Friday, October 19, 2007

It IS a Small World, Afterall

From the get go of blogging, I have been amazed at the vast web that stretches across and connects all of us. Every so often, it seems I notice a connection between myself and others that I was previously unaware of. As it's been an amusing phenomenon from the beginning, I'm going to start there.

I usually credit my good friend, Jenny, as the person responsible for my exposure to blogging, but that's not entirely true. Around the same time, my sister, Emily, was talking to me about blogging and encouraging me to start one. Prior to this, we had established that one of her online friends, Shelah, from a message board, was someone I had met at BYU. You know that bizarre name game, when someone asks you if you knew so and so from BYU and you want to scream, "There's 40,000 people there! Probably not!" but when Emily mentioned that her friend's husband was a microbiology major and told me his name, I actually did know who he was. Funnier yet, I had gone on a group date with both he and Shelah my freshman year of college.

She sent me the link to her blog, Hitting the Ground Running, and I throughly enjoyed Shelah's writing. How bizarre to suddenly know the ins and outs of someone's days who I kind of, sort of knew almost 15 years previously.

Once I began my own blog, the world got smaller. Dana, of Charmed Designs fame, recognized me from our first BYU married ward. She also once posted a picture on her blog of one of her bridesmaids, a picture of a girl named Jennifer, who also happened to be a friend of mine at BYU, albeit independent of Dana. We had originally met because she was cousins with my freshman roommate, Michelle and then she and her husband, Ryan, ended up in Jay's and my ward and we joined the Mapleton Chorale when Ryan was the conductor. The Mapleton Chorale, by itself, has been a constant "I-know-someone-too" or "I'm from Mapleton" topic of conversation. Kari mentioned in one of her posts how someone in her ward had influenced her weight loss journey, who just happened to be my sister-in-law, Bekki. Ana turned out to be a different sister-in-law's counselor in a young women's presidency. Misty, (another online friend of my sister's) moved into my ward. Rachel, who I met at the blog party, is the sister-in-law of my sister's good friend, Donna, and Crystalyn, who I also met at the blog party, turned out to once be the roommate of one of my friends, Elisa, whose husband was a radiology resident in the same program as my husband.

Just a little while ago, Susan and I discovered that we had actually met in real life, as she is the sister-in-law of my dear former visiting teaching companion....the one I just went through the temple with a few months ago. And she's real life friends with Neighbor Jane Payne. Almost eerie. But great fun.

I love how each new person I meet adds another strand to the web. Follow the strand to see if intersects somehow with another strand I've already woven.

Such were a few of the strands I added on this last trip. First, while on a walk with my sister, Jennifer, we stopped afterwards to let our kids play. At the park were two girls who were in my sister's ward. We started to talk, and in politeness, Hailey, one of the girls, asked about my trip. I told her that after my stay with my sister, I'd be heading up to Spokane to visit my old friends. She smiled, and then said that she had a good friend who had lived in Spokane, but only for a year and now they were back on the east coast doing a residency. I sort of smiled and asked if it happened to be Alisa, a good friend of mine last year. Her eyes got all big at my guess and we laughed about the small world. As she was explaining how she knew her, she mentioned a mixture of Medical and Dental student wives in Iowa and I ventured another guess to see if she knew the sister of KariAnn, Betsy, whose husband I knew was a Dental student there. That brought on an almost squeal as they happen to be dear friends.

I mentioned this story to KariAnn, who has been my great friend these past five years, which got us talking about Betsy and her quickly improving photography skills. KariAnn showed me Betsy's blog, which is filled with adorable pictures of her kids, and I told KariAnn, who has an eye and talent for photography herself, about Amy M.'s blog, whose photography I admire. As soon as KariAnn had seen a picture of Amy, she recognized her as someone she already knew from her freshman year at BYU. Sure enough, her scrapbook confirmed it and the world grew smaller still.

I have a feeling there are even more discoveries to make. It makes me even more motivated to meet new people and find out how we actually already know each other:)

What connections have you made through blogging? Do you think the world is small too?

24 comments:

andrea said...

The world is way too small! Yesterday I discovered a link on my brother's blog to a blog I have been reading for some time. Turns out they are friends. It truly is a small, small world. It makes me want to be careful of what I write.

Kelly said...

That's awesome Lucy a little creepy, but awesome still. And you always say you are just a little nobody who is anonymous on the internet.

PS email me, my broken computer has all my addresses on it.

Melanie said...

OK, so I'm almost positive that Amy M. lived directly across the hall from me in Chipman (Helaman Halls) my freshman year at BYU. Weird! I haven't made as many blogging connections as you have, but I am always amazed at how small the world really is!

Barb said...

This post almost makes me wish I'd gone to the Y.

melanie said...

Small world connections freak me out too. They happen way too often!

Neighbor Jane is a real life friend and Susan too! Oh and I've met Donna through blogging so that makes 3 on your list. Man I want to meet so many bloggers. I love all your 'connections' through blogging!

jenny said...

I think not only is the "Mormon" connection small, but you add that to going to BYU, getting a blog, maybe into dentistry or medicine and I swear someone knows someone else. I can't tell you how many people know people on my side bar that I haven't met. Crazy!

I feel like I was reading Kevin Bacon :) And why do they call the game by that name any how?

jenny said...

P.S. And it is so strange to think that I was pregnant at the same time as Dana in our married ward as well. Such a small world!

KariAnn said...

Very fun, it's almost as exciting as Christmas, seriously!

Tara said...

It's amazing that you've found so many connections through blogging.

Here's an unbeliveable small world story...a missionary from Myanmar, one your parents helped prepare for the mission field, is now serving in our Stake. It really was a thrill to meet him. Of all the places in the world he could've gone...

{krista} said...

Wow, that is so cool! I've found no connections through blogging, but then again, I went to Ricks instead of BYU. Maybe that's my problem? LOL

Rachel said...

Holy Cow! That is incredible! It's truly amazing how we are all connected (especially in the church) in one way or another! Very cool post! :)

Anonymous said...

This was a lot of fun to read! It has also been a real treat to reconnect with Jenny and you through this medium.

It will be fun to see just how many more people we will connect with if we continue to blog in the future! :)

carlo said...

i have loved hearing about all of the blogger connections. none for me so far. though i haven't told a lot of people and i didn't go to byu and i am not Mormon so that could be part of it. i do love to hear about the smallness from all of you though!

Anonymous said...

This is crazy, isn't it? It's crazy the connections that you can figure out. I went to high school with Jenny C., but we didn't know each other then. Annalisa and I lived in T Hall of Deseret Towers our freshman year at BYU, but didn't know each other. Then I just had someone start commenting on my blog in the last couple of weeks who is good friends with one of my best friends from high school and BYU, and she's now in the same ward in TX as a different one of my best friends from high school and BYU. BYU is such a big place, it almost doesn't seem like these connections should be possible. So weird, but fun at the same time.

Lara said...

Pretty cool - can you imagine what it will be like on the other side when we meet old friends and ancestors? Yeah, we are all connected.

Rebecca said...

I LOVE coincidences like this! They don't happen to me that often, but I find myself always trying to talk to the person a little longer than they would like, making it a little awkward for them when I follow them to their car.

Jill said...

There have definitely been some blog friend overlaps and connections along the way, and I always think it's crazy when I new one surfaces. Your documentation of these is seriously crazy though.

Kristin said...

What a great post!! I love it when connections like that happen. This was so fun to read. I have had two connections that I know of...Lara's bestfriend from high school turned out to be my bestfriend from elementary school and...a girl that used to be in our ward named Stacy was reading Carolyn's blog and linked to mine. It turns out she went to high school with my cousin's wife Hannah. Fun huh?

donna said...

Love the post! Yes it is a small word.
It is amazing how we all are connected


I am so glad that we have become blog buddies and friend.
Have a wonderful day :)

[alisar] said...

Hmmm. I'm guessing you met Haley Christian of Tri Cities? Is that right? There were two Iowa Haley's - one I was very close to and another who I pretty much admired from afar. I think you met my not so close Haley. Connections are funny things, especially in the church. I've had some weird ones too. I was once standing in the foyer of a church when a lady came up to me and said, "You look so much like a good friend I had twenty years ago." It turned out to be my mom. Weird.

Lisa said...

Sometimes it seems the world is too small, for my liking anyhow. How am I supposed to write how I really feel about people if there is a chance they might read it? LOL

Kari said...

Yeah, I've had some connections but not nearly so many as you -- I don't think!!

Unknown said...

You have been one of my most surprising connections, Lucy!

I've run into some people from my BYU days and read some blogs that I'd rather not have found by people I know. All the snarkiness they try to hide from their real-life connections comes right out on their blogs, ya know? It has made me think more carefully about what I write.

It's a weird, small world, sometimes.

Amy said...

Loved this post!