While I attended Four Georgians Elementary School, each grade had three teachers. It seemed with each grade, two of the three teachers were desirable teachers and one was undesirable. Before the school year started, the class lists would be posted on the front doors of the school. Many bike rides were taken between my house and the school in the weeks before school started to check for these lists. When the lists were up and the class determined, our fates were sealed. Up until fourth grade, I had been lucky in my placement. Mrs. Veroulis for first grade was easily the most likable. Miss Kottas for second (she was the young, fun one) and Mrs. Frankino for third. But in 1984, my luck ran out. I rode the mile to the school on my bicycle and there it was . . . my name underneath Mr. Murphy. Not only was I in Mr. Murphy's class but I didn't have a single friend from third grade in my class. I don't remember much of third grade. . . but I had friends and did well in school. I remember rocking all of my time tables and feeling confident in my academic abilities.
That all changed in fourth grade.
Mr. Murphy's classroom was set up with desks in rows. Each row had five desks and was separated by an aisle. Desk placement was earned with good behavior and the ultimate award was a front row desk. The kids in the front stayed there until they lost their spot and had to move to the back of the row. Somehow I ended up in the back of the row and stayed there the entire year. Oh, I moved up a seat from time to time but I always got in trouble for talking. Each of my quarter report cards has a big "N" for Avoids Unnecessary Talking. The "N" standing for Needs Improvement. It was the elementary equivalent of an "F" after S-, S, S+ and E. I hovered there in the back two seats the entire year. It's true that you start to bond with other riff raff when you are treated like one. I was friends in class with all of the trouble makers which is probably why I got all of those "N"s. But they were all boys so their friendship in class didn't continue past the doors at recess.
Recess was so painful. At the beginning of the year, I clung onto my old 3rd grade friendships but soon those girls were best friends with the other girls in their class and each clique started systematically dumping me. That was the term for losing a person at recess. When you wanted them to go away, you "dumped" them. Then the rest of the group would usually link arms and walk away. I started hanging out with the adult recess aids. I remember linking arms with Mrs. Anderson. I thought she looked like Farrah Fawcett (which looking back, she was probably actually trying to). A new girl moved into my class, Becky, and I thought she was fabulous. We were friends for about a week when the other fourth grade girls also realized that she was fabulous so she joined their group.
I vividly recall thinking that I was flunking fourth grade and that I was going to be held back. Which is bizarre because beside that big, red "N", I had great grades. I don't really know why it was no one liked me. It could have been that mullet I was sporting but I'm fairly certain that was the look of the day.
What has stayed with me is how lonely it is to be left out and how easy it is to feel bad about other parts of your life when another is lacking. It has shaped how I act today. I've always had several different groups of friends. No laying all of my eggs in one basket for me! All through Jr. High and High School, I had these distinctly separate groups of friends that I would hover between. Some weekends I would hang out with my sports friends. Other weekends my MTI friends, or church friends or choir friends. It made it hard to really bond with any of them but because I wasn't exclusive, I insured against any dumping.
The glorious thing is my complete nerdiness was isolated to fourth grade. The first day of fifth grade, before class even started, Brenda Barraugh (one of the most popular girls in the entire school) played jacks with me. By recess, I was in like Flynn and it just went up from there. Sixth grade, my friend Lisa and I ruled the school. That might have been my social climax though.





9 comments:
Oh my gosh, Lucy! You needed a spew alert. Those pictures are priceless. Sorry about the hair- I'm pretty sure I gave you that haircut, LOL!
Mr. Murphy was evil, I'm sorry you had to experience him/that class at such a young age (that's Brendan next year!).
And social climax in 6th grade? I think not Miss Senior Class President. :P
You never have been a nothing!!! And you are smarter than me. I've felt lonely a good part of my life. Maybe that was going through eight years of grade school without another girl!! Books have been my friends--and I'm surely missing them. Not more than my kids or grandkids though!
My fourth grade picture was in one of those UGLY shirts, but mine was yellow with pink stripes. I think I was supporting the feathered look, but my hair was short. It was the first year I got bangs...I HATED them.
Fun trip down memory lane. P.S. Girls suck anyways, I mostly hung around with boys since there were no girls on my street in elementary.
I loved those pictures. I always thought Seth looked so much like Jay but he looks a lot like you. My rough year in elementary school was 6th grade.
I don't think I ever had the feathered look. My hair was way too thick to even attempt it.
Hi Lucy!
I know I recognize you. Do you recognize me?
You and Jay were in a BYU ward that Aaron and I were in, I just know it...LOL!
I remember you as being athletic and outdoors-y with wearing either Tevas or Birkenstock a lot.
Am I up in the night or do we know each other? LOL!
Dana
I'm not sure. I have a very common face and get told quite often that I look familiar. Jay and I were in BYU 59th ward (I think). I have a great memories for some things but completely space out others so it's very possible that we know each other. Especially if we were at BYU during the same time. That place is a web! Send me more info 'cause I'm glad to know you now. :)
I did wear Tevas and Birkenstocks all the time. I hate socks.
Oh my goodness, Lucy I have been laughing for 10 minutes, not due to your unfortunate circumstances in 4th grade, but those pictures brought back loads of memories! I'm glad we knew each other at your social climax, I would hate to think that I was one of the snobby girls! I fortunately have very few memories of my childhood before I moved to Helena, I hope it isn't due to trauma that I have suppressed those times in my life, I just have a really bad memory! I'm glad you were in my life back then, you were a huge influence on me, for the better of course, I'm glad for our friendship still!
Lucy-
I linked to Jay's blog and watched the little clip he made of you guys and now I am positive I know you. :)
We were in BYU 59th ward too but I can't remember the Bishops name.
We lived in an apartment complex across the street from Liberty Square. I am pretty sure that would have been in the 59th ward's boundaries.
I am SO awful with names but I never forget a face, ever.
I think we played ball together, either volleyball or basketball with the ward. I am thinking volleyball.
Hmmm... what else? That is all I can think of for now. I will keep picking my pea brain though...LOL!
I did have the same hair! It was about 4th grade too!
Christi
Post a Comment