Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Book Review #6 - Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?





I am only starting to catch on to the joys of audiobooks.  While I definitely prefer holding a book and turning pages, I admit it was very pleasant to listen to Mindy Kaling read her book in her own voice.  Almost like listening to a really funny friend tell you stories.  Only, that friend would also have to be kind of annoying because she never let me get a word in edgewise.  Thus, my problem with audiobooks.

Still, I did enjoy this short (less than 5 hours!) and funny memoir.  A few times, she left her I’m-so-funny voice for a pretty thoughtful take on marriage and being nice to people but most of the time, it felt more like reading a funny blog.  Lots of jumping around from story to story with no beginning-middle-end arc.  Most of her antidotes were lists of her favorite or worst things, lists of her ideas and lots of commentary about how funny and fat she is and she IS funny (but not fat.  I hate it when her big reveal is her whopping size 8.  Hollywood people have zero perspective).  She’s also a good writer which makes sense since that is her job (she is more of a writer on The Office than actress Kelly Kapoor).

There is some language that could have been avoided but I think funny people like to swear.  I kind of get it in stand-up, where they have that single moment to make an impact but when writing, and editing and reading etc...I just don’t get it.  You have time to find a better word!  Use a thesaurus if necessary!

All in all, I enjoyed it.  I am a girl who likes to laugh and I laughed.  A lot.

No comments: