Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day

I've never been overly sentimental about Valentine's Day. I never had one until I was married but neither Jay or I consider it our "special" day. My best memories of the day are the cards and gifts my mother would give us. I don't even think she did it every year but she at least did it once because I know I got a photo album once. Like I said...not overly sentimental.

With Jay out of town, I wasn't really concerned about this day but sometime this week, I shifted my gears from thinking it as a lovers holiday to just a love holiday. And I have three little loves that are not out of town. My kids don't generally expect grand gestures from me but I surprised them today with a pretty fun day, if I do say so myself. Everyone woke up early (5:45) and I let them watch cartoons for an hour. Then I dug out the heart shaped waffle maker that was a wedding gift that we've used about three times in the last ten years. I'll have to whip it out more often because the boys loved it!

Not super pretty...but they are just for eating.

When I got a card for Jay, I picked up two more for Seth and Sam (I just can't spend $3.00 on Henry who doesn't read, doesn't care and I don't save them anyway). I handed them their cards while they were eating and gave them both a few dollars. They don't get an allowance and only get money when they do jobs so they were very excited about their "free" money.

Cards and money. Simple and sweet.

I have read many, many articles on keeping the spark alive or showing love by leaving little notes for loved ones. I tried it out on Seth. I put one in his shoe, his glove, his backpack, his folder, his lunch box. I could tell he liked them because he got really hyper and told me all of these notes were SO annoying!

I didn't want Sammy to feel left out so I arranged a play date for him while I went into Seth's classroom for the afternoon party and took him out to lunch at Subway. I even got him the Kid's Pack with the toy (stickers) which I never do. Total treat for him. He was kind of confused about the whole day because his preschool party was yesterday and he already opened up all of his valentines. But he had a great time with his preschool friend.

I was the party coordinator in Seth's first grade class along with my friend, Alisa, and I have to say that the party was a great success. I'm not a crafter so I just left those out of the planning and we spent the time playing games. The kids were laughing and trying to win and there were no tears, or bored kids. On the drive home, Seth told me he wanted me to be the party mom every year, especially on Valentine's Day. His approval and pride in me was the best valentine I got all day.

The spread. Cupcakes, strawberries and Swedish Fish! And yummy red punch!

C-U-P-I-D game

Cupid Says

Valentine's Puzzles

We just picked up a heart shaped pizza for dinner and I think Valentine's day just found a convert. It's really fun to make an extra effort for the people I love. Now, if there could just be less pink involved....

7 comments:

jenny said...

Is pink really that bad? I am a bit biased because that is my favorite color. I am way impressed on all your efforts to make valentines day a sweet one for your kids. I didn't go any further than my cut out heart pancakes this morning. I am chuckling over your pulling out the waffle iron. I guess whom ever gave that too you figured you would be making a lot of "Love" waffles. Hope your evening goes as smoothly as your day. You rock!

Jen Childers said...

Sounds like a productive and fun day. Glad you had a good one!

andrea said...

I have the same waffle iron. too funny. Sounds like you made the best of Jay being out of town.

carlo said...

What a great day you gave your sweet boys! And that they did not expect it is even better!

I love that you said that you decided to make it a "love" holiday. Very, very sweet lists, too. Such a nice idea.

Unknown said...

Sounds fun. You are a great mom. My kids got pancakes and we(I) made cookies but that's about it. Chris was in town but we didn't do anything anyway! Oh, and I agree about the pink!

annalisa said...

Exactly how I feel! All the mushy, sentimental stuff is shall I say "gag me with a rubber spoon"? :) But when you are showing your kids mail (and sending off care packages) it really is a fun holiday.

annalisa said...

I forgot to ask: what's the Cupid game?