Monday, February 26, 2007

Skipping

When I was in seventh grade, my English teacher made us all make a poetry book. We had to write a poem in several of the different techniques and one of mine was about skipping. I'm not sure what technique it was but it is written in the form of a curvy path (which took a great deal of effort in those early computer days). My poetry book is safely tucked away in one of my parent's bookshelves in Montana or I'd take a picture of it for all to enjoy. But here is the basic gist.

On my road of life, I'm skipping....then I trip and fall into a deep, dark hole (very dramatic) ....I shout at people to help me out or notice me but no one does...drama, drama, drama....I make my way out of the hole and start skipping again but now I skip with a limp.

Jay got his hands on this precious book back when we were dating and laughed as hard as I had ever seen him laugh. He started hobbling around the room mocking me as I chased him trying to get my book back. I was horrified that he would mock my earlier sensibilities. Alright, I admit now that it was overly dramatic to equate pimples, being a giant and freak among the boys (I was 5'9" by the end of the year) or the shifting of friendships that inevitably happens when anyone goes to middle school with falling in a deep hole but such is the view of a thirteen year old drama queen.

Really, I think skipping gets a bad rap. It's use is almost exclusively limited to being a metaphor for happiness or a motion young children use to play. But no more.

I skipped yesterday. Seth loves to skip and as we were walking out of the church building, he said, "let's skip." He has said this before and I've properly ignored him, but yesterday I was particularly loving him because he gave a great talk in primary and looked so dashing in his little suit coat and diagonal tie. Yes, I felt embarrassed because I didn't have a jog bra on and that's never pretty. Not to mention that if I saw someone (an adult) skipping down the road (in a skirt no less) I would make fun of her. I wouldn't roll down my window and shout out "loser!" but I would privately chortle and snicker. But, skip I did and I learned something profound on top of being the coolest mom ever in Seth's eyes.

It is a fabulous workout. I don't know why this hasn't caught on. It's way harder than jogging yet it's a motion anyone can do. It's free, low-impact, major cardio and fantastic on the quads and calves. After one block, I realized that I may be onto something. This could be the next fitness craze! Forget Tai-Bo, forget pilates....rediscover your childhood love of skipping! I dare you to try it. You could even use the guise of holding onto the hand of a six-year old like I did.

Oh....and the limp was gone.

20 comments:

Jen Childers said...

I love it! I actually like skipping. I skip around my house when I get the chance. Let's make a skipping workout, what do you say? :) Just kidding. I love the mental pic of you and Seth skipping and I'm sure the only thing people were thinking was "I wish I was that kind of mom...." Skip away!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes when I am being silly and want to reminisce I will skip too. Never for long because my fat @$$ can't take it but I bet it is a great workout.

And I love that the limp was gone. Time heals all things :)

carlo said...

I don't skip enough... :)

My Ellie is a great skipper and takes it Very seriously.

Sorry MeanBlogger ate your first draft.

Kelly said...

My Jack is a skipper, I'll have to give it a go!

Tara said...

Makes me what to get up and skip just to see what it feels like!:) I don't remember the last time I gave it a go but now you've got me thinking...

I do remember skipping down the streets of Rexburg with my best friend while attending Ricks. We would lock arms and sing "Skip to My Lou." Now that's much more embarrassing than skipping hand-in-hand with your child!

jenny said...

I haven't "skipped" in years unless you would count my heart skipping a beat when I was scared or nervous. You are a WAY cool mom!

That brings a song to mind.."Skip to my lou, skip to my lou, skip to my lou my darling...."

jenny said...

Umm looks like Tara beat me on the song.

andrea said...

I love to skip and often do it around the house with the girls. I don't know if I could bring myself to do it right after church though. I do agree, it would make a great workout. Maybe we should try it on our treadmills.

Anonymous said...

Good for you. We played a game a couple of months ago with our police officers class and skipping was on one of the cards drawn. A big (for Myanmar) drew a skipping card. He didn't know the word, so Dad showed him how and his reply was "I can't do that!" I'm not sure what he meant but he wouldn't even try. I'm glad you skipped home with Seth.

Kari said...

First, how did you skip in your dress and presumably heels? (I thought you said you were leaving church.)

Second, I love skipping too though I hardly ever do it. There is no way one can skip and not feel happiness!!! I LOVE it!!

Thanks for the smile (not the kind of smile you might be thinking the pleasant smile as I look at the mental picture I have of a very fun and loving mother having a wonderful time with her son!!)!!!

Lara said...

Skipping - it's a good thing!!! I use my kids as often as possible to be a kid again plus this is when I am most often the happiest. Thank goodness for kids.

Kristin said...

I am a big skipper!! We used to have "skipping races" in the neighborhood I grew up in. Even the "big" teenage boys would compete. They always would win as they had very long legs. (We grew up in the canyon...we had alot of time on our hands) :)

It IS a great workout!! Plus it is impossible to skip and be in a bad mood. I have skipping races with my kids in the park right by your house!

Jonathan said...

Dad was always a good skipper. I think you got your skipping prowess from him.

donna said...

Skipping is fun!!!!

Shelah said...

ooh, I need to do that more often!

Bridget said...

You crack me up! Isn't it fun sometimes to loose our inhibitions and just be kids again. It is the little things like that that kids remember when they get older. I will make sure I skip sometime this week. :)

Jay said...

You didn't do justice to your skipping poem. We need to publish the whole poem. Plus, there was a picture of you skipping to go along with it.

Rebecca said...

You are a great mom! I can just see the two of you beaming and skipping along.

Amy said...

It is funny reading everyone's comments about how many people have "little skippers". My niece Sarah is always skipping. She is 6 just like Seth. Next time she is skipping I am going to join in! Sounds fun and there is something just so HAPPY about skipping! Great Post Lucy!!

annalisa said...

It's like swinging with your eyes closed on a warm summer day. Something only children do, but have you enjoyed it lately? It's divine. And skipping is a chore. Just like jump roping, jumping jacks, and all those other fun childhood acitivities.
I loved your poem! How articulately it emcompasses those ackward teenage years. I would be mortified if my husband laughed too. Hmm, I think you've just inspired my next post. Something I've been thinking about writing for a while.