Thursday, April 12, 2012

Seth’s Yes Day

So, the tradition around here is that birthdays are “yes” days.  That means, that for one day and for things pertaining to that one day, I will say, “yes.”  No matter what.  So far, nothing too extreme has been requested and I think the boys enjoy the power to choose...whatever it is they are choosing.

Seth’s yes-day started with a large pancake breakfast with sausage and bacon.  Mornings with a newborn can be rough so the boys don’t get a hot breakfast as often as they used to and I think all three of them enjoyed Seth’s request.  I know I did!  Seth may have enjoyed walking away from the table without commands to take his plate to the kitchen even more than the meal.  In fact, while I was cleaning up, he probably asked about a half dozen times what he could do to help.  I always shooed him away and he smiled and says, “You mean I can’t help?”  I replied, “Only if you phrase your question the right way,” to which he smiled and left.




His choice of time filler was basketball.  He dribbles and shoots and plays outside incessantly but when I was showered and ready, we left for the bowling alley.  I’m not sure this was his number-one-to-do on his list of birthday activities, but, he wanted to do something and it is kind of slim pickings here in April.  Too cold to do somethings and not warm enough for others.  Bowling was a great choice because it allowed the little kids to have fun too.




Me bowling with baby.



All things are possible with the Ergo carrier!:)





Henry starts off the game using this roller to help him but ended the game by throwing his ball down.



It got a little tricky when Seth started to lose and I could tell he was being a bit fake happy, but rather than get too competitive, he changed his goal to being silly and crazy instead of good.  Mostly, this worked fine except for the one time he sent a 15 pound ball down the lane so slowly that it stopped in the gutter before reaching the end.  To move it along, he bowled another, lighter ball right into the gutter.  Have you ever watched those balls on a string that alternatively whack each other back and forth?  You know, Newton’s third law of motion: for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction?  The 15 pounder did complete its journey to the end but now the other ball was left unmoving where the balls impacted.  Eventually, we had to call for help and an annoyed bowling alley employee fixed the situation.








In addition to the bowling, we ate pizza and played video games.  Seth rocked the dance dance revolution and eventually got bored enough to walk away from the game.  It just wouldn’t end.






What boy doesn’t enjoy a driving video game??



Daniel gives Seth a birthday kiss.

I had to run some errands for the family party later that evening so I left all the boys home while I went to the grocery store.  Seth played with his brothers and was excited to eat his request of chicken-fried steak and mashed potatoes for dinner.  I was busy in the kitchen from 4:00 on but whatever Seth asked me to do, I must have mumbled, “yes,” because I can’t remember every saying “No.”

Jay’s parents came over on their way to the temple and Seth thanked them for their cards and gifts.  Clark and Stephanie came over as well and enjoyed some cake and ice-cream with us.  Seth specifically wanted his own birthday cake to smash his face into and his wish was my command, much to the horror of Henry who was looking forward to having some chocolate frosted cake.




Almost as tall as his grandparents!



Clark, Stephanie, Ethan and Caden gave Seth a means to annoy his mother...I mean...play basketball in the comfort of his own room!



Card with money from my parents.



Seth’s main present is a trip with one of his parents to some event during the 2012 calendar year.  Jay and Seth are thinking about the possibilities.  Dad would like Seth to choose the BYU v Notre Dame game this fall.  Seth thought the summer olympics in London sounded fun.  We quickly started setting limits to the possibilities.



Seth requested we sing “merry Birthday” instead of “Happy.”  All yes-day requests are honored!



He also requested his own cake to smash his face into.  Here, he’s getting ready to take the plunge!



He goes for it, not knowing Uncle Clark’s hand is coming to help.



Clark helps him really enjoy the cake.



Messy seth.



Upset Henry.



Watch the video to see how it all goes down.

We ended the evening with a candy-filled piñata.  The breaking of a piñata for celebration is a long standing tradition in Jay’s family and Seth has had lots of opportunities to whack at one.  He told me, however, that he has never been the biggest, who usually ultimately breaks it open, or the smaller, who usually gets the most turns, and has thus, never actually broken a piñata.  I assured him that on his birthday, his yes-day, he would get to break the piñata.  And he did.




Caden has a turn.



Then Ethan.



Henry used surprising force.



Clark and Jay loved messing with Sam by quickly raising and lowering the piñata.



Seth uses his all to finally crack it.



Picking up the pieces.



Happy Birth(yes)day, Seth!


10 comments:

Sarah said...

Umm maybe it should be a trip with his favorite aunt :-) on you of course! I'm up for London this year!

BAK said...

Smart kid to want to go to London. He jumped right on that one, didn't he?

What a great tradition you have. And good kids. I hope Seth had a very happy 12th birthday!!

Kelly said...

You are brave to do a whole yes day! Happy birthday seth! London sounds great. Smart kid

Lucy said...

Yeah...he won't be going to London! I was thinking Disneyland when jay and I first discussed the idea but then we thought our boys might me more interested in a sporting event than an amusement park. I'm still holding out hope that he'll choose me to go to a broadway show:-)

Jen Childers said...

What a wonderful looking day. I agree that you are brave with the whole "yes" thing. LOVE the cake thing. Especially Henry. So funny. Happy Birthday to Setharooni!

donna said...

Happy Birthday Seth..

Natasha said...

I want a Yes Day for myself now!

Love the bowling pics, isn't the Ergo awesome?!

andrea said...

Seth is adorable. Still holding out hope for a byu reunion someday!

Tara said...

The "yes" day is such a great idea! It's so funny that he wanted a cake for face-smashing. Even funnier to watch poor Henry's reaction. :)

Happy Birthday to Seth! Amazing how tall and grown up he is.

Kelly said...

Your Seth has always impressed me as being a great boy! I love the "Yes" day tradition -- how fun! And I really really love that you bowled with the baby carrier.