Growing up, sleeping over at a friend’s house was one of my favorite things to do. From as early as second or third grade, I had sleepovers at my cousin’s house. I know fifth and sixth grade were full of them, mostly attached to a birthday celebration, and they continued through high school. I have many fond memories of staying up too late, eating pizza out of the box and not at a table, drinking soda, watching movies, dancing, playing MASH and talking about boys. I also have plenty of not so fond memories of watching totally inappropriate movies, playing a Ouiji board, trying to make each other faint and be “stiff as a board,” sneaking out to see boys, seeing pornography and other less than ideal situations.
I never thought about it much as a parent until a General Authority spoke about the topic a few years ago. Due to us moving around frequently during Jay’s medical training, we never really faced the dilemma with Seth as he seemed to lack the close friends that would normally invoke an invitation during his younger years. Although we had already made a decision as parents against sleepovers for any of our boys, listening to this conference talk reaffirmed our decision. Since then, Seth has been invited to a few of his friends’ homes for sleepovers but we’ve politely declined without much argument from him. Because he’s not very verbal, I’m not completely certain he doesn’t hate us for this protective parenting strategy but I rationalize that his childhood isn’t deprived because he gets the flavor of a sleepover when visiting with cousins yet in the parent approved environment of trusted family members. Win/Win.
Sam, on the other hand, is much more social and verbal. For years now, he’s been invited to spend the night with various friends and sometimes I feel like the only parent on the planet that says, “no.” Even though he wishes he could, and says so, he is Mr. Obedient and hasn’t given us any real resistance. Now, Henry is getting invitations. I didn’t think it would be as hard as it has been to stick with our resolution. Every explanation of, “We don’t do sleepovers,” feels like a judgment on those who do and...well...I kind of feel like a fuddy duddy.
Last year was our first year of enrollment at our elementary school and the year long reading program incentive was a sleepover celebration for those who completed all the levels. While both Seth and Sam completed the challenge with ease, I thought it was weird to have a sleepover at the school and told the boys they could go and I would pick them up that night. Neither chose to go. I guess it was embarrassing or something to get picked up early. I don’t know.
This year, Sam was surprised when I changed my tune. I’m not sure when or exactly why I did, but it didn’t seem like a big deal to have him participate in the reading challenge sleepover event. I know the teachers and the principle better as well as many more of the students and I thought, “It will be safe and fun and Sam will get to sleepover with his buddies for once without most of the dangers I hope to avoid.” He was excited this entire past week in anticipation of Friday night’s activity. When I dropped him off at the school and watched him greet his friends I wondered if, perhaps, we’ve sheltered him and our other children too much. Sam is so confident and fun and I love watching him build friendships with these boys. As they disappeared into the party, I was glad for him and made a mental note to revisit the issue with Jay and perhaps allow a sleepover here and there when our parent-dar deemed the situation safe. Like running after ice-cream trucks, making snow angels and getting visits from the tooth fairy, sleepovers just seem like an essential part of childhood.
The weekend fallout hasn’t been pretty, however. Sam had a soccer double header on Saturday. The day’s temperature reached into the 80s and by the time I got home from the stake youth temple trip (my sister, Sarah, came to help me this weekend and had Sam and Henry all day) and got the day’s scoop, Sam was wasted. Too tired to answer any questions. Too tired to be nice. Too tired to even eat. He went to bed without dinner (not forced. His choice) and slept solidly through the night.
I thought that would be the end of the sleep deprived hangover but he has been grumpy and tired today too. I witnessed a curmudgeon-esque reply to his primary teacher in the halls after our meetings were over and he was the most impatient of all our boys when Jay and I had to meet with the bishop for a few minutes. After linner (the name of the meal we eat at 3:00 on Sundays after church), he took an hour long nap and just wasn’t himself the entire evening. I hope tomorrow is better.
So, I think I’m back to my original guns. No sleepovers. For all of my original reasons plus the grumpy robot figure that replaces my adorable child in the aftermath. Still, that gleeful feeling of watching my son enjoy a moment of childhood remains fresh in my memory. It makes it hard to completely commit. I hope my awesome parenting skills are what they need to be to both protect my children and let them BE children.
What’s your stance? No right or wrongs here, just experiences and choices, if you please.
Sleep tight, tired boy. And no more lip tomorrow!:)
Sunday, April 22, 2012
Sleep Over Tired
Posted by
Lucy
at
11:06 PM
Labels: My awesome parenting skills, Sam, School
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
I have always held fast to our no sleepover rule. With the exception of one set of parents (who have finally moved away, thank goodness!) I always get parents saying they wished they had been as strong making such a rule in the beginning. My boys have never really fought it, it's never been a big deal, or so I thought. Just a few weeks ago I was asking my 17 year old what grievous mistakes he thinks we've made as parents. He said no sleepovers. I was shocked. That's it? Well then I'm doing pretty good. He said when he has kids they are going to be allowed sleepovers every night. I made a mental note to enjoy watching him eat that crow.
We are a "no sleepover" family as well. Michael and Jacob did have a sleepover with our next door neighbor years ago. The parents went to bed and they wandered the house until all hours of the night. They were grumpy like Sam the next day and I said no more. This was confirmed by the talk you mentioned. I'm sticking to my guns. There are lots of things that would be considered rites of passage for youth, but for me I'm not willing to sacrifice for this "rite." Especially for my boys - our former Stake President gave a talk that said that most LDS kids are exposed the first time to pornography at a sleepover. Just not worth it to me.
We have the rule, too. But I do struggle with it. I practically lived at my best friend's house in the summer. I even had my own closet at her house. So I also feel that it was a huge part of my childhood.
So far my kids have only had sleep overs when it could otherwise be labeled as "babysitting." And for now, I think we'll stick with that rule.
We do allow sleep overs but only under certain circumstances...we have to know the parents very well and they have to be the kind of parent that is going to pay attention and be responsible. Plus my gut has to be OK with it. And...this is probably wrong of me, but I feel more comfortable with my daughter having a sleep over than my son. Yeah, it does sound bad. But it also feels true...that boys are more likely to do stuff they shouldn't.
I guess that, for me, it isn't a black and white issue. (I know you'll be surprised by this but I have a hard time seeing anything in black and white!) We have to be wise with our decisions but we also can't keep them shielded from making their own decisions, either. Eventually they are going to have to chose (to look at porn or not, to drink or not, to take things too far physically or not) and I am not convinced that a sleepover at the house of responsible parents is going to force the issue simply because it's a sleep over.
Just my .02 though!
I used to have that rule, but it has slowly eroded over the years. My initial reason for the rule was to avoid hurt feelings. I was okay with my boys staying at a couple of friends' houses, but not at other homes, so to avoid the problem we banned all sleepovers.
I also felt like it was simply safer overall. And while I loved sleepovers as a teenager, I also know that what mostly happened was a lot of playing around (usually innocent) when we should have been sleeping. I figure any fun that needs to be had can take place during waking hours, and then everyone can get a good night's sleep.
Sadly, my kids have worn me down about this, and sleepovers have become common for the boys. I still haven't let my daughter have one, though. She keeps asking how old she has to be, and I keep thinking about how vulnerable girls can be, and I put off the age requirement yet again. I personally know several women who were molested when they were younger--at sleepovers. By a brother, an uncle, their friend's older sibling's friend, etc.
But I opened the barn door with my boys, and the horse escaped, and now I can't re-establish the ban for my daughters. So we'll see how that one plays out...
We have the same rule, NO sleep overs.
From what I hear about utah is that most parents don't allow sleepovers but they have stay lates instead. We haven't been invited for either which is just fine. I'd let them do a school sleepover but not a friends
I made the decision long before I became a mother that I would hold fast to a "no sleepover" rule. This is because of negative things I experienced at sleepovers as a kid, although I do have a lot of positive memories as well. I think that more and more parents are seeing the wisdom in this, and I wasn't surprised when the LDS church came out in support of the "no sleepovers" stance.
I have loosened up a little though, and I allow D to have sleepovers with some cousins, usually at grandma and grandpa's house. This way he still gets to somewhat experience the fun of it, but I know he is safe.
I haven't had to deal with non-family invitations for sleepovers yet...I don't want to come across and the fuddy duddy either, but that's so much less important than keeping my kid safe! :)
I remember being so sad our kids wouldn't know how good it tasted to drink water straight from a stream or creek -- it's part of being a kid drinking from a stream. However, guardia took the fun out of everything and was a fact of life of their generation.
I think a lot of things fall in that basket -- used to be a real (and mostly) good part of our childhood but is plain dangerous today.
I've had to rethink school buses . . .
Until very recently, my 11-yr-old daughter had only ever slept over at two friends' houses. I'm not a huge fan of sleepovers, but my rule was that they happen only once in a while, and that I have to know the parents really well and trust them. (Even though I know that bad things can still happen to kids who are in the care of "trusted" adults.)
Then about a month ago, she got invited to two sleepover birthday parties--in the same weekend. And I let her go to both of them!! I know and trust the moms, but I don't actually know them that well--not as well as my previous rule would require!
I never really wanted my 7-yr-old son to have sleepovers at all, but a few weeks ago, he was invited for the first time. They're members of our ward that we've known for 5 years, so I felt perfectly comfortable with it.
We also have a firm no sleep over rule. I too had many sleepovers as a child and had some good times (some WAY too good, thus why we have the NO sleep over rule, lol!). My girls haven't even argued with it in the least and when they get invited they know that they can stay late and then I will pick them up. It's nice that a lot of my friends have the same rule so it's not an issue too much.
We take it on a case by case basis for sleepovers. Recently I did a post where Luci was invited on vacation with a friend who attends our (church) school and the mom had taught Luci's Sunday school class a while back but still we didn't know the family well. So I said no but all worked out because the family ended up inviting our whole family to come along (they own a beach condo) and it was a nice getaway plus I now know the family better.
Earlier this school year Luci went to a birthday party sleepover for a school friend and she called me upset at 11:30 pm because the nanny had dropped the girls off at the movie for a midnight show in the pajamas. Luci was upset and she knew I would be upset too because 1. I never authorized a nanny (or anyone) to drive my child away from the home where the party was 2. I do not think it's appropriate for my child to wear her pajamas in public and 3. a midnight movie for 10 year olds is just over the top not to mention all of this was done without my consent. I was livid! Hoever I praised Luci for calling me when she found herself in a bad situation. Now I realize it probably hurts people's feelings that I let my children sleep over at a few select places but oh well, better safe than sorry.
And the grumpiness the next day...don't even get me started!
Post a Comment