Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Tempting Fate

I don't really believe in Fate.

I believe in purpose. I believe in prophesy. I believe in luck. I believe in agency. I believe in a plan. I believe in happenstance. I believe in coincidence. I believe in tender mercies.

I believe in common sense and listening to reason and consequence to action but Fate?

No. Not really.

If I did, then I don't think I'd ever go anywhere. Fate, if she exists, seems to be telling me to stay home. But, that isn't what I chose, so here I am, away from where Fate wants me...taunting her.

I'd been planing on using the time Seth is out of school, to travel and visit my sister, my brother and my friends in our former, much loved northwest paradise. But then I heard my brother and sister in-law were going to be gone the weekend I wanted to visit (I never did get around to asking them so if they are reading this, it's news to them. No worries. Have fun on the cruise!), my cell phone disappeared, my minivan started acting up with the tire pressure indicator repetedly coming on and the brakes acting slightly funny, my phone messages left for people to have all the correct information for flyers to the ward party were never returned and I discovered Seth's break wasn't as long as I originally thought and all previous plans had to be thrown out for new ones. It was enough to make me wonder if maybe, just maybe, I shouldn't go on my road trip.

I adjusted my itinerary, borrowed Jay's cell phone (because the only person he calls is me, and I never call him as he has no reception in the hospital), took my car in to get fixed Monday morning, and unfortunately for Jay, left him with the ward party mess.

And...so far so good. I'd knock on wood...but I don't believe in that sort of thing either.

If Fate thought it'd be a good idea for me to stay home during Seth's break, she is really trying to boss me into not going out of the country next month. She's been plotting this little coup for some time now, but I continue to ignore her.

First of all, I always figured living close to family was going to make this trip easier because I'd have help with my kids. But, soon after we firmed up the actual dates we would travel, my sister-in-law, who I had assumed would watch my boys if I could somehow woo, extort or repay with a counter offer to watch her children for an equal amount of time, announced her pregnancy and due date to be the exact week of our trip (I never did get around to asking her so if she is reading this, it's news to her. No worries. So excited about my future niece!).

I knew that also eliminated my mother-in-law, as she'd be helping with my sister-in-law's family after the birth, and all my other family members work during the day. So, I adjust. My current plan is to ask someone in my ward with one baby (there are like 10-20 such families) to watch Sam and Henry during the day and simply pay them for their efforts. Jay decided to take a week off of work so I actually only need to hire someone for three, maybe four work days. Doable.

Then came the visa and passport problem. But that wasn't anything a couple of hundred of extra dollars couldn't fix. Of course, after that further investment, the protests started in Myanmar. Suddenly, the three of us were wondering if a country on the brink of civil war was really the best place for a vacation. I don't know if any of you have continued reading the news, but reports are sketchy. No one really knows what's going on. We have been able to talk to our parents, and they feel that the revolt is over and it's safe to come. Of course, they also have no access to the internet (only email...which I now send my blog to...but not this one because they think perhaps their emails might be being censored...and my sister, Sarah, is convinced they'll read my blog and consider me hostile to their country and seek to silence me I happen to think that the military junta has more to worry about than one stay-at home woman visiting her missionary parents. Like...say....about 50 million people wishing someone different was in charge...but better safe than sorry.)

At the minimum, we decided we'd go to Thailand and if it wasn't safe, then we would stay there, bask on warm beaches and ride elephants and skip the showdown for democracy. But then, the flight we had tickets on to Thailand was cancelled. The company offered us seats on a flight a day earlier, two days later or a full refund.

The refund was tempting. We asked ourselves, "is this Fate telling us not to go?" But Fate, for all her conniving and scheming, needs more than childcare, money, and civil unrest to keep me down. I have tickets, and I will travel.

We are going for many reasons. A vacation, a warm place to forget the cold, a visit to beloved parents. But a major reason is that all of us want to see the people, the conditions, and the beauty of Myanmar. My mother told me that when she thinks of us coming, she thinks of the poem I put on my blog about the holes in streets and choosing different streets. She told me that every street has holes, and there is no alternative. I like the analogy and I am really looking forward to seeing the beautiful children of God that my parents have had the stewardship of helping this last year.

As for Fate?

Na, na, na, na, na, na.

edited to say that after that whole paragraph about not sending this to my parents' email, I forgot to edit my settings and sent it to them anyway. So...if something questional happens and I'm detained or something, send help.

Physical - Tempo/OIP/Half frogs
Spiritual - 2 NE chapters 19-23
Work - made bed, tidied room, did morning dishes (it's a lot easier when you're a visitor!)
Nuturing - open gym at gymnastics place. Very fun.


25 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Ahhh, Lucy...how long should we let you not post before we send help?

Would you repost the poem, please? I can't follow the link.

I like your "experiment with perfection" check off list at the bottom. Way to go!

Emily said...

LOL
Have a fun week traveling!

andrea said...

Hilarious. I can't wait to read about your trip to Myanamar. It is sure to be the adventure of a lifetime.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to ruin your babysitting with a baby! Had I known you were wanting to travel and the destination was Switzerland or something I would maybe have postponed... oh well. Maybe this baby will come early and she'll be mellow and I can still help. or maybe not...
Kelly

RoRo2 said...

oh no it got emailed after all!!!! I really hope you are able to visit Mayanmar and that your trip will be fine.

Anonymous said...

"As sure as you can steer a train,
you can change your fate."

--They Might Be Giants


Anonymous friend

Anonymous said...

People tell me it's a sin
To know and feel too much within
I still believe she was my twin but I lost the ring
She was born in spring
but I was born too late
Blame it on a simple twist of fate.

--Bob Dylan

Anonymous friend who does believe in fate

Oh, and what are half frogs???

Lara said...

Way to put your hand up in Fate's face! I'm sure you will show her!!!

Hope things do work out.

My brother just got back from working in Tailand for 9 months. He loved it there. But I do hope you do actually get into Mayanamar to see your parents and experience first hand what it is really like there.

Melanie said...

OK, so I realize you don't really know me. But our husbands sort of know each other and we've met a couple of times. Anyway, I'm in West Valley, and I'd love to watch your kids for you if you still need someone. My kids are 2 and almost-4. Let me know. My email is johnandmelanie@juno.com.

Elizabeth said...

Makes me think of Bridget Jones trapped in the prison in Thailand. I am glad you are still going. I am sure it will be an amazing experience.

Anonymous said...

Dad can bring up the blogs on the office computer (on our laptop, access to all blogs is denied--so I can't even post pictures) but have been able to read your blog.
At first access to the internet was only from 10pm to 4 am the beginning of this week, but now it's on for a couple of hours in the afternoon. We taught all our classes this week and will go out to a village on Friday--tomorrow. Monday we are flying to the new capital for a donation ceremony of the 500 wheelchairs that LDSC has provided for this country. Glad you are coming. Travel safely. Mom

[alisar] said...

I believe in Fate. I know her well, and let me tell you, she doesn't want you to go. I'm seriously nervous for you. You're a smart girl, but please, oh, please, don't be too stubborn. We need you to come back!

Anonymous said...

I just have to say that I know your secret code name, and all you have to do is send an S.O.S. and I will come find you! I watched Alias religiously.

Good luck with all your travels, and I do have to say I believe in fate, but that really doesn't help your cause! LOL

Anonymous said...

good luck with it all, lucy.

will keep you in thoughts and prayers

jenny said...

I had no idea the happens going on over there. I am glad you still decided to go because quite frankly I still think you will have an amazing experience. Elephants? Cool! Good luck and I am not too sure about fate either :)

Kelly said...

I'm worried for you and excited for you all at the same time. But mostly excited for your mom to get some awesome company!

donna said...

Have fun and enjoy.
Oh and eat a lot of noodles !!! Yummy thai food :)

{krista} said...

What a fabulous opportunity for you!!! Sounds so exciting and fun... and I hope safe, too.

Calamity Jane said...

Lucy, I am with you, I can't tell ever if fate is having her way with me telling me to immediately stop what I am doing or if it is "oppostition in all things" "if something is worth doing you will have more trials getting there" Push forward or stop - be clear unseen voices!!! I need a translator!

Dang Tara, Stupid cruise, selfish me, I would love to meet you, I have already met two of your sisters.

Denise said...

I'm always wondering if the universe is trying to tell me something. So naturally I think the same thing for you. But I'm happy to report, when I put my apprehensions aside and just DO it, it's fine, and I end up happy I did it. Turns out, I'm a bit of a worrier, surprise!

So, since you're intent on going, good luck, have fun, and consider having a homing device implanted in the back of your neck before you leave. Godspeed!

melanie said...

Fabulous take on fate! I agree with it all, so proud of you for showing her who's boss!

Can't wait to hear all about it!

Amy said...

Oh Lucy. I loved this post. Reminds me of Mary Chapin Carpenter "I say fate should not tempt me." Love that song. I can't wait to hear about your ventures. Good or bad, you have a way with blogging them all into great stories.

Thank you for the good mail CD (and chocolate, of course). My boys are in ABSOLUTE love with #4. It brings the cutest smiles to their faces!

I'm embarrassed beyond embarrassed to say that I've had a package addressed to you for about two months that I haven't sent! Some day...

chloe said...

Lucy! I'm so excited for you!!! Have a great time. I don't believe in Fate, per se, but I do believe in things happening the way they should (maybe that's the same thing). I'm sure your trip will be fantastic and I look forward to hearing all about it.

Amie said...

Are you really on vacation... or did "they" get you....?

You are brave. I hope you have a fantastic trip!

Rebecca said...

My nephew is serving a mission in Thailand. He said when the people there talk to him it is mostly about how tall he is. Before he left he was 6'-5". I don't think tall people realize how fascinating they are to us short people.

I hope you get to go. It sounds so exciting!