was the balls. He loved lifting up this cover and having the wind blow his face. Then, when the cover is closed, it becomes like one of those bank vacuums and sucks the ball up the tube.

His face when the ball zooms up.

When I bunch it all together, we look like party animals! Or at least alive and kicking.

13 comments:

carlo said...

oh lucy-- i love the pics and yes, break can feel "normal" at times but i hope your good times get you through the boring-est (ellie's word) parts.

LOVE the pic of kellya. Love it. so glad you were able to get together.

Emily said...

I think that sounds like a really fun week! I hear you about the meals though- definitely when it's not fun to be the one in charge of that :)

Bridget said...

I hear you. Love my kids, but school could start tomorrow and I would be okay with that. :)

Jill said...

I totally can relate, being the mom over these extended holidays is fun and exhausting at the same time! It looks like your boys are having a blast, you are so awesome!

jenny said...

Isn't it funny the perspective you have of "vacation" now? I totally agree...I remember spending loads of time playing Super Mario brothers and trying to defeat Zelda! With occasional invites to friends houses and if I was lucky a ski trip.

Your chili looks yummy as does your ladies lunch. You guys are awesome to take your kids to the Children's Museum.....I avoid those places like the plague--such a lame mom :)

Lara said...

Looks like you have been busy!

Our Christmas was kind of different this year too. We usually spend lots of time at Chris' parents house - but not so much this year - I don't know why - especially since they will be leaving soon. But I actually enjoyed some down time and time with just my family and Chris (who I hardly see any more).

By the way, Herm and Jeraldine got called to the Cleveland, Ohio mission. Where they will work in the Kirtland historical areas. They enter the MTC on Feb. 18. I'm getting really nervous for them to be gone!!!!

Your life with Henry reminds me so much of mine!!! What is it with that third child?!!!!!!

Keep on laughing! A sense of humor (and a camera) are the only ways to get through it sometimes!!!!!

Kari said...

Yeah, I'm so with ya on the Christmas Break not really being a break thing!

How fun that you got together with Kelly, Denise and Company! Tell Kelly I miss her! I missed her blog going private post.

Decorating the cookies looks like it was fun!! :) And that Chili Verde looks beyond good! Yum, I want the recipe!!

Kristin said...

I'm very impressed...I have spent more days than I can count not even getting out of my pajamas. I think there is something to be said for "down time" especially since our day to day stuff keeps us so busy.

Hopefully the kids won't have to write those "What I did over Christmas Vacation" essays because they will sadly have to say "Watched my mom snoring on the couch"...oh well.

Libby said...

Looks like you are all having fun. My boys would be loving some snow to play in here in AZ. But no, not here in Mesa-I think it's supposed to be in the 70's next week. Already?

I agree with you on the vacation. Growing up is no fun.

Kelly said...

Aw shucks Lucy, the check is in the mail!

I don't know why you ever cook if Jay can whip up something like that. I would retire from the kitchen for sure.

And what a smart idea ordering those cookies!

melanie said...

Amen to this whole post! I am feeling extra weary this vacation. I wanted to have the baby at the end of break instead of at the beginning. It's thrown everything off (I wouldn't trade him of course). The meals for everyone, ugh is all I have to say.

Jay's meal should become tradition. It sounds and looks delish!

Fun to meet bloggers, Utah is the mecca for that.

Rebecca said...

Those cookies look yummy! And the chile verde, yummy. The holidays are about food for us. We spent four days at Devin's parents mostly eating. Towards the end Devin said he gained five pounds in four days and that it was time to go.

I'm glad you had fun with your kids!

Barb said...

I would really like to know more about the fantasy family football cup. What a fun idea.