Thursday, February 02, 2012

A (Wo)Man of Many Hats

Last year, at about this same time, I was driving along a main thoroughfare in town and found myself directly behind a good friend.  Recognizing each other’s vehicles, we waved to each other, she through her rear view mirror and me, through the windshield of my van.  Eventually, our destinations broke up our impromptu caravan and we went out own way.

She texted me about an hour later asking me what in the world I had on my head.

I had skied earlier in the day and was wearing what I thought was a super cute cream colored knit poorboy cap.  Something must be done to coverup the never pretty effects of helmet head. I told her so and she responded with an LOL.  She thought I was wearing a chef’s cap and couldn’t figure out why I would be wearing one.

Funny story but I haven't worn that hat much after her comment.  Who wants to look like a chef unless, I suppose, you’re a chef?

I haven’t always had the desire to be a hat wearer.  In fact, I can’t think of any other time in my life when I’ve even owned any hats.   But, there is something about living in a mountain town, where Patagonia and UGG are the major fashion labels, that makes one think that a knit hat is the perfect accessory.   I counted today and I have five hats.  Five hats that I never wear.

I did wear one last week to an outdoor YW/YM mutual activity and after looking at a picture taken of us leaders, had the thought once again, “I do not look attractive in a hat!”  My friend, Lori, was wearing a knitted cap and looked adorable.  I think some people can pull it off and some people can’t and I fall in the latter camp.

Maybe it’s all accessories because I also feel like a total poser if I try wearing a scarf with an outfit.

Apparently, I’m not supposed to go after the “warm” look.  Here are some pictures for proof:


Me with some of the other leaders and one young woman who didn’t clue in when we said we wanted a picture of us leaders.  This is the picture that started this post swirling in my head.

Now....for the rest of them.



I should have taken out my big hoops since they are rarely part of the hat wearing equation.  I bought this red knit cap to go with my red ski coat but....I don’t know.  It’s too tight or monochrome or something.  It makes my head look huge.


Just a really bad ear flap look.  Probably the most warm hat I own so, if that’s the point, then it does its job.  Would a ball on top make it better?



I think this hat is so cute with its stripes but, again, I think it makes my head look huge because it looks so snug.  Maybe I just don’t buy hats big enough. Or maybe I actually have a huge head.  


I actually like this hat.  I think the bill helps but still don’t wear it very often.


The hat that makes me look like I am whipping up an omelet.  I added the whisk to help with the visualization.  

10 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

What a fun post.

I fall in the latter camp. Hats make my head itch. I wish I looked cute in one, though.

melanie said...

I'm laughing with you right? Hilarious post. I fall in the latter camp too. I feel like a poser wearing a hat and strangely, bracelets. Just cannot pull them off.

For the record, I really like the love hat. It must be the bill. :)

Bridget said...

I am a total hat girl, but mainly from pure laziness when I dont want to do my hair. Just an idea, but try wearing your hair down with a few. I really like your hats, especially the ball cap. :)

Stephanie said...

Oh the chef hat is making me laugh!

Kelly said...

That is so funny. I like the warmest one. Try keeping your hair down. I feel the same as you though. I would love to wear hats but I just feel silly in them.

donna said...

such a funny post! : )
I think you great in a hat. : )

Tara said...

I can't see what you're talking about. Seriously. I think you look cute in the hats. Though with the whisk, I can see the chef-hat connection. :)

I usually only wear hats on my morning runs and it's dark so I don't worry too much about how it looks. But when I was in high school I had a fairly large collection of baseball-style caps in various colors. I thought they were the style, not that I've ever really known what the current style is/was. :) I'd wear my pony tail through the hole in the back and usually tie on a coordinating ribbon. Funny to think about now. :)

Natasha said...

I have that same "chef" hat!

Carolee said...

You crack me up:) I enjoy your posts so much!!

Rachelle said...

Lucy, you totally crack me up!

I like the red and black hats on you (yes, even with the ear flaps, and no, a ball would not make it better, haha) and I agree with Kelly that maybe you should try leaving your hair down.

I used to be afraid of scarves too, but now I love them! And there are tons of video tutorials on YouTube that show how to tie them cute. :)