Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Book Review - Classic #6 - Wuthering Heights





It would seem that Wuthering Heights would be a perfect match for me. Emily Bronte created a novel of love and marriage only hers included tempestuous, and some might add incestuous, relationships, abuse, despair and a very non-happily-ever-after ending (though, some might debate that. The really unhappy people were all finally dead, which, I suppose, is a step up from their miserable and often times, sickly, existence).

I guess I'm not sure what makes this well known title such a beloved classic, other than it is beautifully written and perhaps a break from the mold of what was being written and published at the time. Her sister, Charlotte, had success with Jane Eyre, which is also excluded from the happy-happy-joy-joy plot club, but even that story, with its insanity, scratching, fires and blindness had some characters to root for. Perhaps Emily and Charlotte had a friendly wager on who could write a more tragic love story?

What am I talking about? Wuthering Heights is NOT a love story. If any of these characters felt true love, which is often accompanied by a sincere desire to sacrifice one's happiness for that of another, then I missed it. Instead, Wuthering Heights might just be the model for modern day soap operas where everyone says they love someone, when they aren't too busy plotting their demise and stealing their recently back-from-the-dead sister's baby. Wuthering Heights reminded me of Melrose Place - everyone is flawed and everyone is out to get everyone else. While I am a huge fan of the flawed character, Bronte's seemed overly flawed. What were Heathcliff's redeeming qualities? What in the world did Catherine seem in him? Did he make her laugh? Was it lust? Shared history? I'm assuming the attraction was due to having so much in common as Catherine, at one point, exclaimed, "I am Heathcliff!" Even with their many, many, many available flaws to choose from (selfish, violent, cruel, vengeful), none of the main characters demanded my loyalty. Am I supposed to root for Catherine and Heathcliff or feel sorry for them? I will say I enjoyed the nanny's point-of-view and narration. Now, there's an honestly flawed character! I loved how she passed off any responsibility, even as she was present to witness, and most of the time, allow, all of the bad behavior.

What Bronte did in Wuthering Heights was masterfully describe obsession. Heathcliff's inability to move beyond his first experience with love, with his adoptive sister, Catherine, is what drives this plot and all of its madness. It's not a healthy look, but certainly well crafted. From the description of Wuthering Heights and its proximity to rocky moors and miserable weather, to the dark and cold setting of the house itself, at no point does this story rise above its intentional bleakness. At least, I never felt any rays of sunshine.

This will not find a home on my shelf of favorite fiction, but I hope by reading this classic, I can benefit from understanding the frequent literary and pop culture references to Heathcliff and Catherine.

7 comments:

Amy Sorensen said...

Granted, it has been a few years since I last read this one (ok, a decade, but who's counting???), but here's my opinion:

I think W.T. is a classic for the reasons you didn't like it. By detailing & describing the arc of obsession---calling it love, but really, obsession---it makes a certain point about what love is NOT.

I also think that if someone has "loved" you in that obsessive way, it might resonate more. Or it might serve as a warning: don't think you want this sort of "love" because look how horrid it is.

Kelly said...

Wow, just looked at your list, and you really are plowing through these classics! This has been on my to-read list for a very long time -- as always, appreciated your review.

Kristin said...

I like Wuthering Heights for all the reasons you did not. I love the dark obsession--different from the usual books of this time...no happy ending...no heroes or heroines.

The first time I read it was in HS in my British Lit class and we dissected everything. The second time I read it was in college...for pleasure...and enjoyed it even more. It made me wish I could've known those Bronte sisters. They must've been a trip!!

Amy S.- I agree with your comment 100%

Like it or not it is a story that stays with you...and is constantly alluded to in literature, culture, music etc.

Can't wait to read more reviews!!

[alisar] said...

Them's fighting words. Annie is going to have a blog brawl with you. It's her absolute favorite book ever. I look forward to seeing you two scrap.

ShelleyG said...

I read this book 3 times back in HS and i can honestly say I can't really remember much about it except I did not love it. OK, OK, I was really immature in HS, but let's face it, I haven't grown up much since them. I liked your review as well as the other comments on the book. It almost makes me want to reread it, or even tackle some classics myself....almost. That's just another reason I am glad you are my friend-so I can read classics vicariously through you. :) Keep crossin' 'em off the list-it makes me feel pretty accomplished.

ShelleyG said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy Hill said...

This was one of my favorites back in HS, as well. My mother had a copy with a special wooden, illustrated cover. Perhaps this helped. I loved the way the dark atmosphere mirrored the action of the novel. I loved the conflicted love/obsession. I even loved reading about the dogs. I had fun teaching it when I taught HS, but I don't think my students shared my love.