Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Three on Tuesday

1.  My sister, Sarah, came to visit me this past weekend.  Have I ever mentioned on this blog how much I love my family?  A few times?  Well...let me just say it again.  I love my family.

This weekend was going to be so stressful.  Jay is in the stake young mens and the stake had a youth temple trip planned.  He had to be there all day and as the temple is two hours away, he had to leave at 5:45 am to get there and get set up by the time the first group of wards came.  I also had to be there.  I probably could have delegated but at a YW presidency meeting months ago, we each chose which scheduled temple trip throughout the year we would like to attend with the youth.  I chose the April trip as it would be the first time Seth went to the temple to do proxy baptisms.

Of course, that was all before I knew that Daniel would refuse a bottle and that Sam would have a double header soccer game and that Sam’s school sleepover would be that same weekend.  As I had to meet the youth at 7:15 am to head out, I didn’t know how to get Sam home and to his day of soccer, not to mention what I was going to do with Henry and Daniel.

I started working out a complicated he-goes-here-and-he-goes-there with lots of help from soccer moms and friends but then Sarah called and said Daniel’s 17 week pictures were telling her she needed to come visit.  She even took a day off of work so she could be here all day on Friday to help me paint the nursery (yes.  I am just now getting around to assembling Daniel’s room).

She arrived late Thursday night and Friday, she followed me into town as I dropped of my car that needed some work (surprise) and then we went to the paint store and got all of our supplies to paint.  I am not ashamed to admit that I am completely attempting to copy a room design I found online.  Of course, it is impossible to completely copy as I do not have cream wainscoting nor am willing to spend $1,000 on a metal crib, but I am trying to do the rest starting with the Benjamin More Gentle Grey paint color.  We got the entire room painted in just a few hours.  The next day, while I was at the temple, she had Henry and got Sam to both his soccer games, earning my love and a nasty sunburn as a bonus (it was 80 degrees on Saturday!)  I took Daniel with me and my mother-in-law, another saintly family member, watched him in the temple home next to the temple while I was inside.  He got a comfy and quiet nap and I got to watch my adorable 12 year-old attempting to help the priesthood holder baptizing him by really bending his knees.  Have you ever gotten the giggles in the temple?  Luckily, Seth didn’t see his mom’s eyes watering and shoulders shaking.

The whole weekend worked because Sarah came to visit.  Sisters rule.  Especially when they laugh at your hair color and cut because it is the worst cut and color you have ever had!!








2.  Speaking of the nursery, I have spent the entire day thus far online shopping for the rest of it.  I wish I could have online shopped for the room to be painted ( I do not love painting) but so far, I have found the sign, the wall decal, a chair (that one was too expensive and I went with a chocolate brown instead of beige because),  and bedding.  Still needed is a crib.  I have looked and looked at dark ones and it isn’t feeling right so I am going to go with a light crib.  Probably white as I don’t want to spend very much and will probably just get one at Wal-Mart or Target.  I don’t need it to be an heirloom crib as we aren’t planning on having any more children and some of those conversion cribs are ugly to me.  I just want a simple crib.  I have an old dresser that I am going to spray paint whatever color I end up getting.  Then...I think I’m done.  Pics will come when I’m done.  Hopefully in two weeks it will all be done and Daniel will finally get his own room.

Here is the room I am copying.  I just realized I still need drapes.
Lakeside Home contemporary kids

contemporary kids design by minneapolis interior designer Design By Lisa

3.  I don’t want to get too much into it because I’m still not sure where I’m at, but the most interesting thing happened on Sunday.  The talks in Sacrament meeting were about personal revelation.  Hmmm.  The Sunday school lesson was on having our tents face the temple.  The teacher also brought up Lot’s wife which is astonishing because her story has been on my mind for months.  Months!  The comments made in regard to Lot’s wife were a bit infuriating only because I think she gets a bum rap and all the comments were the typical ones always said about her but of course I didn’t say anything because that wasn’t the point of the lesson (which was on King Benjamin) and I’m still not sure what I think about certain things.  But the fact that she was mentioned felt...bizarre.  Like someone was playing tricks on me and I was on candid camera because everything so far was about things I had been thinking about.  Then, the lesson in YW was on the priesthood.  My 1st counselor did a great job with the lesson and just talked about the order of the church.  It was great and rather than seeing gender in the priesthood, I saw order.  After church, we had a meeting with the bishop that has led me to spend the past two days diligently working on my personal progress.  The scriptures that I have read and the things I’ve thought about and recorded in my journal have been immensely soothing.

I’m just saying that it’s either a HUGE coincidence that these very topics have all been brought to my attention within days of each other or the Lord is trying to tell me that he knows me.  I know, I know..many things in the scriptures and lessons can be generally applied to many adversities but everything felt so directed to some of my specific concerns.  My questions weren’t all simply answered and everything isn’t just hunky dory sail off into a Jack Weyland sunset but I do feel like the Lord was saying, “I know the troubles in your heart, Lucy,” and, for now, being acknowledged like that is the comfort I need.  

4 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Your post reminded me of that definition of coincidence that says "coincidence is when the Lord wishes to remain anonymous." I love it when he lets us know we're not alone. I'm glad he let you know that this week.

Why do you think Lot's wife got a bum rap?

BAK said...

Yeah, it's amazing. I had a "coincidence" on Sunday that nearly knocked me on my butt. I couldn't believe it - the timeliness of the lesson, the subject, who was there, my own part - it set my heart a-beating. In both a good and a holy-cow-this-is-scary-but-I'm-gonna-try-and-trust-it kind of way.

Hugs, friend. You will work it through. Eventually. :)

Tara said...

Yea for Sarah coming to the rescue! Those are really cute pictures of her with Daniel.

I like the nursery you're creating. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Natasha said...

That nursery is beautiful and I'm with you on the crib. Our $120 crib we bought online eleven years ago still serves us quite well.