Wednesday, February 28, 2007

In My Defense

I think I came off a little snooty in my last post. At least like someone with too high of expectations. Lest you think I'm some kind of monster mom who expects perfection, I thought I'd post Seth's classroom project... the diorama.


Proud as a peacock here!


Now, an interpretation.



He draws his scene from the Magic Tree House book "Polar Bears at Bedtime" by Mary Pope Osborne. The blue is the sky (which we had to change frantically this morning to black because....the story takes place at BEDTIME!) The white paper is ice. The crumpled up paper is a glacier mountain. The cotton balls are polar bears (big one is the mama and the two other blobs are the cubs). And Jack and Annie are on their side because they are crawling. And they are wearing brown because they found seal skin coats.

100% Seth. I had no hand in this at all. (Can't you tell???) He was so unbelievably happy with his work. I think I got five hugs as I was putting him to bed (he's physical when he's content).
I love that he's so pleased. And if that is the point (because I can not think of a single other one) than I'm glad they have to do this project.

16 comments:

Emily said...

Very nice, Seth! And I'm thinking I'm glad Connor's first grade (Seth is in first grade, right??) is much more low key!!

Anonymous said...

Good job, Seth~!

Jen Childers said...

I love it! That's a great book. Good job Seth!

andrea said...

Way to go Seth. After reading your post I asked Emma about Seth's diorama. She said it was really good and knew the title of the book. I wish I would have taken a picture of Emma's project. I'll have to remember when she brings it home.

jenny said...

Way to go Seth! I especially like the "crawling" figures with Sammy and Henry's faces on them. Cute.

donna said...

I think it is great!!!!
You did a wonderful job Seth.

Anonymous said...

Girl, no need to defend yourself! Well all know you are an awesome mom! Hands down better mom than me! :)

Lucy said...

Jenny - that would have been really cute had I thought of it. But those are cutouts I cut out from a web site. O.K. I guess it wasn't toally Seth. But he was looking on the computer with me...and chose them. But I did cut them out. They wouldn't have arms or legs if I let Seth do it. He's not quite Mr. Fine Motor skills.

Kelly said...

I didn't think you were snooty at all in the science fair project. I thought you were a mom describing a perfectly mom moment. And I thought you were completely hilarious with the title too!

Now to Seth's diorama. So awesome! I could tell they were polar bears right away. I didn't notice Jack and Annie until you pointed them out. So cute, crawling! I love the diorama. And how sweet he was so pleased. Nothing better than a child's art, and a job well done!

Bridget said...

I am soooo glad you let him do it all by himself. As a former teacher, I have seen waaaay to many book reports that were obviously done completely by the parents. Does the kids no good. Good job Mom!

Rebecca said...

Great looking diorama Seth! I am guilty of helping Hannah out too much on hers. She did a lot of it, but so did I. I did make her sit through the whole process though, does that count?

carlo said...

i ditto the comments that you did not sound snooty at all. just telling it like it is and that is why I love to visit you each day! I love the project!

Kelly said...

By the way, for someone who currently has her AC on, what is a heat dish?

Lucy said...

I'm not ready for the A/C but I sure could use a little sun. Up here in the great arctic north...we have a small little heater. It's got a reflective dish so it radiates more heat out and heats up an entire room. We use it downstairs. Comprendo?

[alisar] said...

I got to see Seth's diorama up close and personal. I have to admit I thought Jack & Annie were dead, but now I see the light. I think you are one of the few parents in this class who really GET that these projects are supposed to be done by the kids!

Kristin said...

Fantastic diorama!! I'm very impressed. Your post about the Science Fair was awesome! I loved it. Great experiments. I remember doing growing bacteria in petri dishes. So cool!! Very interesting that good old soap and water does the best job at removing bacteria.

Onto Armand!!! Good luck. Just remind him of how his clientele is DWINDLING...tell him I told you how depressed he was over his lack of clientele!! Maybe he will set you up with some free samples. :)Can't wait to see your hair. For all his moodiness...is it part of the job description...He does good hair.