Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Book Review - The Elegance of the Hedgehog





This is why I belong to a bookclub.

I've seen The Elegance of the Hedgehog on prominent display in bookstores.  I recognized the title as it showed up as "to read" or rated by someone on Goodreads.  It was even recommended to me by Amazon.com as something I might enjoy based on what I've recently looked at online (which is helpful but kind of creepy if you think about it).

Even with all those nudges and advertising, I felt little desire to read this book.  I can't even claim to have any good reason.  Truthfully, I had no idea what it was about.  The little bit I had heard merely warned me that the vocabulary was advanced and I might want to have a dictionary close by while reading.  I may not be a master of language, but I wasn't worried that it would be over my head.  So, that wasn't it.

The cover was disenchanting.  The blue is melancholy and the superimposed girl in pink with boots didn't please me.  Yes, I suppose the weird cover may have been the problem.  Well, that and the bizarre title.

What is a hedgehog?  Is that the animal Jan Brett uses in all of her illustrations?  It sounds familiar and yet I'm totally unfamiliar with it.  I have no frame of reference.  Are they elegant?

Turns out - no.  That's just it.  Nothing is as it appears to be.  There are layers - with people, with relationships, with understanding.  Perspective puts everything, even hedgehogs, in a different light.

The description on the book jacket and from most reviews describe a book containing the philosophies and judgments of two cantankerous women:  a twelve year-old genius, Paloma, who has already decided life has no meaning and thus decides to commit suicide and set fire to her family's over-sized luxury four-thousand square foot apartment on her thirteenth birthday, and the building's fifty-four year-old concierge, Renee, who disguises her intelligence and understanding of art, literature and music because she is convinced there is no person willing to respect a member of her class with that amount of knowledge.   She knows her place, or at least acknowledges what she assumes others believe it should be.

Much of the book is unnecessary.   While I found the writing to be engaging and the luxurious placement of lesser known adjectives, verbs and nouns delightful, most chapters are filled with Paloma's and Renee's lectures (you could say rant except most are written too dispassionately to be attributed to emotion) about all that is wrong with the world.  The philosophies themselves are interesting to think about, though I disagreed with much of the protagonists' conclusions.   The author, Muriel Barbery, who is actually a professor of philosophy, must have found writing the theories and ideas that envelop her professional life into as the thoughts of two fictional characters in a novel tremendously satisfying.  Again, however, I don't think most of the narration is all that necessary to what eventually emerges as the central conflict:  Renee's and Paloma's deep rooted unhappiness.  It certainly develops their characters, as we readers are privy to their points-of view towards the world that surrounds them, but most of it is probably a bit of showing off by the author.  

Eventually, their stories merge and the plot becomes extremely satisfying as both are touched by the power of love and friendship.  I found this theme of redemption through genuine feeling to be a powerful teacher.  Both Renee and Paloma have seemingly plenty of tools to find their own happiness - knowledge, privilege, security, access to beauty - and yet none of these things are able to permeate either of their hardened outer shells until Kakuro Ozo comes along.  Because of him and his interest, sincerity and kindness, two lonely people finally get a glimpse into the world of what can be.  

And to think I wasn't going to read this!  This book with the ugly cover and the abstract title was going to exist in the same world as me and yet, like Renee and Paloma, I was willing, even determined, to be untouched and unaffected.  Thank heavens for the powers of bookclub - spurring readers everywhere to read things they might normally ignore.

If you have the slightest inclination to intellectualize things - read this.  If you have the tendency to judge - read this.  If you want to read a testament that true beauty, real knowledge and what matters most is love - read this!   I found it so pleasantly surprising.

6 comments:

Jen Childers said...

I was wondering what you thought of it when I found out you were reading it. I will have to pick this one up!

Amy Sorensen said...

I started reading this for the last round of SDBBE (did you get your book in the mail, btw???) and I was sort of not sure if anyone would like it. I WANTED to push through all the philosophy and feel connected to the characters, but I didn't, so I switched books. (To the highly-unsatisfying one I ended up choosing...which was so ehhhh I can't remember the title.)

I will have to return to the Hedgehog but I do have the inclination to intellectualize...I will push on to the good stuff!!! ;)

Susan said...

Oh Lucy!! Thank you, thank you! I have this book checked out from the library right now, but (gasp!) it's overdue and I was about to send it back. I'm going to hang on to it now, and get it read. I'm intrigued!!

MollyJae said...

I've had this in my "to read" pile for months, but just haven't been able to get the desire to start it. So, I'm glad for the review, I think I will give it a try.

Holli said...

Hi Lucy, It's Holli, Rochelle Huff's sister. We met a couple of times. My book club is considering this book and I was wondering about the content. Is it cleanish or clean even? Thanks in advance.

Lucy said...

Hey Holli!

I honestly can't remember anything offensive in this book. The closest I can recall is when Paloma, the twelve year-old, writes negatively on how teenagers think they are adults which is why everyone at her school is having sex and doing drugs, but she definitely writes it as a criticism and there are no details. Just a mention of her peers doing things she finds abominable.

I don't think there were any swear words. They both love language too much to include anything vulgar. I think it would be an excellent choice, as long as your bookclub doesn't mind reading something with a lot of challenging vocabulary. Many members of the bookclub I belong to complained that they felt the needed a dictionary at their side. I thought it was a beautiful, if not pompous (but it was supposed to be) use of language.

Good luck and nice to hear from you. Hope Rochelle and the rest of your sweet family is doing well too.