It's over. Summer as it matters to kids and to moms (but not to equinoxes) is over. Today has been spent with our usual Sunday activities but tonight, the emotions were revved up as we labeled shiny new folders with names, filled boxes with complete sets of markers and crayons, scissors, glue sticks and even a fancy new spell checking machine for Seth. It's the night before school starts and we....are.....ready!
The stars must have aligned into some make-Lucy-happy formation because this final weekend found both Jay and Seth released from their work and football commitments. We packed the van full of sleeping bags and camping gear, loaded Jay's dad's truck with boat necessities and headed to the lake to enjoy our beautiful family time together.
The boys must have said it a dozen times throughout our two days together, but it really was the best weekend ever. Our summer has been on the cool side, and hot, sunny days where you crave getting into cool lake water have been hard to find. We were blessed to have two of them in a row, and we have the tans to prove it.
I have mixed feelings about school restarting. At the beginning of the summer, I admit to being a little ashamed that my initial reaction to having my children surrounding me all day wasn't wondrous pleasure. I had mistakenly believed that I was that kind of mom, the kind that can say with a straight face, "I can't wait to get my kids back all day!" because I truly felt that exact sentiment during previous summers. The difference this time was that each of those previous summers meant returning playmates for whichever boy(s) were at home. Needless to say, with Henry in all-day pre-school last year, that wasn't the case for this summer. And that change to the flow of my day, along with the increase in noise, mess and demands for food, was a lot harder to adapt back into than I anticipated.
In spite my early summer misstep as the kind of mom I don't really want to be, the four of us eventually found our summer groove and most days have been delightful. I am honest-to-goodness sad that summer is over and our mostly care-free days have ended. On the other hand, I am a little glad that our care-free days have ended. It will be good for all of us to have a few more responsibilities and I'm hoping some better habits in time-management return. Plus, though faded, I still remember the thrill of child-free days. It's not that the days are less busy, because oddly enough, that isn't the case at all It's just....more....predictable? Controllable? I don't know exactly what but for me and my personality, there is simply less stressful. Not those after-school hours, mind you. Those hours between 3 and 9 are non-stop, which gives me stress, but I begrudge it less because I've had the day to prepare physically and emotionally.
So....it ends and it begins, as it will season after season. The key, I'm learning, is to try and enjoy each season as it comes and to spend whatever moment I'm in wisely.
Lots and lots of tubing this weekend. The boys, especially these two, got braver with each outing. No more tears when they get tossed off!
We still go pretty slow with this one.
Handsome guy.
Handsome guy.
Handsome guy.
Handsome guy.
We found some rocks to jump off of. Sam was the fearless leader. He is going to be one to keep us on our toes, I think.
Rock climbing to get to the jumping place.
This is actually the second time they jumped, because the first time, Jay insisted he go first. It was more nerve wracking than Jay expected and while he was hesitating, Sam patted him on the back and said, "Go, Jay. You're our only hope." Funny, funny kid.
Jay has wanted to try this since hearing about all of his friends jumping the cliffs during high school.
Then my thoughtful Seth went. For him to do this, when almost every part of his brain is arguing against it, is very, very brave and impressive. Sometimes I worry about the attention Sam gets (from us and from others) for being so confident and courageous. I know from comments Seth makes, that he is aware that those qualities are to be admired and doesn't understand his sensitivity is equally laudable. Big props to this guy for doing this. It was a BIG deal.
Relieved that none of the bad outcomes he could think of happened.
Then Sam went again, this time doing a 360. Unfortunately, he got turned sideways and hit the water hard.
Then my littlest jumper who said he would jump off the rocks when he was, "a wittle bit owder."
Fun enough:)
Then skiing.
Sam and Seth too but I didn't get a picture of Seth because there just a lot more stress involved while he's out on the water (mostly from him screaming about how cold he is).
Campfire s'mores.
Stories, games and just chilling.
Ready for bed.
And so am I (Jay apologized for not taking pictures of me and made an effort to get this one. Of course, being the vain person that I am, I had no desire to post this but have to reinforce the effort. I am glad he wasn't able to get any of me in a swimsuit because I'm fairly certain nothing, not even reinforcement, would motivate me to post those online:))


9 comments:
You are being much more brave than i am. I have been a huddled mass of weeping all weekend. (Even though I know that once everyone is back at school, it will be OK.)
I'm extremely jealous of your weekend at the lake. If we ever win the lottery the first thing I am buying is a boat and some water skiis!!!
What a way to end summer with a bang. I'm so glad you got to tell it good-bye in such a fun way.
How's today going?
What a fun way to end your summer! It looks like such a fun weekend. I'm glad you got it:) We still have one more week to try to cram some end of summer fun in!
what a great way to end the summer..
I am also sad summer is over. I really enjoy having my kids home.. This year i will have Jakob home with me, I am homeschooling him. So at least i won't be home alone.
Wow, what a great time! I'm so glad that you could make it to the lake for one last "wing-ding". The boys looked like they had a great time. I love the photo of Jay and Seth in the water together. What a sense of accomplishment for Seth to make the jump.
A beautiful end to summer post!
Awesome weekend! Glad it was all able to work out!
Oh Lucy! This made me miss you guys so much. I remember several long weekend spent with you guys that were very simiar to this one. I can't believe our summers have passed so quickly. Back to school is always such a bitter sweet time for every mom, for so many different reasons. I've thought about you alot recently. I thought about you on your birthday (happy very belated birthday), and today as we passed your old house on our way to Ben Burr Park. Looks like all is going really really well for you guys and I'm so happy for you. Hope the first day back to school was a good one!! LOVE YOU ALL!
Enjoyed this summer wrap-up! Can't imagine how fun this must be (since I married someone for whom weekends away together camping and skiing would be like moving to an alien planet) - it sure looked fun!
There is one blog I began reading precisely because this mom (I believe she is also Mormon - can't remember the blog addy, b/c I click it in favorites, but it is called "The Two Regrets") looks forward to her summers with her four children so passionately. I would love to be that Mom. Since I can't, I live it vicariously through her excellent writing (although she hasn't been writing as much - I think she is pursuing writing courses and doesn't have as much time for blogging - pity!)
Post a Comment