Monday, March 12, 2012

Time Capsule Round Up

I just couldn’t do it anymore. For the other days, I would continually log my day by speaking into my iPhone and it would translate it into a note for me. Then, on my computer, I would edit it and fill in gaps. I don’t know why I didn’t keep up with it on Saturday and Sunday, because I wanted to include a weekend log as those days are totally different than weekdays, but I was weary. It’s exhausting thinking about every minute of the day, not to mention really, really boring blogging.

BUT...for the sake of record keeping, I’m going to quickly note our weekend activities. Details about time will be missing, but my posterity will just have to use their imagination to fill in those gaps. Baby Daniel still needed to be fed. And, sadly, as of 2012, we still can’t teleport. I’m really hoping that mode of transportation becomes available soon. In the meantime, imagine me in my car. A lot.


SATURDAY: (Jay is on call and gone the entire day)

Breakfast
Soccer Gear Roundup (Seth can’t find his shin guards)
Drive hour south for Sam’s soccer game. Has to be there by 9:30
Drop Sam off and find sporting good store for Seth to buy new shin guards with his own money
Watch game from 10-11:30 (game started late). Daniel in front carrier. It’s cold! Henry finds other kids to play with on the sidelines. Visit with all the parents.
Sam’s team wins. He scores 4 goals!
During game, Henry needs taken to the restroom. Daniel needs to be fed.
Feed kids lunch at Costa Vida.
Drive 15 minutes north to next town for Seth’s soccer game at 1:30.
Visit with all the parents. Seth’s team loses 0-3. They played 14 year olds.
Stop at DQ for post game treats.
Drive home.
Home by 3:45 pm. We’re all tired.
Start fixing dinner. Ham and potato soup.
Boys alternate taking baths. Seth goes first (keeps spiking a fever. Probably shouldn’t have played)
Daniel is super fussy. Being out in the wind all day probably wasn’t his favorite thing, even though he was well covered. I wonder if he is teething this early????
Jay comes home and everybody eats together but me. Feeding Daniel.
Phone keeps ringing for Jay. Something is on the TV.
Put Daniel in his swing and I take a bath.
Read scriptures with boys and send them to bed. Decide whether or not I have the energy to pick up the house.
Do dishes, fold laundry, sweep floor and wipe down kitchen at 9:00 at night. Glad to go to bed without such a mess.
Wake Daniel up to feed him (can’t believe he’s still sleeping).
10:00 bed.

SUNDAY: (Daylight Savings Time Begins. A cruel and unnecessary time change, in my opinion).

5:30 or 6:30 woken up by Daniel (I was seriously off all day). I changed all the clocks in the house sometime during this hour.
Breakfast for everyone. Jay is gone feeding cows.
Get ready for church. Make bed. Iron white shirts. Comb everyone’s hair. (always glad for boys on Sundays. Making girl’s hair cute would take so much more time).
Jay and me take separate cars to church because I have meetings afterward.
Arrive at church and nurse Daniel until after the sacrament is passed.
Listen to speakers and then play for the YW special music. Enjoy the rest of Sacrament meeting calm as Jay takes Daniel out and Henry sits with his cousin Ethan.
Do church business (callings, meet with secretary and lady helping us with our fundraiser for camp) during Sunday school hour (so bad!)
YW. Got a new 2nd counselor so get her orientated a bit. Jay has Daniel during the whole block and I can hear him crying out in the hallways most of the time.
BYC for an hour
Home. Jay is tired and flustered by Daniel’s constant fussiness. Boys are watching Selection Sunday for NCAA tournament and NASCAR. Daniel is asleep in crib because he wouldn’t take the bottle I had pumped for him that morning.
Fix dinner. Hamburgers, Luna salad and frenchfries.
Eat together as a family
Dishes. Wipe down kitchen.
Daniel wakes up starving (I hadn’t fed him since before sacrament meeting!) Jay takes older boys with him over to feed steers and visit his parents.
Take Daniel over to Jay’s parents house to visit with them and Clark and Stephanie.
Home at 8:30 pm. Read scriptures. Family prayer. Get backpacks ready because I KNOW monday morning will be rough with sleep and time change.
Do stuff online (buy graduated cylinder for Seth’s science fair project, email, call my dad, get texts from lady who can’t be camp director, text bishopric member)
Read in bed for a bit

So, you want to know what I’ve learned from all this logging? I’m busy! Way busier than I thought I was. Honestly, I’ve always considered myself a lazy person. There are so many people I know who seem to get more done, keep a cleaner house, have more fun with their kids and I supposed I couldn’t do those things because I wasted time. But, I really don’t. I actually don’t know how other women manage. I have no idea how my life would work if I had to work outside the home in addition to getting all of this crap..er...stuff done. When would the laundry get folded? I have a hard enough time with that job as it is. Grocery shopping? Preparing food? Exercise? Family time? I mean...did I ever log reading with my kids? Nope. Henry does not get much story time. We don’t often go to children’s museums or swimming or to the library for fun. I go to the library but it’s usually in and out for a book I’ve put on hold. I get that my kids are in school so those events won’t happen until Daniel is old enough to need to be stimulated like that but most of my time is spent running kids around from place to place and cleaning up. It makes me want to say “blech.” It could be considered joyless except that it isn’t. Odd, right? We are happy. Busy but really happy. I consider our freedom and abundance to be busy with these things a great blessing. I wish I had more time to be a better friend but I appreciate the effort of my family to stay close to me and hope my friends know that I love them even if I don’t stay in touch with them:) Blogging and Facebook are about the only way for me to be a friend right now.

I hope if this does get read in 50 or 100 years, it’s considered a good, happy life. Maybe it will even seem simple and old-fashioned. I love serving my family. They are my favorite people and I want them to be fulfilled and satisfied. It’s interesting to me that keeping track for one week can’t possibly cover all of our “normals.” It’s a good start but even this week will be quite different (don’t worry. I won’t be logging it).

Looking forward to more March Madness blogging but I am glad the Time Capsule is over.


5 comments:

Jen Childers said...

You are definitely in the throws of a busy life! I'm glad you documented your days for your posterity and for my reading pleasure :)

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I enjoyed your time capsule, Lucy. I'm also glad you enjoy your life. I just finished reading The Happiness Project and the author said she discovered that the things that really make us happy are not necessarily things that make us happy while we're doing them...it's the sum total of what happens because of what we're doing. I agree with her and I think your summation validates her theory as well. You love your life and it's considered "a good, happy life" even if it's clear full of wiping down the kitchen.

Rachelle said...

My goodness, just reading about your day made me tired! I don't know how you do it with four children. I can barely keep up on laundry and housework with just my one!
I think 100 years from now, motherhood will still be considered a good, noble way to fill up your life. At least, I hope so. :)

Amy Sorensen said...

Yes! I am so glad you realized that you ARE busy. You are amazing!

And now, dear Lucy, I have,umm, five words for you (I had to count first. It was a late night!):

Lands End's pinpoint white shirts.

Seriously. You have four sons and one husband and that is a LOT of ironing. The magic of the pinpoint shirt? NO IRONING! You wash it. You hang it up when it's a little bit damp. And voila, no wrinkles! Seriously. They are a little bit spendy but worth every. single. penny!

Tara said...

Definitely busy. Reading it made me feel lazy. I'm sure it will interesting to look back on your log as life and our daily routines are constantly changing.